Tim Cook Speaks Up "I’m proud to be gay"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Michaelgtrusa, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

And so he should be. I'm proud not to be. Together we can all be proud.

2. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I could cares less about his sexuality, and more about how he needs to run apple.

4. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

I could not give a hoot about anybody elses sexuality, what goes on between two consenting adults is none of my business either.

5. minvoyager, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014

minvoyager macrumors newbie

Consider this, if you haven't before

Many stances that we take in life are actually a consequence of several prior assumptions. In many cases, we never decided those prior assumptions for ourselves, but just adopted whatever our culture and peer group thought about something. We assume we think independently, but we are often the product of our peer group.

For example, if you're a conservative that loathes liberals -- do you think most hard-core liberals became that way independently, each one, or was it mostly peer group culture? Likewise, if you're a liberal who hates bloody-minded conservatives, do you think each one became that way independently thinking through the issues? A major factor that moulds us are the influences that impact us.

Unless we go back to the prior assumption, no amount of debate will resolve anything. e.g. the degree of loathing between Republicans and Democrats, liberals vs conservatives.

Over the last decades, US society in general has progressively taken stances on some prior assumptions, such that the responses here, so far all in favor of Tim's announcement, are not merely logical, but the consequence of many prior assumptions.

I'll try to unpackage them.

1) Is there a God as described in the Christian Bible?

Yes / No ?

Assumption: Much of our society has rejected the notion of God.

2) Is homosexuality a sin, as defined by the teachings of the Bible?

Yes / No?

Assumption: as a result of the assumption there is no God, it follows that the teachings of the Bible are irrelevant, and hence homosexuality is not a sin.

3) Is Tim Cook committing sin for his practice of homosexuality?

Yes / No?

Assumption: Since there is no God, it follows that there is no such thing as inherent sin, which follows that the Bible's prohibition on homosexuality are irrelevant to U.S. society, which follows that it's fine that Tim Cook does what he wants.

That's how prior assumptions lead, step by step, to how people in society today see life.

But it is based on the premise there is no God.

Now, for the sake of argument, if there is a God of the Bible -- and there is historical evidence that there is -- then the outcome becomes totally different.

Just saying.

6. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

This. Pretty much everyone knew he was gay anyway so I see this as a distraction more than anything else. His privacy is gone now.

7. orestes1984, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014

orestes1984 macrumors 65816

You were doing alright until you mentioned god.... Of which by now anyway, most church goers who don't subscribe to the literal interpretation of the bible have said there's no major issue with homosexuality.

On the issue of liberalism, well, my dad is a liberal minded person so is my mother, my aunt is a rusted on conservative.

I've actually spent a lot of time trying to get in the head of a conservative person and have done so relatively successfully at times, but on a personal level it just does not sit with me at all well.

There is no bone in my body that has the intent set out as a final goal that I am going to go out there and screw people over to get ahead in life. As much of a realist I try to be, I don't believe it has to be a dog eat dog world out there.

Nor do I believe that life has to be either nasty, poor, brutish or short.

I have decided in my life that I am not liberal because of my upbringing, my family or my social circle, but merely because it is the right thing to do and because the alternative just doesn't sit well with my conscience, or psyche as a human being.

8. minvoyager macrumors newbie

Even that, in itself, is a result of decades of dumbing down of the average church-goer's knowledge of the Bible. As a result, most Christians these days are swayed by bite-size, pithy slogans -- rather than a deep knowledge of Scripture.

For instance, if we use a catch-cry, slogan, buzz-phrase, "marriage equality" -- who wouldn't be in favor of that? So, you see, even the Christianized population has progressed down the path of now making decisions based on decades of prior assumptions made by earlier decades of people.

For example, I bet you 100% that it never occurred to you to ask whether sleeping with another person, before marriage, is sinful or not. If you have never even thought about it, you are showing the result of earlier decades having fought that, pushed the boundries, and now you see it as normal, mostly because it is portrayed as normal on TV, movies and among your social group. I'm just using that as an example to show you that there are many things you assume that you never thought through yourself.

9. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

I've thought about it, I just don't care... My relationship with the church is on a tether anyway. There are many special things about being Greek Orthodox, a lot of them are cultural, I hold them very dearly, but I am far from a model christian.

Be that as it may we're all sinners in one way or another, so party on garth, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.