Time Capsule Time Machine

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Luba, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Luba, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018

Luba macrumors 65816

Luba

For Time Machine backups I'm using Time Capsule, but under “Disk Utility” I'm seeing the following:

Time Machine Backups

Disk Image Volume • Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)

BUT . . . under the “Time Machine” app, I'm seeing the following:

Xxx GB of 2 TB available, encrypted

so it looks like the Time Machine backups which are sparse bundles are encrypted??

But how do I encrypt the overall disk inside Time Capsule? Normally, I would do this by going into Finder and right-click "encrypt disk" or in Disk Utility and format it with "encryption", but we are supposed to manage Time Capsule's disk using Airport Utility, according to Apple. I didn't format 'Time Machine Backups' to "Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)", I must assume Airport Utility did this when I used Airport Utility to set up ("format") Time Capsule's disk.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This is correct. The TC disk is not encrypted. The backup data is stored inside an encrypted sparse bundle image on the TC disk.

3. Luba thread starter macrumors 65816

Luba

Thanks for the info.

Is there a way to encrypt the TC disk? Would this extra layer of encryption make my Time Machine backups more secure?

Is the encryption on the sparse bundle image just as good as whole disk encryption?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is no way to encrypt the TC disk itself and the sparse bundle encryption is sufficient IMO.

5. Luba thread starter macrumors 65816

Luba

Yeah, I feel sparse bundle encryption is sufficient. I don't know enough to really evaluate, but I remember old Apple magazine articles about older macOSes extolling the sparse bundle encryption feature probably because FileVault at that time wasn't good so encryption per file was the only way to go if you wanted to encrypt something.

But I vaguely remember that we could encrypt the TC disk itself on older macOSes, maybe by using Disk Utility?? But now Apple wants us to manage TC only by Airport Utility and the ability to encrypt the whole TC disk is not available on Airport Utility.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It won't work... I have seen threads where people removed the TC disk and attached it to a Mac then formatted to encrypted format. Then as soon as you put it back inside the TC, it formats it back to plain HFS+ like it apparently requires.