Time and Money invested but is it time to move on?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stayblunted, May 29, 2013.

1. stayblunted macrumors member

Okay well you all know that I love my iphone. Most of us are here for that reason. Unfornately my iPhone 4S that I picked up last year has been nothing but a hassle. For one I spent at least $430 to pick it up sim included and have had to make repairs on the earphone jack ($40) front cam and broken glass screen ($70) along with a new battery plus back glass($60). everything about this phone has been a mess although I love 6.0 jailbroken.

As of now my new battery is suffering from heavy drain, overheating issues and the front glass has cracked once again. Would it just be wise to sell my phone as is to purchase a new one (will not be an iPhone) or continue to fund this phone

2. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

I suggest keeping it till the 5S is launched

3. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Am obliged to ask, do you have an history of bad luck with electronics?

Sometimes, you just have to make a change.

Everybody is expecting the next revision available soon.

5. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you just need to treat your devices better.

6. stayblunted thread starter macrumors member

You can say I bought the phone already used or refurbished from a local shop, and when my first phone cracked the second time I did indeed have a case on it. Front cam and the ear jack malfunctioning was just at random.

At first I thought my jailbreak was the reason why my phone starting overheating but it seems like whenever the phone is connected to the Internet and playing music the battery just burns out

It's gotten so bad that I think it's affecting my service (T-mobile)

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

You might just need to invest in an otterbox instead.

8. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Your service might actually be the cause of overheating, not the other way around. If you are in an area where your phone constantly has to search for a signal or it has extremely poor signal, you will experience the extreme battery drain and also very warm if no hot iPhone.

It is like this with other phones as well, since it is more the network coverage in the area you reside rather than the hardware itself.

That said, I would imagine that it is possible that you could have a faulty logic board, but from the way you worded your two posts, it sounds like your phone was bought third-party from a not-so-reputable source. As they say, you get what you pay for.

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I wouldn't sink another dime into it -- though be prepared to take a bath when you sell it. Since you bought from a third party shop, I wouldn't use this experience to judge the quality of iPhones in general.

If you're dead set against the iPhone then check out the HTC One--but do yourself and buy new from a reputable source this time.

10. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

So u didn't buy the phone new?

11. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

So the phone was purchased used with evidence of abuse/physical damage by the OP?

12. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

I feel the title of this thread is very irrelevant to the situation......i

here is a break down possibilities of what you experienced:
    - Phone was damaged, repaired and sold to you
    - Phone was a lemon to begin with...
    - you have low coverage in your area
    - battery in the iPhone is not original (replacements from 3rd party usually overheat...its a common problem with cheap quality batteries)
    - It cracked because you were careless or had a accident in one way or another...

13. cenghgai macrumors newbie

14. cnev3 macrumors 6502

That's hard to do when you're always blunted :p

----------

Dang... you may have overpaid some.

I got my iPhone 5 for $99 w/ number port in promo with Sprint.

15. stayblunted thread starter macrumors member

The phone was bought "used" but no clear problems or damage was visible. It wasn't until I updated to ios6 that my earjack blew out and from there it was a wrap I had that fixed then my front cam stopped functioning

16. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

U bought a used phone and got what u paid for. That can happen with any brand used phone or electronics, u just can never be sure what your getting. Lets be clear u had a bad experience with a used phone.

17. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Nothing about what the OP has said makes me feel like he made a bad move buying used. I've had phones that I took great care of fail shortly after warranty expired. It is what it is. Partly has to do with physical damage, which the OP admits, and partly sounds like hardware failure, which is a relatively common occurance to be quite frank.

That said, I am not really sure what the OP wants here. Will Apple not replace the phone for $200? It sounds like you would have to put that much into it at a repair shop to get it up to par anyway. Apple will at least give you a 90 day warranty on your replacement. Or, as some have said, sell the phone as is and cut your losses.

18. stayblunted thread starter macrumors member

Does apple replace iPhones without any type of warrenty?

Btw guys check out the attachment I got that screen today

Attached Files:

19. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If your warranty expired, the 4S costs $200 to replace through Apple. The replacement has a 90 day manufacturer's warranty applied automatically.

20. cynics macrumors G3

I'd suggest this route unless you are just tired of your iPhone. I have plenty of friends that have iPhones with broken lock/home buttons, camera doesn't work, ear speaker doesn't work, etc etc. I just recently replaced my battery in my 4S. I think MOST (not all) of the issues with them are user related to abuse and I doubt any other phone would have held up much better.

On the battery. There may be a defective part causing that battery drain. Let me ask you, did the signal strength issue not happen until the battery and back cover were replaced? If so there is a contact that touches the back cover that has to be ultra clean and bent to touch the cover. If not you'll have poor signal and then much higher battery usage. How's the wifi signal strength?

21. stayblunted thread starter macrumors member

Hmm that option actually doesn't sound that bad. Could I replace my 4s with the brand new 5? I might as well take advantage of new Tmobile enabled phones if im losing my jailbreak.

There were no signal problems before the battery and back cover was replaced. Besides the regular dropping from 3g to edge coverage was good. The signal starts dropping now when the phone is in use and begins to heat up and recently I've been getting the "your service is bad " during most calls. :rolleyes:

Wifi signal is okay no problems there.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

No, not through Apple. You could try a trade-in program through a third party/carrier. With all the issues you mention, you are likely to get next to nothing for your handset though.

23. cynics macrumors G3

Unfortunately like mentioned its more of a trade in program. You give Apple your phone + 200 bucks (for the 4S other iPhones are differently priced) and they give you a like new same model. It's not a bad deal considering how much they are new.

24. stayblunted thread starter macrumors member

I went to T-mobile and they told me they would take my phone (screen fixed of course) for $221 credit towards any brand new phone of choice

25. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Nice HTC one or iPhone 5?