Time For Obama To Step Aside

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

As far as the next Presidential Election, this Newsweek Article: Oval Office Appeaser states the case that Obama is not the kind of fighter other-than-Republicans need in the White House for another 4 years. A parallel the author makes is with pre-WWII British Prime Minister Chamberlain who made himself a door mat for the aggressive Germans, Chamberlain finally stepped aside for Churchill to come in and go to war. I'm starting to see the "step aside" theme from more than one source.

The problem as I see Obama wants to deal with reasonable people. The problem is that the GOPpers are not reasonable. They only want one thing, the White House the next time around. If Obama wants to get something done, he has to play hardball, something he really does not seem to have the heart to do.

At this point, I really hope he does step aside and give Hillary her shot (if she is up for it.) My guess the GOP would not view this as a good thing for their plans to seize the White House.

2. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

3. swedefish macrumors 6502

Well, the Dems lost the House last election because the 111th Congress with a Democratic majority acheived nothing. Congress, not the President is the legislative body and that is the way it should be in a democracy, imo. Like it or not, Obama now owns the economy and it will be hard for him to turn this ship around. Also, as someone who is a keen observer of American politics but who isn't an American voter, do those of you who support the President really believe that more spending will fix anything? It has been tested and it has failed, so why keep pursuing failed policies? I am not saying I know what should be done, but I'd like to think that people are able to infer what shouldn't be done.

Also, regarding Churchill, despite winning the war and being a highly popular figure, he acutually lost the election in 1945, which is something few people seem to remember.

4. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

I don't believe there is anything that either party is offering can fix the unemployment situation in the country. It is structural in nature. The government could temporarily employ people and it would not matter. Taxes could drop to 0% and small businesses would not hire anybody new.

The problem with American politics is not in the executive branch, yet the executive branch is where most people throw their disdain. The legislative branch has been ineffective for decades and needs wholesale reform as an institution.

5. swedefish macrumors 6502

Totally agree, however, I also think that the American people is to blame for being complacent. I think Ron Paul has a point when he says that the country is bankrupt but no one wants to hear that so they pretend everything is just fine. Of course the two parties in power benefit from the status quo two-party system but I truly believe that what the US needs is a surge of independents or more parties in Congress. Seeing how clever districting on behalf of the Dems and the GOP makes that virtually impossible, it is truly discouraging to see government literally crumbling under its own incompetence, and no simple fixes can stop the landslide... or is there a silver bullet?

6. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Obama aka the vacation president, has taken more of them than any other president. Meanwhile the country is suffering it's worse bout of unemployment and underemployment since the great depression. The guy is just clueless. I heard this on the radio just the other day:

You voted for Obama to prove that you are not a racist. Now you have to not vote for him to prove that you are not stupid.

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Obviously your only news source is Fox. It's a shame that you allow yourself to be lied to so blatantly.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I have plenty to criticize Obama about but your statement is false. Obama has taken way less vacation that Reagan or Bush did after 31 months on office but more than Clinton did.

9. swedefish macrumors 6502

Obama does strike me as a sunshine executive, ie someone who loves fluff but who doesn't know how to tackle setbacks. The saddest thing is that unemployment among African Americans is the highest it's been since the 1980s and how he has completely failed this core constituency of his. What's worse is how absolutely void of vision and intelligence the current GOP lineup is. Well, Ron Paul--like him or not--is a genius, but obvioiusly doesn't stand a chance in the primary. Rick Perry, Mitt Romney, and now there is word Sarah Palin might enter the race in September. *facepalm*

10. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

In what ways is he "a genius?"

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I am rooting for Sarah Palin to win the gop bid. She is bat **** crazy and would be the easiest to defeat. As much as I do not like Obama god help us if the gop gang complete control.

12. swedefish macrumors 6502

Aside from his IQ which by all indications is very high, he actually has an understanding of structural issues which can't be said for the rest of the pack. He predicted the current financial meltdown decades ago, he is a highly successful investor whose investments have generated a 600% return, etc. but he is obsessed with the monetary system, which results in rants that make no sense to the general public. I am not a libertarian but I would never deny that the old man is sharp. My favorite Ron Paul moment must have been during one of the 2008 Fox debates when he hit back at some Faux News host who implied he is unelectable. He was on point.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Uh, do a quick google search, you are horribly (yet hysterically) misinformed.

As for the poster that said the 111th congress did nothing, check your facts, it passed more legislative efforts than any in quite some time. THIS, the 112th, seems destined to give the "do nothing" congress (80th) a serious run for its money, having an embarrassingly thin record for this point in its term.

In short, read up, and from more than one source. Having to debunk some of these is just plain embarrassing.

14. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

If Bush didn't step aside for war crimes for which he was conveniently given a pass, then why should Obama step aside for not causing senseless wars that cost the US government a fortune, plunging the US economy into a crisis?

Let the man serve out his term. The American people deserve him. That's what they get for losing their heads in 2000 (and 2004) because the leader of one of the most competent (democratic) governments in US history was fellated by someone who wasn't his wife.

Apparently a bj was more important than a fat surplus and a strong economy.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I doubt that Hillary would deign to do this nicety, so what is the leader of the free World to do with this craving??

And, to Bill's credit, he was wise enough to not let those particular teeth anywhere near his junk.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Clinton's foreign policy is just as disgusting as Bush or Obama's, the only difference in the last 30+ years (again, this is for the USA's foreign policy) is delivery style.

17. swedefish, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011

swedefish macrumors 6502

I never said that the 111th Congress did nothing, I said that it achieved nothing. The amount of legislative activity is irrelevant--what matters is how said legislative activity improved or worsened the everyday situation for average working people, and judging by the Tea Party's success in 2010, a large portion of the American electorate wasn't too impressed with the achievements of the 111th Congress. It's all about the economy at this point but that has been the case since 2008. Obviously Obama inherited a difficult situation, but has he done anything to make it better, and I'm talking about tangible improvements, not goodwill efforts? I think most moderates, fiscal conservatives who are social liberals, and certainly the international community rooted for Obama, but many of us have lost patience.

18. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Our budget was close to balanced, but it wasn't a surplus that was paying off debt.

People think more government spending will fix the economy, and they couldn't be more wrong. Every dollar the government spends to employ someone comes from taxes and adds to the deficit, which will need to be refinanced at higher and higher rates in the future which directly leads to less money being available for...spending money to employ someone.....

And now we're going in circles

19. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I think you're confused with the last guy in the White House...

Which people are you accusing? The role of government is not to keep the economy running by spending money. It's job is to promote a healthy environment that will benefit business and labor alike. All of the big spending done by Obama, if you agree or disagree with it, was to try to avoid a total collapse of our economy as a result of the terrible decisions by W and Company. Anyone (I'm not saying you) who can't bring themselves to admit what an awful President W Bush has no credibility to argue anything about the economy.

20. swedefish macrumors 6502

W left a mess, but to be fair, the real culprits when it comes to the economy are big finance who got their due bailouts from Bush as well as Obama. Trillions of dollars spent to buy credit derivatives from the banks (including some foreign banks!). Now the American tax payers own those derivatives which are worth absolutely nothing. This is why people on Main Street are so outraged.

21. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

There's a better chance of seeing Dicaprio and Winslet in Titanic 2.

22. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't think anyone is saying that he should resign, just that he shouldn't run for a second term and instead let someone else run so we don't get stuck with a Republican. Which I agree with, Obama is going to have a very difficult time winning reelection, I think it would be better to have Hillary or someone else try.

23. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

The question is not if she's up for it. The question is whether she can get the money to do it. She wasn't exactly swimming in donations in 2008; she had to dip into personal savings to keep her campaign going because her war chest was empty. JMHO, but I don't see the DNC and the big money-men backing her in a primary fight against a sitting President (and I don't think there's a chance in hell of Obama "stepping down.")

24. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP