Tim Cook Says Apple Will Donate to Coronavirus Relief Efforts in China

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Have they tried drinking Coronas as a potential cure?
Ha...

There's a reason why there are so many breweries in Belgium.

Beer became a source of nourishment centuries ago as an alternative to water. Polluted waterways led local monks to start producing beer as a way of ensuring that people had access to a clean hydration source. These proto beers represented health and were the literal manifestation of faith.

Reactions: orbital~debris

NMBob

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
Imagine if the virus can live in the apple bionic chips, then there would be millions of people contaminated by that in short amount of time. That’s scary.
Howard Wolowitz: No ma, you can't catch a computer virus.

I wonder if it will be like this when everyone is IN the computers?

Reactions: orbital~debris

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
are ppl for real? Do ppl actually think “iPhone supply chain” when they read about ppl dying from a virus?
I would imagine on this forum we do, because of it being a business and tech oriented forum.

Apple is a business, so some hard cold pragmatism is involved and it’s appropriate to discuss that aspect here along with the humanitarian concerns.

A pandemic is devastating on so many levels and it’s well within Tim Cook’s responsibility as a CEO with business interests in China to do this. And this is also true as a human being who naturally joins the rest of us in concern over the health and safety of fellow humans.

(I also hope China makes permanent their ban on the inhumane animal markets. The pictures I’ve seen are disgusting. Yeah yeah, I know we need to work on our own treatment of animals. I hope for that to improve and change, too).

3 possible cases of corona virus just announced as being investigated relatively near me in eastern USA. Yikes.

hagjohn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
5 cases in the US now. All 5 had been in and around Wuhan. The 2019-nCOV (Coronavirus) infection can take up to 2 weeks to incubate and can spread, even if the person infected is not showing any symptoms. The virus can cause fever, coughing, and pneumonia. It's a member of the coronavirus family, which includes SARS and MERS viruses.

Known cases Los Angeles County in California, Maricopa County, Arizona, Orange County, California, Snohomish County in Washington state and Chicago.

Virginia is investigating two residents in central Virginia and one in northern Virginia.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2014
Sunnyvale
Some people just can’t help themselves. Any excuse to get some digs in. Must be an empty existence when your first thought in a situation like this is to throw in some “funny” anti-Apple quips.

Reactions: TOGURO06

H.E. Pennypacker

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2017
NYC
It’s crazy to me that people are so up in arms about this. You people realize this is killing old people right? Not young healthy individuals. You also realize the flu kills over 50K people per year? The media lives on hype. 5 cases in the US. 5 people just died of the flu in the amount of time it took me to write this comment. Get with it people. Stop living in fear.

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
Chinese have trillions dollar cash on hand. US have tens of trillions dollar debt on hand.

The virus will spread in the US soon. Many US peoples can’t go hospital because of outrageous cost. Chinese can go hospital.

Now who need to help whom?

PickUrPoison

macrumors 603
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Chinese have trillions dollar cash on hand. US have tens of trillions dollar debt on hand.

The virus will spread in the US soon. Many US peoples can’t go hospital because of outrageous cost. Chinese can go hospital.

Now who need to help whom?
Americans can get medical care, but as you say the costs can be very high. So medical bills can drive people to personal bankruptcy. But patients aren’t denied care just because they can’t pay. They are treated, and the bills are sorted out later.

And yes, we will be happy to help China if they need help, presuming they’re not too proud to accept it.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Donations are a nice gesture but not sure how any of that will stop this or any other future outbreak from occurring.

When you have a population of 1.4 billion people that have a black market for exotic and potentially infected animals, this stuff will happen.

Personally I find it savage and disgusting what passes for "food" in China.

compwiz1202

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
Americans can get medical care, but as you say the costs can be very high. So medical bills can drive people to personal bankruptcy. But patients aren’t denied care just because they can’t pay. They are treated, and the bills are sorted out later.

And yes, we will be happy to help China if they need help, presuming they’re not too proud to accept it.
Issue is due to cost even for regular Dr visits anymore, Americans won't go anywhere until it is really bad, and it may be too late.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
It’s crazy to me that people are so up in arms about this. You people realize this is killing old people right? Not young healthy individuals. You also realize the flu kills over 50K people per year? The media lives on hype. 5 cases in the US. 5 people just died of the flu in the amount of time it took me to write this comment. Get with it people. Stop living in fear.
I suspect a good portion of the concern around this virus is more entertainment related at this point. If, in a few weeks the cases escalate to exceed a standard flu season then it's a real emergency. Still, good to know its out there to keep tabs on it.

PickUrPoison

macrumors 603
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Issue is due to cost even for regular Dr visits anymore, Americans won't go anywhere until it is really bad, and it may be too late.
You’re overgeneralizing. Many Americans have health insurance and even then they don’t run to the doctor for a cold or flu virus.

Viruses with long infectious incubation periods that are initially mild or asymptomatic have a high potential for creating epidemics.

That’s true regardless of the number of insured or the cost of services.
- - Post merged: - -

I suspect a good portion of the concern around this virus is more entertainment related at this point. If, in a few weeks the cases escalate to exceed a standard flu season then it's a real emergency. Still, good to know its out there to keep tabs on it.
I’d like to think entertainment is the wrong word.

Reactions: tongxinshe

Emanuel Rodriguez

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2018
Imagine if the virus can live in the apple bionic chips, then there would be millions of people contaminated by that in short amount of time. That’s scary.
Not really, the mortality rate is about where the normal flu is. People, as usual, are hoping and praying for the world to end so they don't have to settle their credit card debts, or whatever it is (I really don't understand it). This disease may spread, it may even go global. The world will go on, sorry to say.

Justanotherfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2018
China would survive just fine. Yes they might feel it for a short time. But they will be fine.

It would take some several years to move all production. That would be a killer.
Lol, look up the term “shareholders” sometime.

You understand that Foxconn isn’t owned by like 2 cousins or something, yeah??
In your mind- if they announced: “Hey, we decided to cancel all contracts with our very largest customer! Yeah, they have no problems paying us and we have no issues with them. We were kinda thinking “just because”. We have a half-dozen factories with specialty machinery ONLY used for their specific processes, that have no other application. They cost a few billion, but hey- why not scrap them for the sheer hell of it?”- that they wouldn’t be IMMEDIATELY voted out & replaced by someone not so idiotic as to throw away money?

There are silly ideas..... there are stupid ideas... there are absurd ideas- then a few thousand miles past those, lives the idea that Foxconn will suddenly cease all sales of components to Apple.

JohnnieBBadde

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2014
Maybe Apple could design minimalistic and easy-to-clean shower facilities ("bath & desinfection") so that after their shift every worker at the factories has an opportunity to wash up more thoroughly than they would have at their dorms?

Let's concentrate on personal hygiene to reduce the risk of getting infected!

code-m

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Apple notoriously keeps its excess stock pretty low.
It depends on the situation, there were reports when tariffs may go into effect in Dec that Apple was looking to increase production and stock. Fortunately that additional tax did not happen. I presume Apple plays the inventory balancing game to keep enough for 6 weeks supply and bumps to 10 weeks if due to extenuating circumstances.
- - Post merged: - -

Imagine if the Sun exploded. Billions of people dead in less than 10 minutes.

Now that’s scary. And it’s actually going to happen, unlike your groundless fear.
First if the Sun did explode all life in our solar system would cease to exist.
Second our Sun is a white dwarf which means it will not explode just expand, get really hot then cool down and shrink. During the expansion phase earth will be too hot for anything to survive so there you have it. Both scenarios life on earth will perish.
It is going to happen not in our lifetime or our children’s or grandchildren’s or great grandchildren’s, but whatever with the hyperbole response to another.

Last edited:
Reactions: jonblatho

jonblatho

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2014
Missouri
It depends on the situation, there were reports when tariffs may go into effect in Dec that Apple was looking to increase production and stock. Fortunately that additional tax did not happen. I presume Apple plays the inventory balancing game to keep enough for 6 weeks supply and bumps to 10 weeks if due to extenuating circumstances.
Absolutely. I was just saying that for a company (and certainly a retailer) of Apple’s size, it’s a remarkably lean operation. From what I’ve heard even 6 weeks is probably too much, but I have only anecdotes and certainly no real numbers.

Reactions: code-m

code-m

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Absolutely. I was just saying that for a company (and certainly a retailer) of Apple’s size, it’s a remarkably lean operation. From what I’ve heard even 6 weeks is probably too much, but I have only anecdotes and certainly no real numbers.
Lean about 10-15 years ago, with its present presence and market cap a global company of this amount of revenue and profit has enough of a buffer and strategy to have steady stock. Anyone people Apple is still operating like a Mom & Pop shop is just fear mongering the market. I agree probably a leaner operation compared to its competitors.