TIME Magazine Suspends Fareed Zakaria a Month Over Plagiarized Parts of Column

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 184550, Aug 10, 2012.

1. 184550, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012

184550 Guest

NY Times

Damn shame, especially for CNN. Ted just needs to shut CNN* for six months or a year and relaunch it with a new, more streamlined and relevant vision. Or perhaps it's finally time to cue 'Nearer, My God, to Thee'.

*Colloquially speaking.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I think Ted sold off his stake a few years ago.

This is a shame, I've got Fareed's "After America" book and I'd like to read it when I have time (quite a queue to get through). He seems like an intelligent man.

3. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

At least they are willing to take action against misconduct, which is always good.

Ted lost control over CNN when the Time Warner - AOL merger fell flat and he lost about $7 Billion.

4. 184550 thread starter Guest

Yeah, around 2008 I believe.

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I wonder what exactly he plagiarized and from whom?

6. 184550 thread starter Guest

Article says this specific instance was what TIME suspended him for:

Evidently her article/ essay was on gun control.

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

In this day and age, plagiarizing, especially of online material is incredibly risky imo. Confirmed! :)

8. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

That is seriously disappointing. He always seemed like a smart and decent sort of guy.

9. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Disappointing to say the least considering his show always seems to present arguments that no one (on TV as least) is presenting. Also gives a more world perspective. Makes you think.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It's always strange when someone this intelligent makes such a stupid mistake. Kind of reminds me of Eliot Spitzer and his reckless indiscretions.

11. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

This is why in all of my scholarly reports for my BBA, I sourced everything. Always cover your behind.

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I agree. CNN International is good, but the US version is just awful. So much fail.

I think both of those qualities still hold true. That said, he's lucky they only suspended him, I would have fired him.

I do too. My work is littered with sources, whether paraphrased, quoted, or just used as a source. I'm claiming very little credit for individual sections.

What's interesting is both Lehrer and Zakaria would have been saved by just crediting the other writer. Even Lehrer could have just written, "as I wrote in..." and he would have been safe. You can quote and use other sources, just give credit and if you're not sure, do it anyway.