Time Capsule doesn't reach upstairs - how can I increase the range of it?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ss957916, Dec 24, 2009.

1. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

My internet comes into my kitchen downstairs - so that's where my TC is. But it won't reach to my iMac in my office upstairs.

How can I extend the range? I have a spare Airport Express - will that work?

What's the difference, when setting-up the Express, between 'Join a wireless network' and 'Extend a wireless network'? Why would I want an Express to join a network but not extend it?!

2. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

I had exactly the same problem. Just use the Airport express to "EXTEND A WIRELESS NETWORK" this should solve your problem.

3. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok - that's what I thought, thanks.

I got confused by the 'participate in a WDS network' option as opposed to 'extend a wireless network'. Aren't they the same thing?!

4. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Don't quote me on this, but i think the main function of "join a wireless network" is that it can be used if you have for example an only wired printer. you can connect the printer via USB to the Airport and then "join" your network. Thus your wired printer becomes wireless.

5. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Excellent - thanks.

Something I didn't realise is that the TC has a checkbox called "Allow this network to be extended". Now that's ticked, it's all working!

Thanks.

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

WDS stands for Wireless Distribution System. It is basically extending a network, but it allows for greater distance between the primary router and the connecting device (such as a computer/iPod touch/etc.). This is facilitated by use of a minimum of two additional routers between the primary and the connecting device; these routers are known as the relay and remote. The relay rebroadcasts the network signal and the remote acts as a client to the relay rather than the primary router. You will notice a slower network connection the more routers you have involved in a WDS setup, each additional router essentially halves the speed.