Time For Those Who Hate iPods

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
The best part is a site the article links to:

The tiny and insignificant box of memory chips known unto us as the iPod is warping the minds of it's users (otherwise known as iPeople), rendering them incapable of communication and destroying our culture - why talk when you can inject yourself with another dose of musical disharmony through the syringe of the iPod?

Simply so that you can grasp the sort of perverted and implacable minds that we are dealing with here when talking of the iPod producers, take a look at these somewhat disturbing pictures of babies:

Basically- iPods suck! Rise against this cult!
These are the "disturbing pictures of babies" offered as proof of iPod's evil ways:

Gotta love it... :rolleyes:

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Just some of my initial reactions to a few of the statements made:

"iPod Cult"
You know, I think this might be real. As in, there are people who only own an iPod because it's "cool". Those people are silly, but let them keep being so superficial. It's their own loss.

"There are superior players available"
This is a subjective statement. There are players with more features available. There are players that are less expensive. In my opinion, the iPod lacks some great features, comes at a premium, but with a seamless integration to a great music store and the best UI. Of course, that's just my opinion, but I'm not sure there are really 20 million sheep, or 20 million people who own one because they desire it's offerings.

"The iPod 'Trend' is cooling"
This very well may be. But guess what? Apple knows what they're doing. They're not going to be surprised when sales of iPods drop, they know when they'll reach consumer market saturation. Why won't they be worried? iPods drive people to the iTunes Music Store. The iTMS is Apple's long-term profit machine, not the iPod. Consider the analogy:
Printer:iPod::Ink/Toner Cartridges:iTMS Songs
Under this analogy, it makes no difference whether or not iPod sales "cool". As long as people still want music, Apple's golden.

(that's all for now)

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
"I like getting up and picking out five CDs that I want to take to work with me," the self-described "pretty big music fan" said. "I don't need to have 2,000 songs with me all day, every day."

Well, that's why people don't "get" the iPod. With iTunes (music management, smart playlists, etc) and the iPod, you don't have to "pick out five CDs" in the morning (let alone carry the CD player and those 5 CDs).

It's not about having "2000 songs with you all the time", it's about having all your library with you all the time. It's not about listening to those 2000 songs, it's about knowing that whatever your mood is, you have your whole library with you. You don't choose based on what your brought with you that day, you choose from your whole library.

I guess some people still don't use iTunes, or they'd easily "get it".

As for the "iPod = fashion" crowd/critics, well, I guess there's always people looking for style over substance, but not all iPod owners are like that.

I like my iPod because it's like carrying iTunes and my library with me, and the interface is simple enough that you don't have to look at it to know what you're doing. Good thing when you're jogging, etc.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
gwuMACaddict said:
it cracks me up how personally we all take it whenever someone bashes the iPod :D
I don't care if someone bashes the iPod, as long as they have real arguments.

"I don't have to carry 2000 songs with me all the time" only means that person still doesn't "get" what MP3 players are all about (wether it's the iPod or any other mass-storage MP3 player).

As for the "iPod sucks because it can't do feature X" critics, well, everyone's entitled to his opinions. My opinion is that I use iTunes and the iPod is the easiest way to keep in sync with it, so all other players suck.

mrsebastian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2002
sunny san diego
ah my favorite :) people with nothing but time on their hands and definitely not enough to do. hate the ipod as much as you would like, but this is stupidity at it's finest...

the advertising banner above is on the anti-ipod website and of course they sell the ipod, as well as just about every other mp3 player out there :D

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Though I'm an iPod fan, I'm not an owner. The price is out of my range for the usefulness I'd get out of it. For me I use a small 40GB external HDD to carry around my music and assortment of other files to work or school so that I can listen to anything in my library. Sure it can't help me if I'm outside going on a bike ride or something, but that doesn't bother me.

There's definitely too many IPod owners that only have it for the "cool" factor. Though from reading news articles it just seems showing off an iPod too much just makes you a target to thieves on the street looking for them to make a quick buck.

I think people that "hate" iPods are just trying too hard to be different. haha.

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
blegchhh....

I can understand people being upset about the price, but quite honestly its come down quite a bit from it's original pricepoints and only gotten bigger in size (except for the wierd 30gig to 20gig drop with the last update).

This article just keeps getting re-hashed (I think I've read similar articles about 10 times) with interviews with people who shop at exclusively at Wal-Mart and have never heard of Ted Kucinich.

I think the competition has gotten a bit better, but none of them have really tried to create a simple software solution to go along with their product or really add some great open functionality with tons of formats like Ogg, AAC, AAC+ and FLAC in addition to the usual few. I would also love to see something that does MP3, AAC and WMA without the UI and appearance of a microwaved ostridge turd.

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
"I like getting up and picking out five CDs that I want to take to work with me"

Other quotes from older generations...

"I like paying my bills with a check and then putting them in a envelope and paying for a stamp and putting it in the mailbox"

"I like the standard transmission on my car"

"I like finding a pay phone"

"I like 14,400 kbps"

"I like my Commadore 64"

"I like the Pony Express"

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
Here is the deal.

I don't really care.

As long as apple makes an iPod that is functional and is above the rest when it comes to intergration, I'll be using it.

You know why?

Cause we use their computers too.

If the iPod had 10 % market share would it still be my favourite product?
Probably.

A lot of the time when it comes to Apple stuff most people don't think it's the best so they don't use it (their computers) but we still do, because we know it is the best.

The thing with the iPod is that a lot of people do think it's the best, but unfortunately a lot of people thinks it's cool and want to have one....

Therein lies the problem.

If something is ever popular, people who hate popular things will hate it.

dfa4

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2001
NYC, NY
Heb1228 said:
"The mediocre always throw stones at the brilliant"
-Rush Limbaugh

You may not like him but here's an instance where he's right. :D
Yuck! I would never quote Limbaugh for any purpose.

But this article about anti-iPodders brings to mind a quote from a more illustrious American icon, Yogi Berra; he said "Nobody ever eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded."

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Right, because before the iPod, nobody ever listened to headphones :rolleyes: They chatted with friendly strangers and achieved world peace instead.

Anyway, I can't judge iPod haters. If I really look deep into my soul and ask why I hate Wallace & Vommit and My Big Fat Greek Wedding, the answer probably comes down to this: I COULD have liked both of them, if it weren't for other people annoying me by liking them TOO much!

If you knew some annoying iPod owners, it could affect you :)

Or, if you're phobic about change, technology, or simply Apple... then the iPod is a handy icon to attach your feelings to.

kinda reminds me of how I was at about this point in the cell phone game-vehemently against, having never used.

I'd say it's more indicitive of the stage of devolepment of the ipod phenomanon than it is anything else. Soon enough, they'll be as ubiquitous as cell phones. Perhaps not apple's players, but mp3 players will be out there.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Once again my Apple Fans VS Metallica Fans thoery is proven true. Take the following example:

hater:"Metallica Sucks! Kirk doesn't even play solos anymore and Heatfield is the most over rated singer in the history of music!"
fan:"Your dumb! Metallica RULES! They invented modern heavy metal, if it wasn't for Metallica there wouldn't be bands like Nine Inch Nails or Nickelback"
hater:"So? Metallica will never be as good as slayer"

Now the apple spin:

hater:"Apple Sucks! Mac's don't even play any good games and iPods are the most over rated gadget in the history of music!"
fan:"Your wrong! Apple RULES! They invented the GUI, if it wasn't for Apple there wouldn't be Windows"
hater:"So? Apple will never be as popular as Windows!"

come guys, you KNOW it's true... :D

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
I don't know which is dumber.

The kids who buy iPods because they're "cool", without ever thinking about what they actually need one for.

Or the kids who devote large percentages of their lives to insulting and abusing the kids in the first group, because they have a hatred of whatever people happen to find poopular at the moment.

To both groups, I quote a line from The Golden Girls (when Sophia encountered a Hari Krishna missionary in the airport):
Get a life!
Get a haircut!
Get a job!
Then go home and beg your mother's forgiveness!

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
Yvan256 said:
It's not about having "2000 songs with you all the time", it's about having all your library with you all the time. It's not about listening to those 2000 songs, it's about knowing that whatever your mood is, you have your whole library with you. You don't choose based on what your brought with you that day, you choose from your whole library.
This is EXACTLY what I tell people when they ask me "why do you need 60GB of music with you at all times?" I recently sold my 60GB and bought a 6GB mini because I'm waiting for an 80 or even a 100GB iPod because I now have 20,000+ tracks. When I put my mini on shuffle and I hear a song I like and want to hear the rest of the album, I get angry that only a couple songs are there.

Fishes,
narco.

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
narco said:
This is EXACTLY what I tell people when they ask me "why do you need 60GB of music with you at all times?" I recently sold my 60GB and bought a 6GB mini because I'm waiting for an 80 or even a 100GB iPod because I now have 20,000+ tracks. When I put my mini on shuffle and I hear a song I like and want to hear the rest of the album, I get angry that only a couple songs are there.

Fishes,
narco.
Wait. You have more than 60 GB of music on your computer. (That's a lot, but whatever, I'm not doubting you here.) You used to have a 60 GB iPod. But because you have more than 60 GB of songs, you sold your 60 GB iPod and bought a 6 GB iPod so you can wait for an 80 GB or 100 GB iPod?!

And then you get angry when you only can store a few songs from an album on your new 6 GB iPod?

Please explain to me why you have any reason to be angry.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
stridey said:
Not to nitpick, but that's a kind of bad choice for quotes, since standard transmission is in fact superior to automatic transmission... :)
That's a matter of opinion. I find automatic transmission far superior to standard transmission, particularly for busy city driving.