Tim Cook to students: 'push back against the algorithms' that 'promote the things you already know

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, May 19, 2019.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I agree but I wonder if he’s addressing this to Liberals too?

2. realtuner macrumors 6502a

realtuner

Seems more like a dig at Google and Facebook than directed to the left/right.

3. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

Nothing to do with left or right. He is telling people to use their own brain instead of listening to talking heads on the tv.

Good advice.

4. niji Contributor

niji

5. TheFluffyDuck macrumors 6502

I would take the dig at google and facebook more seriously if all three companies were not so incestuous with their hiring practices. Further more the left/right observation is quite relevant when all three ban conservative commentators with 24 hours of each other by "pure coincidence". OR meddle in foreign elections by banning services of MEP candidates they don't like. Which is FAR more nefarious than some spicy Pepe memes from a Russian bot during the 2016 election. I don't see separate companies, I see a cartel. The digital service industry needs regulation. They can hide behind the "algorithm" but at the end of the day there is massive group think within silicon valley. You can only think for yourself if you think like the group.

6. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Or it could be a dig at someone who watches Fox News.