Time for an upgrade...pre-unibody to current...what are my options.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CEdwards, Jul 28, 2011.

1. CEdwards macrumors newbie

Greetings...

I am currently working with a pre-unibody macbook pro. Specs are 2.53 Core 2 Duo, 512mb video card and 4 gigs of ram. I use this computer for light video editing, audio recording and video djing. All in all it pretty much holds its own at all the tasks I need it to do but the applecare is expiring soon so I will be moving this computer to backup status.

My only real requirements are that it be able to work well with mixing hd music videos. I can do it now but my current model heats up quick and I do get some random dropped frames.

What current MBPs (13 or 15in models) will best this model in cpu and graphics. Will the current base model 15inch or upgraded 13inch be an actual upgrade that I will be able to notice or do I need to step up the upgraded 15inch?

I am looking at keeping this new purchase for another 3 years but am trying to keep my budget within reason if possible.

Thanks for any help on the subject.

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I would recommend the base line 15". The new CPUs are fast & a dedicated GPU will help out during video editing. It will definitely hold up for 3 years easy.

3. CEdwards thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response. So the base model 256mb video is faster then the 512mb card in my current computer?

4. davmcn macrumors regular

I suggest you for the 2.2Ghz, it has the better graphics card, and has more VRAM. Better buy in my opinion, that's why I went for that model, as I'm a Media Student.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

All of them will whoop your old computer's butt. Processors have taken a huge leap since core 2 duo's. Even the base 13" MBP will be a lot more powerful than your current machine.