Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pepeto100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
Hello, My 1TB Time Capsule (2nd Gen) which was purchased at the end of 2009 is reporting my ethernet cable unplugged and can't therefore recognize a connection to the internet.

It all started yesterday. I had to replace my Cable Modem with Docsis 3.0 modem, so i purchased an SB6121.

I plugged everything back together and called Comcast to activate the new modem. After Comcast activated the Modem, the Time Capsule remained in the same status: blinking amber light and 3 reported issues using the airport utility in my iMac 2009, Win 7 laptop, iPad or iPhone:

- Ethernet Unplugged

- No Internet Connection

- No DNS Server

It also had one of those self assigned IP Addresses you get when the device cannot find an internet connection.

I tried many things including replacing all cables, etc.

Finally I replaced the Time Capsule with an older router and it all worked fine.

So, I reset the Time Capsule to factory defaults and kept trying to no avail. I finally plugged my imac directly to one of the LAN ports using the same cables i was using before and i had no issue seeing the Time Capsule on the network.

Has anyone ever found this issue?

Has anyone ever fixed a WAN port on these machines?

I'd hate to replace the Time Capsule since it seems to have done its job pretty well for the last three years.

Any advice?

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
it might not be your time capsule it might the cable modem itself that needs to be reset unplug the power and let it cycle through again with it getting the ip address but when you unplug it let it sit for like 3minutes before plugging the power back in if that does not fix call comcast and ask

Pepeto100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
Hi, thanks but i already tried that. Several times. I also tried another router as i explained in my previous post and that one had no issue whatsoever (other than it being quite old and therefore on the slow side, it's only a G anyway).
And i did call comcast and the person passed me on to some other department which offers help for a convenient fee.
Other things i tried was changing the settings on the ethernet port trying successive settings of 10tx base, 100tx and 1000tx as well as automatic.
All to no avail.
An additional troubleshooting step is that i connected my VOIP Adapter (A Lingo Mediatrix 1200 if i am not mistaken) and it did work both attached downstream and upstream of my old router. It did not work however, when attached downstream of the Time Capsule.
At this point i suspect there might be something physically wrong with the WAN port or the controller for the WAN Port is shot. That last part however does not jive with the port's activity light in the back being lit green.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
What are the settings on the cable modem? Is it giving the TC an IP address, and if so, what? Is the TC in bridge mode? or are you trying to use it as a router? Can you connect to the cable modem's wifi instead of using ethernet?

Pepeto100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
I was using an Motorola SB5120. I replaced it with a Motorola SB6121.
6121s don't have wireless. I was using the WAN port with the 5120, so I was just repeating the arrangement:
Cable Modem through ethernet to Time Capsule.
In this arrangement, i was using the TC as DHCP router sharing an IP address with the home network. I've never experienced any issues until yesterday when i unplugged the TC to replace the cable modem.
At first i thought it might be the modem, but after an hour of trying resetting the modem and TC in various ways, I decided to resuscitate an old router (Netgear super G WPN824) and it works like a charm.
BTW, just for clarification:
1. TC was DHCP Server.
2. Not in bridge mode.
3. Modem does not have wifi.

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
? did it work before you switched it out to the modem if it did there is something screwy with the new one then i have heard hardware not liking other pieces of hard ware

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Doesn't really answer my questions about the details, so can't help much.

I'd try making sure the modem is NOT assigning any IP addresses via DCHP, or only one to the TC. And that the TC, if it isn't in bridge mode, is assigning IPs in a different range. And that the DNS server settings, gateway, etc are all set per the ISP's recommendation in the TC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.