Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by horace528, Jun 17, 2011.

1. horace528 macrumors regular

horace528

Hi I'm just asking...
    Can you use Time Machine with Carbon Copy Cloner?
    I mean something like this: I created a Time Machine backup, and could I make a copy using Carbon Copy Cloner on the same hard disk? :confused:

Also, Can you use a hard disk used for Time Machine backup for other files and can you open the backup files on another computer?? :confused:

Thanks. :D:cool::apple::)

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Yes, you probably could, but i would be safe and use Disk Utility to restore the Time Machine partition to the other partition. although, im not sure why youd want to do that, its just a copy taking up space and wouldnt be an advantage in disk failure.

and yes you can store files and view them from another Mac on a Time Machine disk. however, Time Machine formats your disk before the first backup.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"I created a Time Machine backup, and could I make a copy using Carbon Copy Cloner on the same hard disk?"

I would recommend that for CCC, you create your CCC bootable clone on a SEPARATE drive (one that doesn't have a TM backup on it).

At the very least, your CCC backup should go onto a separate PARTITION (if it's going to be on the same drive as TM).

Cheap and handy solution for handling more than one backup drive:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb+sata+dock&x=0&y=0
    (many items shown, they all work the same, pick one you like that's cheap)

Combine the USB/SATA docking station with a couple of "bare drives" from the vendor of your choice, and you have a handy "multi-drive" backup station. You can even boot from the docked drive with a CCC backup on it.