Tim Russert dies

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by clevin, Jun 13, 2008.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wow... that is totally out of the blue. Even though I didn't always agree with his journalistic style, he'll be missed. He was one of the giants of his era...

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

4. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Tim Russert is dead - so sad

Just heard a special report that Tim collapsed and died today at work. Although I did not agree with much of his political views, I always thought Tim was honest and believed in his views, which by today's standards are straightforward and moderate.

RIP Tim!

5. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

I watched MTP alot, and really likes it. He sure asked very tough questions. As good as corporate media can get.

This is really just from nowhere.... I suddenly got a call from friend telling me this,,, just unbelievable.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

7. TimJim macrumors 6502a

8. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

he was one of the few that made politics understandable - I'm going to miss watching him during this upcoming election

RIP

9. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

10. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

the only word that came to mind when I heard was "F***".

Sad loss

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Ill miss Tim, I allways felt like he would fire hard hitting questions to both sides. Another reminder of us being mortal.

12. TheQuestion macrumors regular

Life is precious. Love every minute of it - even when you hate it.

RIP Tim, you earned it.

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

wow, shocked! All those hard hitting interviews finally got to him i guess. sunday morning just won't be the same.

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

A Tim Russert moment.

While I spent some time away from MR, I spent a bit of time acquainting myself with some of the media players in US politics through various sites and was impressed by his contributions on MSNBC during the primary season.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I'm gonna miss his white board. He was the one person that made election coverage tolerable.:(

16. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

17. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

its so sad when something like this happens 2 days before fathers day...

Rip

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

19. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yeah, I was really shocked when I heard the news this afternoon.

I always enjoyed his interviews and electron coverage. There's just nobody like him, and he will be greatly missed.

20. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You mean like when charlton heston died and like when tony snow got cancer?

Physicists all over the world are mourning his death. :D

21. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Solvs, we have many discussions, and they sometimes get heated. But, I have never seen anyone go negative over such a sad situation as this. I am sure you know this. I am pretty sure you were just expressing gratitude to the other members.

All of the sites I post on, Tim's political views are often criticized. This story is on every one of them. I am happy to report that I have not seen a single negative post. I do believe that everyone is shocked and saddened by his death. The most common theme is that he was an honest person, who truly believed in his views. He was exactly what he said he was; "A blue-collar guy from Buffalo". Everyone is mourning his passing. It would be cool if we passed the collective 'hat' and made a contribution to his charity, once it is announced.

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Wow. This was the first web site I opened this morning, so I heard about it here first. :( What a terrible surprise.

I liked Tim. He wasn't a pushover, and he was able to be aggressive without being obnoxious.

Perhaps I'm perverse, but my second thought when I read something like this is...who could replace him? Brokaw will do it Sunday, but could they pull him out of retirement on a regular basis? Or would they go with one of their rising stars like Keith Olbermann?

(For the record, I don't think Brokaw is pushy enough, and Olbermann, having taken ideological sides, is probably not the wisest choice. And as smart as Keith is, I'm sure he doesn't have Tim's breadth of experience in Washington politics. And besides, I don't wanna lose Keith on his show. ;) )

Whatever happens, Meet the Press is not gonna be the same. Whoever takes over for him would do well to follow Tim's example.

23. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I had no idea. :(

Same here, the only really good newscaster IMHO. Read his interview with Guideposts.... I thought he was way younger though.

24. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

My sunday mornings will never be the same without you Tim.

You always asked the question that american people wanted to hear and was always fair.

Thank you Tim.

Rest In Peace.

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

No, not like that. That was my point. If you remember, I was the one who started the Snow thread and was disappointed how it turned out. Despite who he is. This thread hasn't gone that way, from either side, so for that I am thankful.

Sadly they have, but I've actually seen far worse elsewhere, so I suppose I should be grateful they aren't as bad as those.

I've heard David Gregory is on tap to replace him, or maybe Chris Matthews, but neither of them would be as good as Tim was.