Time Machine keeps "Backing Up", but doesn´t starts.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fuzuku, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Fuzuku macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. I had my time machine in only wifi mode for like the last month or so, then I redicided to use the backing up feature and all kinds of weird things started happening.

At first, it just gave the message "Backing up" for hours, and it would just keep at that message. (I know that at some point it can take hours to actually start the backup but it´s not this case here) Then like yesterday it started backing up but I turned down the computer as I thought it would be normal that my time capsule would work normally.

I unplugged it, and hited the reset switch several times, and nothing happened. It would not work. Am not a computer technician, I spend most of my time making music, so any help would be appreciated to keep my precious files safe. Cheers.

2. georgegarrigues macrumors newbie

OK, Fuzuku, let's start at the beginning: Do you have your computer hooked up to an external drive with the proper connection? And what kind of external drive? Does it hold more than the internal drive? How much more? Say, about three time as much?

Sincerely, your friend, George :)

3. Fuzuku thread starter macrumors newbie

Time Capsule wifi and Backup.

Thanks George. Basically, I have set up my time machine as a wifi, and it does backing ups as well too, in wifi mode. I tried fixing it with disk utility, using the "Fix" Button, and it didn´t work.

Now am wondering if to use the "Erase" Button or the "Restore" one. Many thanks on the help. :)

4. georgegarrigues macrumors newbie

I really don't know what you mean by wifi mode. My only experience with Time Machine is when the computer is attached to an external hard drive by a cable. Perhaps you are confusing Time Machine (the program) with Time Capsule, which I understand is some kind of device.:confused:

5. Fuzuku thread starter macrumors newbie

Terms

Yes, you´re right, I used the terms wrong. Time Capsule is the hardware, and time machine the software. Well, I use my Time Capsule in Wifi mode, doing my backups too that way and connecting to the internet. I´ve been resolving the issue somewhere else, but I do appreciate your concern. It was really easy to solve with the Mac´s help .app. Thanks again.