Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
I got some sort of error saying that my Time machine drive was not recognized. It's a USB drive connected to an AirPort Extreme. I can rechoose it just fine from the Time machine prefs, but there are no longer any backups showing. I have to re-backup from scratch. However, only part of the space is available, which I guess means that all the data files from the old backups are probably still there.

This drive had been backing up more than one computer but I see it's not backing up the other one either now.

Is Time machine back-up over WiFi of more than one computer kind of a good idea Or could it have something to do with my network? The only thing that I've done recently to the network is replaced a (dumb) Ethernet switch. The switch connected to that particular AirPort Extreme unit had become flaky, and every so often I'd lose that part of the network. I replaced it with another (dumb) Ethernet switch and all is fine now.

Is this a known issue? Could my network switch change altered anything? Note, I haven't tested the disk to see if the drive is failing, but as mentioned I can still reselect the drive now and as a new Time machine backup drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.