Tim Cook won't pay taxes, citing unfairness

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Aug 19, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

https://theintercept.com/2016/08/16...to-pay-corporate-tax-rate-because-its-unfair/

Tim Cook needs to remain a CEO and not try to blackmail government for special privileges, especially as the US military around the world also exists to protect corporate interests - which is not a bad thing (but is a post of its own, given its level of complexity), but he's already getting quite a lot in return.

Since corporations are people too, let's all not pay taxes and throw big tantrums about unfairness, and then really bitch and mope as America finally crashes. What will Apple do then, since real stagnation and decay will occur then. The way China has been behaving of recent, smashing iphones in the name of nationalism and how they hate all things West and Apple is an epitome of Western culture, Cook might not be welcome there... according to coworkers who worked with H1Bs, most of them loathe the **** out of Westerners (despite our giving free training and source code too) so he might not be welcome there... The Irish already despise Bono's hypocrisy and tax cheating (not mistakes but actual cheating the system), so they eventually won't give a **** about Cook's antics, either...

Best of all: This company already manages to get away with 70% profit margins on off-the-shelf generic hardware and borrowed open source software when most tech companies using the same tactics see only "razor thin" profit margins, never mind wanting labor at 50 cents per hour and in factories with known big suicide counts (how not very pro-life is that, surely??), Apple just looks more and more like a big leech.

So, Tim Cook seems to come across as a selfish, entitled, narcissistic millennial snowflake that prefers to abuse and misuse everyone around him. It's a shame he's not the typical age range for a millennial...

And given his current reputation as CEO, even Carly Fiorina would be a better choice -- but private industry does not and can not act the same way as governing a whole nation of people, since the reasons and goals of each paradigm are or can be very different.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

3. cube macrumors G5

Before paying the difference to the US, they should pay what they avoided in the rest of the world.

4. akash.nu macrumors 601

akash.nu

Another "would be Apple CEO" knows exactly how to run the most valued company in the world..!!

5. samcraig macrumors P6

"I fight like hell to pay as little as possible for two reasons. Number one, I'm a businessman. And that's the way you're supposed to do it. The other reason is that I hate the way our government spends our taxes. I hate the way they waste our money. Trillions and trillions of dollars of waste and abuse. And I hate it."

- Trump n an interview with CBS' "Face the Nation." "

6. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, didn't this country start as a Tax revolt.

Apple paid it's US Taxes, these are profits it made overseas, they're under no obligation to repatriate that money to the US and be double Taxed on it. Tim Cook is right, Apple will spend that money more effectively than Government will. I don't see why we couldn't have a 10% or 12% Tax Rate on Repatriated funds, 10% of $182 Billion is better than 35% of nothing.

7. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Uh, I am too young to understand the full extent of this issue but...
    He is really sure he uses money BETTER than government? Look at those lacklustre iPhone. Look at those outdated Mac lineup.
    I doubt it.

8. 1458279 Suspended

The economy is going to fail either way. The government will never stop wasting money, 1000 Apples couldn't fix it, because it's not fixable.

We're trying to fill a bucket that has no bottom, it'll never work. We need to get over it, the system has failed. It's pretty ironic that Apple supports Dems and it's those same Dems that are crying about "fair share", while their icon doesn't want to play their game.

I wonder what the Dems would say if all these rich businesses left the US altogether. Who will they blame then?

With Dems, it's always someone else's fault, all they know how to do is blame others.

Don't worry, Obama fixed everything, all the problems are solved.

Obama.jpeg

9. samcraig macrumors P6

Really? Isn't Trump's WHOLE campaign about blaming others? Is the "Right's" campaign always about blame? Hmmmm

10. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Calling out govt corruption, graft, and war mongering, is not "blaming", it is called exposing.

11. aristobrat macrumors G5

The computer market isn't likely to get any bigger for any manufacturer (including Apple, even if Macs get refreshed).

Have you been watching the performance of Apple's Services segment (App Store, iTunes Store, Apple Music, iCloud Storage, ApplePay, etc)? It now generates more revenue than Mac sales. It's almost like someone at Apple had a plan (put in place years ago) to make up for declining sales in other segments... Weird, huh?

12. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Apple is going to build a car, I'm sure Mexico or Canada would love for Apple to build it's manufacturing plant there instead of the US, and get a share of that $182 Billion invested in their economy. The US Government is just being penny wise and pound foolish.

13. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

After reading this screed and the cited article, I conclude you must be drunk-posting. None of what you wrote, or the article you cite, make any sense.

If you don't like Apple's tax situation, change the law and give them a reason to repatriate their holdings overseas. Trump has the best plan for this, btw.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/02/wall-street-likes-trumps-repatriation-holiday-idea.html

14. 1458279 Suspended

Didn't take long for the "everything is about Trump" people to come out of the woodwork.

It's gotta hurt to be a Dem about now. ObamaCare if failing, Obama'a economy is failing, your beloved icon, Apple sees the light of truth and flashes it in your eyes.

It's gotta be painful to see the light of truth. Watching as your world of lies comes crashing down. Standing there stunned, in tears, looking for anyone left to blame. Now, you have to blame Apple, the very icon of what you thought it meant to be a Dem.

How painful it must be when Dems start turning on Dems.

You want others to shut up, you want to take away their rights, then you start to realize that those same rights also protect you.
    Click.jpeg
    --- Post Merged, Aug 19, 2016 ---
    I don't know how young you are, or if you're in the US or not, but this could be the most important issue you'll have to deal with.

The government spends more money treating poverty that it would cost to end poverty. If you can't solve this problem, you'll be living in a failed state.

I'd suggest you research Venezuela's economy. They are now taking the guns away from the people, the people are leaving Venezuela in order to find food. American actors have bragged about how great their system was, now it's crashing and the people are being killed at a rate as high as war. They are having a war with themselves.

Just as much as these cities in the US are burning down, having riots, because the government system isn't working. It might take a civil war to resolve these issue, many more will have to die before some see the light.

15. samcraig macrumors P6

I think both parties have it hard. I don't think the GOP is too happy with Trump. Do you? Can you remember or know of any time where GOP members have been "leaving" and/or not supporting their candidate... even so much as voting across the party line and being vocal about it?

I'm not blaming Apple at all. Who are you talking to? My world of lies? Who are you talking to?

Didn't take long for Trump to show up in this thread about not wanting to pay taxes? Of course not - He runs a large organization that also feels the same way as Apple, no? It's not some random interject.

16. cube macrumors G5

Lenovo: Where is your 13" Android tablet?

Then you can just use Firefox with ad blocker.

17. 1458279 Suspended

The mainstream GOP isn't happy with Trump, but the voters are. There's a HUUUUGE disconnect between the GOP and their voters.

The GOP removed their #1 and #2 leaders and still, nothing changed. Now, we're taking the party away from the GOP because they failed their voters.

If the Dems did the same, they would have gone with Bernie... Oh, wait... they DID go with Bernie but found out their votes don't actually count. hmmmm.... The Dems have imploded, but the Clinton machine knew this was happening so they cut their voters out of the process.

How's it feel to be cut out of the process? At least the Trump supporters still have their vote, the Dems lost theirs.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

Why are you asking me?

19. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Maybe.
    But what really concerns me is the potential risk of ditching Mac lineup completely, or messing everything up at least.
    Even though their service contributes major revenue, some of them are still crappy. Apple Music, iCloud music library, to name a few. Maybe I am too biased because I am a steaming hater but anyway.

20. 1458279 Suspended

Asking? I was responding to your prior post about people leaving the GOP.

21. samcraig macrumors P6

"How's it feel to be cut out of the process?"

What makes you think I was cut out of the process. I don't even remember stating which party I'm a member of. You can assume away - but pretty sure I never stated how I'm registered.

22. 1458279 Suspended

At this point, we pretty much have 3 choices. Trump, Hillary, 3rd party. Those that haven't been for Trump from the start, have lost their vote to a corrupt system. If they supported Bernie, their vote was taken away from them. If they've always supported Hillary, they are now supporting someone that the party had to help cheat to win, again the vote was lost to corruption. If they've always supported 3rd party, the 2 party system is likely to make that vote not count.

It's not so much you as one person, it's more about millions of voters that have lost their power to corruption.

23. samcraig macrumors P6

Not sure I agree - if you always supported Hillary - then it doesn't matter either way. I wouldn't call it a lost vote. You can call it anything you like. Your definitions tend to be pretty broad ;)

24. 1458279 Suspended

Consider this: at one point, I wanted Carly, Rubio or Christy or Cruz. I liked Trump, but thought Cruz had more gov background. I was probably 55/45 favor Cruz. Then it was down to one. I wanted a Trump with more deep thought type moments, but that doesn't seem to be happening yet. At no time did I thing anyone on the main stage were not good.

Compare that to Hillary vs Bernie. Bernie was kicked out because of a rigged system. We have proof of that in the released emails. Bernie votes in CA were given the wrong ballot and the vote that was favoring Bernie went the other way. We don't have clear proof of that (yet).

If you always supported Hillary, you now support someone that cheated to win. Most that support Hillary don't care how she wins, just that she wins.

I lost respect for Cruz over the "Carson has left" deal and Rubio over the "small hand / wetting pants" things.

I consider the ethics of the people I support, Hillary cheated and has no ethics. She shouldn't have won or at least shouldn't have cheated. A vote for a cheater, is a lost vote. Some don't care about ethics, I get that, they won't see the bad in supporting a cheater, that's on them not me.

25. samcraig macrumors P6

Given we are talking about many things on many threads - I just can't bring myself to have another circular conversation with you.