Time Machine to USB NAS on Buffalo AirStation Router?

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
I picked up a new router, and realized that there's a NAS capable USB port on it. How I missed that when I bought it, I have no idea.

The router in question is a Buffalo AirStation N600. It comes with DD-WRT out of the box. Has anybody had luck using Time Machine backups with this or any other DD-WRT router? My understanding is that Time Machine uses Samba protocol to do its work, but I could be mistaken. Any info is appreciated. :)

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Trying to time machine backup to anything other than an apple approved device is full of issues and land mines. Don't do it.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I picked up a new router, and realized that there's a NAS capable USB port on it. How I missed that when I bought it, I have no idea.

The router in question is a Buffalo AirStation N600. It comes with DD-WRT out of the box. Has anybody had luck using Time Machine backups with this or any other DD-WRT router? My understanding is that Time Machine uses Samba protocol to do its work, but I could be mistaken. Any info is appreciated. :)
Time Machine needs the Apple Filing Protocol (AFP), so if your NAS supports AFP it should work. From a quick search I did, it does not look like the N600 supports AFP. You might be able to find a version of DD-WRT that supports AFP?

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
Thanks, it looks like it is or was possible using the netatalk project in conjunction with stock DD-WRT firmware. We'll see what happens...I'll update the thread as I move along.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.