Tim Cook's claim to fame is outsourcing Apple manufacturing to China

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Zellio, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

Or rather, being the guy who convinced Jobs to do so.

Remember this when wondering why the imacs are the way they are

2. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

do tell your wonderful plan about manufacturing a computer in 'Murica

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

What's wrong with the iMacs?
    There's no factory in the u.s. where you could churn out Macs by the million.

4. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

Somebody unhappy with their shipping time?

5. Zellio thread starter macrumors 65816

Zellio

My point is that Tim Cook is simply known for cost cutting measures, and people wonder why the ipads/iphones are still at 16gb, the entry mac minis are unusable, the new trackpads and such are ridiculously overpriced, and the new imacs have 5400rpm drives with 24 gb fusion otions and no usb type c

6. fa8362 macrumors 65816

I call him Tim C(r)ook.

7. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

8. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Tim Cook is more famous for helping Apple gain control of the supply chain to ensure Apple can supply tens of millions of delighted customers with the latest and greatest products on day one of a major product launch.

9. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

no... Tim Cook is known for buying inventory capacity years in advance to secure components when the market thought the iPhone would fail, and rest of the industry practiced Just in Time supply chain methodology

i can guarantee that the end-to-end manufacturing process for iMacs is more expensive than it needs to be. off the top of my head:
    • curved machined aluminum unibody case instead of piece-assembled polycarbonate
      • essentially CNC / water jet process versus injection molds
    • their insistence on laminating their glass panel displays
    • the design means they have to buy odd / non-traditional fitting parts (e.g. fans, internal mounts)
    • the stupid amount of attention they pay on the logic board... i really think this part is over done but it looks nice i guess...
    • designing custom screws to frustrate ifixit
    • they co-invested a couple of billions with Foxconn to build out manufacturing plants
    • i am sure others can chime in with further weird examples
    • designing a new trackpad when nobody asked for it
    all this (and people love to bring this up) for 14% market share. for a cost cutting exercise, iMacs seem more like a "how to spend money on weird things"

also, looking at the market would tell you Apple priced / spec'ed their iMacs right where it needs to be if they want to continue in the computer making business. Sony exited the market. HP wants to divest that portion of the business. Dell had to be taken private through a leveraged buy out to survive. IBM sold to Lenovo. ASUS and Acer bounce between positive and negative margins quarter to quarter. Samsung no longer chooses disclose their consumer electronics business.

with these examples in place, i find it hard to believe the general PC market found the right balance between price and specs

10. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

You are 100% right. I would be embarrassed to sell an entry level mini. So stupid no SSD is standard. I mean really. And don't anyone get started on the "price point" argument wither. I am sick of that :)

11. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

[​IMG]

No need...

Do you guys understand how the world works?

Just because Apple manufacturers in China, gives negotiating power for Apple with the Chinese government...

You guys, don't want manufacturing jobs in america, you don't need those!

As for the iMacs, you'll buy it anyways... It has a 5400rpm at base option? Yes! That's why it's so cheap! Last years 5K model was almost $1000 more expensive! Are you serious? Even the competition is right now offering Full HD displays, and regular hard drives, for the same price, with outdated CPUs and Intel GPUs...

Not kidding:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-27-2720-aio/pd?oc=fdcwlp1394b&model_id=xps-27-2720-aio

Buy this DELL instead! It has ¼ of the resolution, it has an outdated CPU, slower RAM, the same 1TB 7200rpm drive as the base 5k, you won't get a dGPU, etc...

$100 less...

Crazy!

12. cynics macrumors G4

Macs being the way they are, hate it or love it have nothing to do with China.

13. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

Who in their right mind would bring manufacturing over to the U.S. Foxconn pays their employees $350 a month! You can't compete with that and if you don't use them someone else will. That's like 1.4 dollars an hour assuming a 40 hour work week which we know it's more than that. Bringing manufacturing to the U.S they'd have unions, 15 dollars an hour, plus benefits and healthcare. That's unfortunate but that's the way it is. You can't compete with China!