Time Machine back up of iTunes and I photo

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr M5, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Mr M5 macrumors regular

As I load things to my new hard drive, I'm wondering what the proper way of loading iTunes and iPhoto back is exactly?

I'm doing this file folder by file folder, and when I open the "music" folder I see iPod-which seems to have nothing in it, and iTunes which has Artwork, I tunes Library extras, I tunes library Genius, i tunes Library and then I tunes music Mobile applications and Previous I tunes Libraries. Do I simply put these folder back to the "documents" on my new hard drive?

Then for the folder "pictures" I see a bunch of random stuff, Ichat Icons, iPhoto Library, iPhoto Slideshows, photo booth library more random photos, and thumbs db. So same questions as above.

I'm sure this is a simple question, but these two things are massively important to me in not messing up.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

To make sure you don't miss anything, I would move the entire contents of your user ~/Music and ~/Pictures folder from the backup to the same folders on the new machine. Even is some of those folders are empty, they may be needed by iTunes or iPhoto later on to store things. Since they are empty, they won't be using any space anyway.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

there's more to iTunes than just the Music directory..there's stuff in ~/Library

4. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright so I got iTunes to load all my stuff. I did so by dragging the files to the music folder in my documents and then holding option while opening iTunes and choosing that folder.

However, when i went to do iPhoto this way it did not get my photos. Ideas?

5. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH15264