TIME Burns Trump - expect a deluge of tweets

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Mar 24, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...ly_figured_out_how_to_cover_trump_s_lies.html

Donald Trump is not on the cover of Time this week, and that must gall him. The president is the subject of the magazine’s cover story, the promise of which apparently persuaded him to grant it an exclusive interview. But instead of Trump’s visage, the cover features a single three-word question in bold red type: “Is Truth Dead?

I'm not convinced the media truly figured out how to cover Trump. But you can bet if Trump was told he was getting a cover (and it sounds like it from the transcript) - not having his face or name on it and the seemingly accurate hit piece this is - will surely lead to a tweet storm.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Two sides lieing, one has control of the media, one has control of the twitters.

3. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

What in the article is a lie?

Further - if you were a betting person - who do you think lies more. Be honest. Based on % of information coming from TIME Magazine or Trump? Who is more credible?

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I wasn't talking about TIMES in general, more so the leftist media who doesn't cover things like adult illegal immigrants raping 14 year olds in prime time due to politics

5. Zenithal macrumors 601

Fortune didn't include him in their list either.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 24, 2017 ---
    It's called a news cycle. If you don't keep up with new news, your ratings and thus your income lowers. The only time it's appropriate to focus on a singular story for more than one cycle is when it's a huge incident. Two illegals raping a kid isn't worthy of multiple news cycles, nor was the rape in Chicago that was aired on Facebook. In the grand scheme of things, it is but a drop in the ocean.

I've yet to see you complain of the right-wing media altering or editing material to benefit their side or bottom dollar. Something both the right and left wing media have done for decades if not a century now.

6. jeyf macrumors 6502a

Americans got trump as junk white noise and his popularity settled in as ~30% at the get go. Sure there will be Trump Flakes that see more up side and they should.

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

TIME magazine lost credibility in my eyes (and my subscription) when it published a first page cover, and an awful fake article full of misinformation, on something I was working on and didn't even bother publish two rebuttal letters sent by two important American leaders.

8. Zenithal macrumors 601

Which was?

And don't say flat earth so help me god...

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Flat Earth. I will PM you as long as you promise the specifics for yourself.

10. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Now I'm curious.

11. Zenithal macrumors 601

My appetite for a cheddar, spinach omelette has been swiftly killed by this ongoing joke. Also because I can't find the damn cheddar.

12. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I'm so hungry right now. I didn't ea enough after my morning run and now I'm graving a bacon and cheddar omelette.

13. Zenithal macrumors 601

You eat after? I always eat something before and then after. I've always hated the feeling of hunger after a run and having to shower before eating something. Nothing I dread more than an angry, growling stomach while inhaling hot steam from a shower. Feeling nauseous comes in later.

14. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I'm no fan of Trump, but if what you said in the OP is true and TIME pulled a bait and switch after actually promising to put Trump on the cover, that was definitely dishonest in my book.

It pails in comparison to the level of garbage coming out of his administration, but it's still dishonest.

15. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

They could have simply said that his story would be the cover story. If they left it at that - not dishonest but literal. I have no idea what was or was not promised. I'm sure that truth will depend on who you ask.

16. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

True. If that's what happened then they did what they said they were going to do. We'll probably never know what was agreed upon.

I'm sure you're right; Trump is almost certainty apoplectic over this right now. Because this kind of stuff is the only thing he's really concerned about.

17. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Esp after this exchange:

Trump: And then TIME magazine, which treats me horribly, but obviously I sell, I assume this is going to be a cover too, have I set the record? I guess, right? Covers, nobody’s had more covers.

TIME: I think Richard Nixon still has you beat. But he was in office for longer, so give yourself time.

Ok good. I’m sure I’ll win.

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Press wants Trump, Trump wants press. Both deny it. Interesting world.

19. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Just when I start to believe that the vastness of his narcissism has limits, he surprises me yet again.

20. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Yeah, it used to be a good magazine, back in the 80s and 90s. I let my subscription lapse in the mid 1990s because I was increasingly saying "Who wrote this junk??" after reading the articles.

21. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Right and did the right media cover all the death threats and violence threats the school received against immigrants?

22. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Ugh. Yup, they did.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

welcome back.

24. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Selecting what to cover on and what not to cover is not lying. It's an editorial decisions, that you obviously disagree with, but it is not lying. The media makes editorial decisions all the time, on both sides of politics, but choosing to focus on one event and not focus on another event is not a lie.

Saying "The NSA and FBI tell Congress that Russia did not influence electoral process" is a provable lie. It's not editorial, it's just plain untrue.

Saying "it was the biggest Electoral College win since Ronald Reagan" is a provable lie.

These Trumpers are trying really hard to confuse what the word "lie" even means.

25. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yes. For a profession that he calls "failing" and "lying" and doesn't need because he can bypass through Twitter, he certainly runs to give interviews to them fairly often.

Yet another thing that makes him look unbelievable and ridiculous.