Time Capsule: Can I access its files from a different network out of the box?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by felixen, Jul 26, 2012.

1. felixen macrumors 6502a

I just bought a Time Capsule (TC). I need it for backups for my Macbook Air as well as Mac Mini. But I also want to use it as a hard drive, and I heard that the files I store on it can be accessed from anywhere. So can this be done out of the box, or do I need to make all kinds of router settings (which I don't know a lot about!)?

So far I have powered it on, and I have connected it with my router via an Ethernet cable. On my Macbook Air the TC popped up automatically and I chose to set it up as "complementary to an existing network" (it's in Danish here, so I don't know the exact name of that setting in English, but I hope yall know what I mean), and then I had to type in my router's password. That's all I've done so far..

Really hope someone can help me out with this

Edit: don't know if I didn't make myself clear, but an example of what I'm asking would be when I store a video file on the Time Capsule, then how can I watch that video from a different network than my own (and maybe even using an iPhone or iPad)?

2. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Still very interested in an answer to post one. I have a new question too, though :)

I hear that I can set up the TC as a router. I get my internet from the phone line outlet in the wall. Can I buy these two items to connect the TC directly:
    http://www.av-cables.dk/telefonkabel-6p-8c/telefonkabel-8-4-6-4-3-meter.html
    http://www.av-cables.dk/telefonkabel-adapter/dansk-telefonstik-adapter.html

Will this work or not? I heard somewhere that the TC doesn't have a modem so you cannot plug it into the phone outlet, but I am not sure I understood that right.. Appreciate it guys!;)

3. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay so now I have set up the TC as an extension to my current network. Hope that is a decent setup. Now I am running backups fine, but I wanna know where I should place any additional files I have?

On the photo here I have marked two areas: AREA A and AREA B.
    In AREA A I need to open the "Data" folder before I can make a folder of my own.
    In AREA B I can make my folder right away (which I've done already as you can see). What is the best solution; AREA A inside the "Data" folder or AREA B?

[​IMG]