Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mokwi8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
I am about to install something which I am unsure whether it will damage my system. If it does, can I just use Time Machine to revert back to my old system? (Similar to System Restore on Windows)
Thank You

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
How would I go about restoring my system properly?

You boot from the cloned backup via holding down the OPTION key during startup and selecting the clone.
Once the cloned Mac OS X has fully loaded, start Disk Utility (Spotlight will find it), erase the volume/partition with the defunct Mac OS X installation.

Then open CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper (whichever application you took in the first place) and choose the newly formatted (erased) partition/volume as target and clone the working backup back to it.

mokwi8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
You boot from the cloned backup via holding down the OPTION key during startup and selecting the clone.
Once the cloned Mac OS X has fully loaded, start Disk Utility (Spotlight will find it), erase the volume/partition with the defunct Mac OS X installation.

Then open CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper (whichever application you took in the first place) and choose the newly formatted (erased) partition/volume as target and clone the working backup back to it.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.