Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook continued his New York City tour this week with a wide-ranging Good Morning America interview about the iPhone 7, AirPods, virtual reality, and other topics. A teaser of the interview was first shared yesterday.

On the subject of virtual reality, Cook said that augmented reality is actually the "larger of the two," because it allows people to "be very present" while using the technology. Cook added that "less people would be interested" in virtual reality, but that the technology has interesting use cases for education and gaming.
"There's virtual reality and there's augmented reality -- both of these are incredibly interesting. But my own view is that augmented reality is the larger of the two, probably by far, because this gives the capability for both of us to sit and be very present, talking to each other, but also have other things -- visually -- for both of us to see. Maybe it's something we're talking about, maybe it's someone else here who's not here present but who can be made to appear to be present."
When questioned about the iPhone 7's lack of a headphone jack, Cook touted wireless as the future and said the plug's removal provides space for other features like a larger battery and stereo speakers:
Wireless is the future. When you decide on what the future is, you want to get there as soon as you can. Why is that important for the consumer? Well, that plug, that jack, takes up a lot of space in the phone, and there's a lot more important things we can provide for the consumer than that jack. We can provide a larger battery. The stereo speakers I mentioned -- those were also enabled because the jack is not there anymore.
Addressing potential concerns about AirPods falling out or being misplaced, Cook said their charging case is a "great place" to keep them and added that he has "never personally had one fall out" thanks to the wireless design.
“There’s a little case that you put the AirPods in. Magnetically, they’re sort of sucked down into the case. It’s a great place to both charge them and keep them. I’ve been wearing them for a while, and because they don’t have wires on them — the wires tend to help the earbud to fall out, because it applies weight on those. By snipping the wires, I have never personally had one fall out. I’ve been on treadmills. Walking. All the things you would normally do.”
tim-cook-ps-161.jpg

During his trip to New York this week, Cook has also visited P.S. 161 The Crown School in Brooklyn and Apple's new World Trade Center store in Manhattan. Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts, services chief Eddy Cue, and marketing executive Greg Joswiak were also on hand for the store visit.

Article Link: Tim Cook Says Augmented Reality is 'Larger' Than Virtual Reality

Last edited:

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
I agree with him on the augmented reality, but I'm not sure battery life is there for a complete wireless future (unless wireless charging is in the mix)

MacBAir

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2016
Portugal
All I see in Virtual Reality is paradise for those that don't enjoy the real world. It's a gimmick.

Augmented reality? I've seen and used some prototypes in the lab, and it's pretty obvious which one will be useful and not a fat neckbeard's dream of the future.

Anyway, about the jack and all of that, Apple killed it and handled it well. No one will even think about it in a few months, and all new Android devices will come without it as well. Thanks for Apple for pushing the wireless envelope.

However, time to update those Macs, pay to everybody that has problems with the iPhone 6, and so on.

Jet Black Macbook Pro, please.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
"There's virtual reality and there's augmented reality -- both of these are incredibly interesting. But my own view is that augmented reality is the larger of the two, probably by far, because this gives the capability for both of us to sit and be very present, talking to each other, but also have other things -- visually -- for both of us to see. Maybe it's something we're talking about, maybe it's someone else here who's not here present but who can be made to appear to be present."
Guess that EPGlobal meeting they had yesterday was good!
Glad I invested in EPGlobal!!! :D

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
If wireless is the future, why are they providing wired headphones?

I think for the same reason BETA was still offered after it was generally accepted VHS would be the format of the future.
Same with color television. Black and white sets were still offered long after the color sets were being produced and sold.

MacFan23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
If wireless is the future, why are they providing wired headphones?

Pretty simple isn't it?

Wireless headphones are still expensive. Until the cost of them falls (which will happen as a result of more adoption) it's not financially feasible to include them with the iPhone.

Reactions: nagromme

DisNerd

macrumors member
May 11, 2015
Stereo speakers? Isn't stereo achieved in landscape by combining the (one) speaker at the bottom plus the earpiece speaker? How does this needed the remove of the jack? Tim?
It's my understanding that the top speaker would require more robust hardware, which warrants relocating some of the display hardware to the location of the jack.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I agree with Tim on augmented reality. Done right, a more solid inclusion of AR in smartphones could be a game changer. Wouldn't surprise me if we see it as a major selling point for iPhone 8/iOS 11.

Canyonero

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
I fully agree with Tim. I love technology but have zero interest to put on goggles or to move to another reality in any other way or form. Pokemon Go, which I don't even play, is however a great example what is possible in this arena and how it can benefit or make the already existing surroundings more interesting or informative. Glad Apple is choosing their plays carefully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.