Time Machine and iPhoto –*I cannot figure this out!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CandiceC, Feb 26, 2011.

1. CandiceC macrumors newbie

Oct 22, 2009
    I have a quick question that I suspect has a very simple solution – I just don't know what it is!

I bought a 1tb Western Digital MyPassport yesterday to back up my MacBook. I really just want to store photos and music, but I decided to use Time Machine to back up the whole system, since I haven't done that since buying the computer in October 2009.

After I backed up all my photos, I deleted them from my hard drive. I seriously have way, way too many and they were taking up a ridiculous amount of space. I guess when I did that, I deleted my iPhoto library with it. It's all backed up on the external HD, so no worries (unless it fails. haha). The problem is, every time I connect my iPhone to my MacBook, it launches iPhoto and unless the external HD is connected, it makes me go through the process of creating a new photo library, which I then have to delete when I do connect the external HD. Aurgh. It's giving me a headache.

I cannot for the life of my figure out how to restore the library to my computer so that I don't have to have my external HD plugged in every single time I connect my phone to the computer. I know that I could make it to where iPhoto doesn't launch when I connect it, but I don't really want to have to have my external HD connected when I want to download pictures from my phone, either.

I have tried to go into Time Machine and restore the library. The option is grayed out. I can't even find it in the backup files, so I can't just drag and drop. What in the world am I doing wrong?
  2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

Sep 15, 2010
    Hamburg, Germany
    that might explain it. the way TM works, if you delete data from your HD, it will eventually be deleted from your TM backups too.

TM is a backup, and not a storage solution !

FWIW, have a look at this user tip and scroll down to restoring via iPhoto.