Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InSanJuan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2005
Check out the cover of the August 8, 2005 issue of Time Magazine. The "very complicated child" is wearing an iPod unit that unfortunately showcases the very same problem everyone we know has lived with: namely, a broken cord on one (or both) of the wires leading to the speakers.

In this image, the popular "knot solution" is employed, but tape is sometimes used as well, or a third party set of buds are finally purchased!

When is apple going to fix this problem and make a replacement set available to previous owners? Clearly this is a global problem.

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Am I the only one who has never used these earbuds that came with the iPod? Mine are still sitting crisp in its little baggy. Are these things really that good? I might just have to find my iPod box to try them out.

Applespider

macrumors G4
InSanJuan said:
..the very same problem everyone we know has lived with: namely, a broken cord on one (or both) of the wires leading to the speakers.

Nope, haven't had this problem on my original iPod headphones or on my in-ear headphones and nor have any of my iPod-toting friends mentioned it as a problem. I've had one of the in-ears fall apart, literally, and Apple just replaced them for me when I took them into the store.

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
InSanJuan said:
Check out the cover of the August 8, 2005 issue of Time Magazine. The "very complicated child" is wearing an iPod unit that unfortunately showcases the very same problem everyone we know has lived with: namely, a broken cord on one (or both) of the wires leading to the speakers.

In this image, the popular "knot solution" is employed, but tape is sometimes used as well, or a third party set of buds are finally purchased!

When is apple going to fix this problem and make a replacement set available to previous owners? Clearly this is a global problem.

i've noticed that newer iPod headphones have an extra piece of plastic there.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
When mine got like that, I called up Apple, expecting to just buy a new pair from them. They ended up just sending me some new ones for free, as well as a few Apple stickers. I was in the 90 day warrenty, though.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I put mine through hell and back most days and they've held up really well. These things seem really sturdy. Of course, they're pretty famous last words though. :(

MacHarne

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Virginia, U.S.A.
InSanJuan said:
The "very complicated child" is wearing an iPod unit that unfortunately showcases the very same problem everyone we know has lived with: namely, a broken cord on one (or both) of the wires leading to the speakers.
Up to this point in time, I have never heard of anyone who has had this problem regarding the headphones. I've used my 3G headphones from day one (mainly for running and workouts) and they are in perfect condition, but I have gone through a few pairs of the ear piece covers. I know innumerable people with iPods and no one has expressed having that type of trouble with their ear buds. Strange.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
Apple will replace most iPod accessories if you submit a service request online. I've received two free pairs of earbuds, a new belt clip, and a new dock (even though it turns out the old one works fine, i thought it was broken. now i have two).

And yes, I did have that little earbud-cable-splitting-near-the-Y-connector problem. But free earbuds come within a few days.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
eh my original set is about a year old (same as the iPod go figure :p) and they were starting to crackle and such, I was about to buy a new set of ear buds when my roomie bought a new iPod and gave me the ones' from his cuz he prefered his sony. But yeah the new one's have an extra piece of plastic that slides up and down to cut down on the slack and such.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Before the new piece of plastic was added, I went through at least 3 pairs of headphones due to this issue. Apple however, always promptly sent me a replacement set. :)

the_freddinator

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2005
SE PA
tag said:
Am I the only one who has never used these earbuds that came with the iPod? Mine are still sitting crisp in its little baggy. Are these things really that good? I might just have to find my iPod box to try them out.

If you have your own preferred earphones/buds, I'd use them. the earbuds apple gives you standard aren't very good. From a musician's point of view, the lowend is subpar and in general they give you a little bit thin sound.
So if you want really good sound quality then stick w/ your own earphones. If you don't care (since the music might already be in AAC) earbuds work fine.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
When at home I use my Sennheiser headphones. But everywhere else I use my Apple headphones.........
and I am still using my Apple headphones that came with my original 5GB iPod years ago........no problems with them.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
No problems here either. Maybe someone is paying Time off to run a negative story on iPods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.