Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Early in the year he was saying that he was going to "double down" on secrecy and we have all these alleged next-gen parts leaking. Although I don't hate the leaked design, I think it would be epic for them to release the next iPhone and it not resemble what we have now in any way, shape, or form.

If this indeed the "iPhone 5", so much for Tim's theory...

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Think outside the box.

1. Tim may have wanted to "double down" on secrecy but once the leaks are out, anyone can pile up on the existing (accurate) leaks so the doubling down would have to happen with the 7th generation iPhone.

2. Tim is doing it on purpose as misdirection, as Steve Jobs did many, many times in his lifetime, and you're all falling for it.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
You make it like we're fools. Have you forgotten that we've seen almost every generation of iPhone leak before the announcement? Just like the iPhone 4 was "so fake" because it was "un-apple."

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I don't care what Tim says, keeping things like unreleased iPhones under wraps is not easy and stuff is bound to leak out. It's inevitable.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I honestly don't believe it is possible to produce millions of iPhones without anyone sneaking a part or two, taking a picture, etc.

As for Tim, the dude is stacking that paper. I don't think he cares if the phone leaked or not, and I don't think he needs a pat on the back from the likes of us. If I was him I'd put in a few more years, buy an island, and watch the world go to hell.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Give the sheer size of Apple's logistics footprint, and the amount of anticipation from the general public globably, it will be tough to keep everything under wraps.

However, the most important part of all of this is the next phone's innards, and there hasn't been a clue about what it will be.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
However, the most important part of all of this is the next phone's innards, and there hasn't been a clue about what it will be.

I was saying that on here last week. Leak after leak of the design, but not a peep regarding the guts. No news on the camera, processor, RAM, etc. So for all we know things could be insane under the hood. And even if the shells we've seen are the real deal, not knowing a thing about specs a month before launch is extremely impressive regarding Apple's security/secrecy. At this point every spec could leak tomorrow and it would still be the most kept under wraps production phase Apple has had to date (with the iPhone).

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Think outside the box.

1. Tim may have wanted to "double down" on secrecy but once the leaks are out, anyone can pile up on the existing (accurate) leaks so the doubling down would have to happen with the 7th generation iPhone.

2. Tim is doing it on purpose as misdirection, as Steve Jobs did many, many times in his lifetime, and you're all falling for it.

I still laugh to remember Steve's remark that people don't read any more. Then in the next keynote comes Apple with the iPad, and a very elegant reading application.

No one should ever forget that Cook is who made the supply chain what it is. What he made, he can unmake with a phone call or a fax of some arcane piece of the contract language. When you're a supplier and Apple is telling you if you leak THIS spec, you're toast, then if Apple's custom is a chunk of your business, you will comply and see that your employees comply. Could leaks occur anyway? Yep. Can we know if they're planted or rogue, pre-production marketing tests of two options, attempts to mislead competitors? Time will tell!

Maybe with Cook, the "one more thing..." of olden times will all be in the front end. As in "one more (planted) leak..." :cool:

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I was saying that on here last week. Leak after leak of the design, but not a peep regarding the guts. No news on the camera, processor, RAM, etc. So for all we know things could be insane under the hood. And even if the shells we've seen are the real deal, not knowing a thing about specs a month before launch is extremely impressive regarding Apple's security/secrecy. At this point every spec could leak tomorrow and it would still be the most kept under wraps production phase Apple has had to date (with the iPhone).

It most likely won't be enough to best the competition. This fall devices with true cortex a15 CPUs will be on the market. By the beginning of 2013 they will be mainstream. The next nexus will most likely be using an OMAP 5 SOC. Apple already can't keep up with the snapdragon s4 and with the s4 pro and many other socs being released they will have trouble ahead. The yearly release cycle is no longer cutting it.

Matt912836

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011

Now this is thinking outside the box. Even if this is the true design of the next iPhone, who knows, maybe this is whats considered their controlled leak. They probably realize the design is what everyone cares about, but is not the selling point of the phone, therefore leaking it is not a big deal. Its their way of hiding the true selling point of the iPhone, which will probably deal with the internal components, such as a new hardware component not seen in other phones. Not one spec has been released, meaning no hardware specs. Who knows, maybe the screen will have tactical feedback, didn't Apple purchase a company that had that technology? A "haptic feedback" screen of some sort. iOS 6 is really lacking in major updates, so there is probably something hardware specific for the next iPhone that iOS 6 must utilize for this major selling features. People are so focused on the outside of the phone, they don't realize its the insides that really control what a phone is capable of, and Apple is taking advantage of that. I have a feeling Apple will release something no one would have thought of, a feature that you would never notice from the surface, which is why the design leak could be true, but still a controlled leak.. Sad thing is, if this turns out to not be the next iPhone, I will be slightly disappointed, it has grown on me since day one.

takezo808

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
Early in the year he was saying that he was going to "double down" on secrecy and we have all these alleged next-gen parts leaking. Although I don't hate the leaked design, I think it would be epic for them to release the next iPhone and it not resemble what we have now in any way, shape, or form.

If this indeed the "iPhone 5", so much for Tim's theory...

Only geeks poke into websites like these. The general masses have far better things to do. I personaly only use this site to kill dead time at work. Night shifts are very brutal when slow. The general public will be awe struck by the design and the new capabilities.

Even now there are conflicting reports on the size of the phone, it's thickness and other aspects. But really everyone knows what the iphone will generally look like at the end. It's an iphone.

this is smoke and mirrors to hide the other stuff apple is doing to iOS 6 that will set iphone 5 as the trend setter for smart phones again.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Only geeks poke into websites like these. The general masses have far better things to do. I personaly only use this site to kill dead time at work. Night shifts are very brutal when slow. The general public will be awe struck by the design and the new capabilities.

Even now there are conflicting reports on the size of the phone, it's thickness and other aspects. But really everyone knows what the iphone will generally look like at the end. It's an iphone.

this is smoke and mirrors to hide the other stuff apple is doing to iOS 6 that will set iphone 5 as the trend setter for smart phones again.

I think situations have been like this for a long time, I used to say that myself. But honestly I think leaks especially with a company like Apple are becoming more and more prominent in the public eye as even news shows report on leaks now.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I've been here and thus far have never seen anyone say "it's fake because Tim promised to double down."

A simple search brought these up:

Three reasons why I say these leaks are fakes or are the result of leakers being misguided.

1. Tim Cook stated that Apple would be doubling up secrecy. These kind of leaks are the complete opposite of secrecy dooubling. If these so called "leaks" turn out to be true, Timmy's going to look like an ars....

That's exactly my thinking. Imagine Tim putting that up on screen to be met with a half-arsed cheer from the slightly perplexed crowd... it's such a silly design that would garner a worse reaction than simply releasing a 4" version of the current design. And you're right- they wouldn't possibly allow the real design to get out so easily. It would be an embarrassment to Tim after saying recently that they're tightening up secrecy.

I would really advise people take this design with a few bags of salt. I expect better, and i think we all should too.

Still don't really believe this.

Especially when Tim said: "We're going to double down on secrecy on products. I'm serious."

Tim did say they were gonna double-down on secrecy. Wouldn't it be neat if all these leaked parts and rumors were meant to track who is leaking what, and the new design is very very different from what we're seeing? Hmm!

Tim says Apple is doubling down on secrecy for new devices. This is all fake leaks to throw us off, or Tim was too confident.

Fake. Tim Cook stated that he would "double down on secrecy." Does this look like it? At least once a week we get a leak from some random source. I really think that Apple is putting these designs out there just to lead
people on and will blow everyone away come August 7th, or in September. Im just calling it right here. I dont think this design is real. Thats that!!!!!! :apple:

Need more examples?

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
People gossip mainly for one reason: to be important.

If Apple doesn't treat employees and/or workers like they're important, they'll resort to leaks to feel important. Why should they feel they have to protect the world's most valuable company and the interests of a billionaire CEO when they're making maybe a few hundred dollars a month?

As I see it, you can stop leaks by making everyone involve important enough that leaking is not worth it or you can become more authoritarian and control people's choices with threats and surveillance. I'm guessing Apple doubling down is the second option.

It's kind of a sad statement that he has to go out and say he is doubling down on secrecy, as if it's just a general problem. It's a very specific problem with Apple's own workers. And the doubling down terminology makes it sound like he is going to try to control them more, just like he has been so good at controlling access to supplies. Information about products is one more asset to control. It's strategic, like everything else Tim Cook has publicly stated so far.

I don't mean this in a mean way, but since he's become CEO, I haven't heard an original thought from him. He strikes me as curator in chief of Apple's continued inertia.

Maybe he has ideas. Just not evident yet.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I think that you are right. But I also think that as the curious and social human beings we are parts would leak regardless. People like secrets, they like being a part of something huge, and they have to have someone to share it with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.