Time for another Trump rally

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Aug 16, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Well, I'm sure that Donald J Trump is feeling just a little bit depressed this week. Even though he's on vacation, it seems that he just can't leave his work behind, and the press has just been all over him the last few days. Plus, a bunch of his best bud CEOs just decided to up and walk away from those "business councils" he had set up.

So, when Trump is feeling blue, what does he do? That's right, he holds a rally! So yes, mark your calendars: Trump will be holding a rally on Tuesday next week at the Phoenix Convention Center.

The mayor of Phoenix isn't all that happy about it, though:

The mayor of Phoenix says he is “disappointed” that President Donald Trump has scheduled a rally for his city as the nation “is still healing from the tragic events in Charlottesville,” and says he wants Trump to delay the event.
    Stanton also warned Trump that if he was coming to town to pardon former Sheriff Joe Arpaio, an outspoken immigration opponent, “it will be clear that his true intent is to inflame emotions and further divide the nation.”​

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/16/trump-phoenix-rally-charlottesville-241720

2. Volgin Suspended

Volgin

Sounds like the mayor is the one trying to inflame.

3. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Sounds like Trump is desperate to keep his core support from collapsing due to the methane fumes they're standing in while they attempt to justify his attitudes, his incompetence, his failure to assist his own party in getting key legislation done in time to impress voters for 2018 elections. I have rarely heard so much cow-pie material flung around in aid of defending the indefensible. Who can blame the mayor of Phoenix for trying to wave Trump off his idea of a rally in that city.

When are conservatives going to realize Trump puts their political chances at furthe risk every tieme he opens his mouth or fires off another impulsive rant into his Twitter account. Depressing!

4. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

How so?

5. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Trump should stop worrying about rallies and start worrying about whether he's going to have any legacy at all. After he got wind that his two biz councils were deciding to off themselves,

and so had to rush in order to beat them to the punch with a hasty tweet dismissing them,

(I'm sure there's a note in the snail mail
    offering his thanks for those now mutually
    dismantled services)...

he should have got back to working on his plans for infrastructure improvements, no?

6. Zenithal Suspended

7. jdillings macrumors 65816

No legacy? His legacy will be the make up and direction of the Supreme Court that will last for many generations after he leaves office as these are very young appointments. And there's still two more very probably appointments left in his first four years. No one is going to remember these silly biz councils but they will remember the decisions by the Supreme Court. And did you really quote Thrush? He has zero credibility left after the leaked emails showed he sent articles to Clinton's people for approval prior to publishing them. In his emails, he even admitted he had "...become a hack..."

8. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

Trump really thinks this is a good time for one of his clown rallies? What president who claims to be so busy has time for rallies? This guy only knows about to campaign and not lead.

9. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

His first four years? You're funny.

10. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Thrush is also an STD just like Trump.

Stupid

Toxic

Demagogue

11. samcraig macrumors P6

Trump needs a safe space where he can hear people chanting his name after the horrific week he's had... again. Here's to him continually lowering the bar.

12. Volgin Suspended

Volgin

Trying to make headlines and stir up outrage at the president will only lead to more turmoil.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

Trump has done a fine job of that himself. Taking a stand of what you will or won't tolerate is important. It's also very American. And Trump does prefer that states govern themselves more than Big Government.

We all know what this rally is anyway. It's an ego stroke to a President who needs applause.

14. Volgin Suspended

Volgin

If you are talking about Trump not denouncing whatever groups you feel appropriate I have to disagree. Denouncing something means nothing. How many times has ISIS been denounced? Has it stoped them? Denouncing has no teeth at all.

15. samcraig macrumors P6

Trump has had another crappy week. He needs applause to lift his spirits. It's sad. He can't really handle being President.

Speaking of denouncing. He can attack Morning Joe, senators, pop starts, the media - but when David Duke tweets out that Trump is a traitor, Trump doesn't go after David Duke? Why? Attacking someone who says something like Duke is completely in his wheelhouse.

16. MDMachiavelli macrumors regular

MDMachiavelli

I just find it funny how the left continues to bash Trump over these CEOs.

The left, who is unapologetically anti-CEO, anti-corporate, anti-Wall Street, should be applauding the fact that Trump can't get along with reps from Corporate America.

That is if the left has even a modicum of integrity or consistency.................

17. Volgin Suspended

Volgin

I think your hatred for Trump blinds you to some realities of the situation, it that's ok and not really worth arguing over.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

What realities of the situation. Why did he schedule the rally then - in your opinion?

Why wouldn't he go after David Duke after Duke praised then criticized him?

19. Volgin Suspended

Volgin

Who knows why? Does it matter? Violent people will be violent despite who denounces them. Hateful people will hate despite who denounces them. Perhaps someone in the WH told him to just stop talking before things got worse.

20. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

Perhaps the left appears inconsistent because you're treating two things as one. There is applause for the fact that Trump can't get along with reps from Corporate America, but that doesn't mean we have to like the other fact that these councils were established in the first place.

It's like being shot at and missed from two feet away. You'd be happy they missed and critical of their aim—a similar manner with which many regard Trump.

21. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

What I do find funny, so to speak, is how his supporters continue to unapologetically...well...support him. Even when he's so out of line and so disconnected from reality.

While we're at it, let's call them all communists and unpatriotic! Left and right go beyond borders, so while I'm not a conservative, I'm certainly not part of "the left" per your definition either. I admire some of these CEOs, I admire wealthy people when they're deserving. There are idiots and intelligent people on all sides. So what does that make me? I mean no disrespect but such characterization and oversimplication seems a bit naive to me.

22. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I think it's funny how people on the right consistently label me as being part of the left. Because people on the left consistently label me as being part of the right.

Personally, I am pro big-business. I want government to reduce spending. On the other hand, I see no problem with gay marriage, or many of the other other social issues that the right seems to constantly harp over.

Here is the truth: Trump is a stupid President. And you can quote me on that.

23. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Last things first: of course I quoted that retweet from the President that Mr. Thrush offered up, it was right on the money, and to the point of my own post. If you want to question credibility in that set of data, I'd start with asking whether Trump just beat the councils' respective impending suicides to the mark by axing them, or whether he stretched the truth just a teeny bit.

No one will remember those biz councils? Big maybe. Certainly they will be remembered in the annals of all the legal and corporate relations counsels of all those corporations whose CEOs had graciously accepted the request of the President that they serve on the councils.

They will remember the private conferences during which decisions to withdraw from the councils were weighed by officers of each corporation, with all due consideration of any possible impact of their decisions on the financial markets.

And the appointees will all remember the council conferences during which a decision to disband both of them was arrived at. Those appointees are the cream of America's manufacturing and financial leadership in the private sector. They are who turn the lights on in the morning in this country and in the bottom lines of global finance

:D (when some of them are not actively trying to figure out which among them almost turned the lights off for good last night or two weeks ago in process of trying to figure out if it's time to exit some bubble yet, but that's for some other thread).
    The points about those councils are twofold: one, those corporations are among the movers and shakers of political opinion in this country, and two, their opinion of this President is formed in no little part by consideration of opinions held by their suppliers, customers, lobbyists and favorite members of Congress listed in their address books.

"Suppliers and customers": that's us.

That was "us" talking when Trump had to dismiss those councils to save face. The "us" who stand in line at Walmarts and at JP Morgan Chase ATMs, the "us" who work at Intel or at Campbell Soup. On balance, that "we" apparently suggested that those corporations bail the hell out of those councils --not even being put to practical use!-- rather than continue to sit around losing standing in the global marketplace while Trump tweets trash about his resentments or his fond recollections of having won an election that's nine months in the rear view mirror.

There is still an establishment in this country, and that establishment does not think Donald Trump is doing a great job lately, and so they bailed off his "silly" councils to the point where they were disbanding it when he decided to save face and ditch them.

They were the "silly" councils whose input he needed to help design his new trade and manufacturing strategies.

But keep drinking that koolaid Trump's nationalists' PR machines are serving up.

As to the Supreme Court: thanks to the Constitution, we have a robust judicial system. It is not a rubber stamp for anyone who happens to occupy the Oval Office with hopes to nominate some judges. Certainly the decisions of one David Souter should come to mind for any President who hopes to appoint a justice "leaning" one way or another. The decisions of the current and quite conservative Chief Justice may not entirely have pleased :eek: the Republicans with respect to some key legislation the Republicans are still trying to dislodge from the lawbooks. Finally, it's not like Trump appointed some hack to serve in place of the late Justice Antonin Scalia. Justice Gorsuch is more than amply qualified no matter that some on the left are not fond of originalists.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 17, 2017 ---
    That's okay. I don't mind being bashed for having enough brains to understand that the cream of America's corporations have become alarmed over the apparent inability of President Trump to distance himself from the ideals of neoNazis in a forthright and unwavering fashion.

And as to the left being anti-CEO, anti-corporate, anti-Wall Street: are you entirely sure about that? After all, our leadership in the Democratic Party since 1992 has been incilned to take into account the opinions of American corporations in formulating trade and domestic policy both.

It's possible to bemoan the excesses of American capitalism while appreciating that they underwrite much of what has made -- and makes-- America great. And that's despite Trump's populist sops to his benighted (or, entirely cynical) followers about the carnage that is his view of this country.

Everyone on this board knows I lean progressive. I'm not so "progressive" I think we can stack our corporations on a pyre down by Trinity Church at the head of Wall Street and set a match to it.

24. samcraig macrumors P6

Why do you think he wanted a rally?

25. MDMachiavelli macrumors regular

MDMachiavelli

Fair enough, but I think you are confusing the "left" with Democratic leadership. There is a difference.

That was a general statement, not necessarily aimed at you. I don't know you and have not followed your posts enough to determine your political leaning.

I apologize for the confusion.
    Not necessarily. I'm not a Trump Koolaide drinker but I recognize several things.

The left love to relish the idea that he can't get support and the backing of his own party? If you are left leaning (which I'm not saying you are) shouldn't that be a positive thing?

The same with Corporate America.