Time Capsule? Can I buy a older one and put in my own bigger hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Imola Ghost, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I am considering getting the 2TB Time Capsule. I'd like to know if I bought a smaller hard drive version if I could "eventually" put in my own bigger 2TB hard drive to save money?

I wasn't sure what all the difference was in any of the models. So if you have some advice please share.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yup, you can upgrade the hard drive to a bigger one. Just make sure you get one that does simultaneous dual band since the real older ones don't.

3. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

I guess my question wasn't correctly asked. Are there any differences in the older 500gb Time Capsules and the newer 2TB Time Capsules?

I know the hard drive is bigger but is there differences in the wireless features and what not.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I believe there's like 3 generations of TC's

The first one didn't have the dual band simul feature. The second Gen added that feature. This latest one that came out just added improved wireless range or something like that.

5. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, that clears it up.

I guess I could just buy the 1TB [newest version] Time Capsule, use it for a while and then eventually put in a bigger 2-4TB hard drive.

However I was just looking at the back of the Time Capsule and it seems it only has 3 ports for wired networking, which kind of sucks.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah it does suck that they updated it recently and still it only has 3 Gigabit ports.

7. Bobacus macrumors newbie

Something else you could do, is buy an Airport Extreme, and hook up a usb hard drive.

8. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

The problem with this and the TIme Machine is that I already have a very nice dual band router.

9. Mr.Bullitt macrumors regular

Hmm.. I was under the impression that the drive in the Time Capsule was not user upgradable....

When did this change???

10. chill. macrumors 6502

it's not user upgradable but you can rip off the rubber bottom, open it up and replace the hard drive if you are determined