Tim Kaine Delivers His Entire Political Speech... In Spanish

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Oct 17, 2016.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I have to admit, when it comes to knowing your target audience, Kaine has this nailed. This is something that Cruz and Rubio should have done, but didn't. Bush did, but we saw what happened with him.

Now, if Kaine can do this in Arizona or El Paso, that would really make some inroads.

http://www.npr.org/2016/10/17/498259554/watch-vp-candidate-tim-kaine-delivers-full-speech-in-spanish

BL.

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I honestly don't like the idea, but good tactical move given his audience.

3. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Why don't you like the idea? Spanish-speaking people are part of the US electorate and have been for 170 years or longer..

BL.

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I am more for the speak English in a public place mentality, but it's their right to do whatever they want, as it's my right to like it or not.

5. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Fair enough. I wasn't asking to criticize, but just curious as to what was your reasoning behind not liking the idea.

BL.

6. cube macrumors G5

If this church normally performs services in Spanish, it is very fitting.

7. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

He needs to do this in Nevada also. A lot of Hispanics are voting for Johnson in that state for some reason. And there are more Hispanic Trump supporters in Nevada then one would imagine there would be. And she is doing worse with them than Obama did. A little shoring up would be nice...just in case.

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Mainly for the overused word "inclusivity".
    Constitution is in English, laws are made in english, common usage is English. The "glue" language of the US is English.
    I am afraid that encouraging other languages will actually divide the population even more. Here in TX there is a large Hispanic community in which I mingle quite often. I can understand almost everything they say, and I can read most of what they write. (I am officially learning Spanish from January 2017). Sometimes I see people that have been here for many years and they can't speak a single word of English. Of course it's their right, but I feel sorry for them. They miss a lot because of this.

9. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Do you know if speaking English as a qualification necessary for legal citizenship?

10. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

While I agree that he should do this in Nevada as well, we need to take a look at the electorate living there. and as a part-time resident of Las Vegas, we should note that the Hispanic community in Clark County (making up Las Vegas, Paradise (read: The Strip), North Las Vegas, Henderson, Boulder City, Searchlight, Mesquite, and smaller towns) makes up 30% of the population. Next would be 16% of the population of Reno and Carson City. Everything else after that is rural, which leans majorly Republican. However, as they are also furious with Trump, that leaves them to lean towards Johnson, or McMullin, as there is a good representation of Mormons in the area as well.

Again, that said, Kaine needs to do this in Nevada, as that can definitely shore up the Hispanic vote there. Perhaps that is to come after the debate on Wednesday.

BL.

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

It is, but the test is quite ridiculous, and so is the citizenship test. Five questions that you can answer if you have watched a National Geographic documentary on the US. Way too simple in my opinion (and you know the questions in advance). I had to answer only to three questions

12. cube macrumors G5

There is a case to be made that at this point the US should become officially bilingual.

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

US isn't even uni-lingual. There is no need to make it officially anything related to language.

14. cube macrumors G5

I know there's no official language, but in practice it is English.

15. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

@tshrimp took the question right out of my post. Straight from the USCIS:

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/article/M-476.pdf

Page 26 has the details.

No absolute requirement necessary for it. If under 50 years of age, you need to have a basic understanding of English, and able to at least speak in phrases. Ages 50 or older are not required to take an English test, and can have the civics test taken in the language of their choice.

BL.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Yep it's so incredibly easy that it's just a joke. Of course for Green Card holders there is no language requirement.

17. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Easy for a a person which English is their native language. For others for whom it isn't, that is a different story. And I'm not just talking the Spanish here. There are a lot of people in my area whose English is very broken and stilted, as their native languages are among Hmong, Tagalog, Russian, Korean, Javanese, Samoan, and others.

Sometimes it takes thinking outside our country to get a perspective on what it takes to live in our country.

BL.

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I am ESL. (and my thick accent gives me away lol)

19. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Because English is *kind of* the official language of the country. I know, I know.... how dare I say such things. But, immigrants that came here from various parts of Europe learned English without much fuss. Whats the problem with these other people? When you come to a country as an immigrant its usually "right" to learn their culture, langauge and ways of doing things. When in Rome, do as Rome does. Kind of thing.

Ugh.

20. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I think we agree on some things! :)

I think knowing a non-English language in the US should be celebrated and encouraged. That said, English should be our primary language and folks that don't know it should be encouraged to learn it. If my Russian-speaking grandparents, who were ~65 when they immigrated here, were able to go to a community college for English classes and learn it well-enough, anyone can. Age and background are no excuse.

21. cube macrumors G5

There's nothing wrong with this people. The candidate CHOSE to address them in their native language.

22. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Oh wow, this is the last sign of Armageddon!!! ;)

Exactly. I am against an official language, but not learning English causes big problems in the long run, especially if we talk about large communities.

23. APlotdevice, Oct 17, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2016

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Uh actually since pretty much the start of this country there has a been a pattern where people tend to move into immigrant communities, where they all share the same culture and speak the same language. It's the successive generations who are more likely to integrate with America.

How difficult it is to acquire a language depends largely on how similar it is to your existing one. The closer two languages are, the easier it is for a speaker of one to learn the other. English is a Germanic language with a ton of French-derived vocabulary incidentally. Conversely the farther appart two languages, the harder it is. Asians and Pacific Islanders have the hardest time learning English due to the fact that they are completely unrelated languages.

And finally, even learning a language doesn't mean you can speak and comprehend it like a native speaker. People are often more comfortable speaking their native tongue because they understand it better.

24. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

And I can counter with that by saying that with people wanting to become active in our culture, and according to the rules they have for naturalization, are you seriously expecting someone who is 60 or older to learn an entirely foreign language to them prior to entering this country, let alone participating in our democratic process? If they have legally entered this country, established residency, and have conformed to all applicable laws, they should not have to learn an entire language before obtaining citizenship. and if they feel comfortable with someone speaking to them in a language they can understand, then all the better, because they are also part of our electorate.

To complete your quote, it is "when in Rome, do as the Romans do", not "when in Rome, do ONLY as the Romans do."

BL.

25. cube macrumors G5

If India can manage with 22 official languages and the EU with 24, I'm sure the US can handle a few.