Time on Text Messages?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghsNick, Nov 5, 2011.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I notice that the time only pops up on text messages at certain times when looking back through a conversation.

Is there any way to go in the settings to make the time for each text message available?

2. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Always wondered about this myself. It will be nice to know even if it is a jailbreak solution. Looking forward to this thread.

3. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

It just kills me because I hate answering within minutes if I'm talking to a girl because I don't want to seem like I'm just waiting on their texts. So I want to see the time lol.

4. jekyoo macrumors 6502

No but there is a tweak to show the time stamp if you're jailbroken. I hope a jailbreak comes out for the 4S soon.

5. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I don't want to Jailbreak it...but that's kind of retarded not showing the time...pretty stupid move in my opinion.

6. Scott90 macrumors 6502

Has been one of the main reasons for me to jailbreak. I've been putting in requests for it during the beta testing of iOS 5, but to no avail...

On a related note: does anyone know the logic behind when the new timestamp is shown?

7. dave420 macrumors 65816

I think it is shown after the first message after every 15 minutes (after 2:00, 2:15, 2:30, and 2:45)

8. jekyoo macrumors 6502

Because why would you need to know the timestamp every time? Apple has it set up where it appears whenever there is X minutes since the last text. So when you're constantly texting someone back and forth quickly, it won't show.

It's a legitimate feature but like yourself, I like the timestamp for all my messages also. That's why I use biteSMS. It doesn't show the timestamp unless I highlight a specific message.

9. Scott90, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

Scott90 macrumors 6502

Don't think so. I sent a message at 11:59 at some point, and twelve messages followed without timestamp. The thirteenth then had a timestamp at 12:13. I also tried this with myself: iMessage to myself at 6:28, which got the time stamp. The second message I sent at 6:31 and didn't get a time stamp.
    I'm not sure why I want it, but I find myself wanting it regularly (even though those couple of minutes generally don't matter). I guess it looks a little cluttered if you have a bunch of one-line messages in a row and a time stamp in between every time, but PLEASE give me that option. I can live with missing functionality generally, but this one has been bugging me ever since I got an iPhone.

10. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

if you go back to the list of conversations, it will say the last time a text message was received...

11. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

It's going to be one of the highlights of iOS 6, just wait a year

12. rkeato1 macrumors regular

How can we get this implemented on an update for iOS 5? This is a feature I've been waiting/hoping for.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Even if you don't have it displayed, whoever you're sending the texts to will still have times displayed.

14. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Like i said i will keep an eye on this thread and for those who are saying is not necessary... It can be useful for many reasons, is a proof on when you send or receive a message no matter the reason is, you want the time there. The question is simple: If almost all the phones have it, why not the ios?

Even if its for something as dumb like proving your gf you sent a message at a time to proving something in a legal court or maybe something casual like my case, because i am organized and if someone fails me for 15 mins in my job it means a lot.

15. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

No matter how important you think it is, due to the possibility of hacking and faking everything, it is rare that text messages stand up in a legal aspect, so I have to imagine Apple didn't consider a stamp on every message to be a priority.

16. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's absurd that the time stamp doesn't appear for every message. I find it annoying and there is no justification for Apple to stamp only some messages.

17. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Sure there is, more texting clutter! Frankly, I'd find it annoying.

18. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Then they should make it an option like character count and subject.

19. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

No no... what is stupid is how something as simple as that is not added yet and like you see in this post people prefer their times in there. Is not like a mayor update is needed to add time on text, it can be done in the next 5.02 update lol. To tell you the truth is 100x more stupid than when we did not have copy and paste until 3.0 and i had it in my year 2000 motorolla and i was like wtf my 3g still does not have it... and like austin say if it is get clustered make it optional still the ios needs a mayor UI interface change.

20. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I dont like it either. But whenever the jailbreak is available, I'm going back to bitesms.

21. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Hope is soon i feel incomplete without jailbreak

22. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

This has been the case ever since I had an iPhone in the 3G days. It doesn't display a time stamp within 5 minutes of a past sent or received text message. After that it shows.

23. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

You should at least be able to hold down on a text to check its timestamp. This is the only feature from my Whackberry that I miss.

24. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

It seems great too.

25. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

text messages are admissible in court. only if they are verified to be the same one that was sent through the carrier's network. and that will have all the info you need.

-----

Time stamps would be great. They can keep it as is and just make some sort of "hover" thing where you press and hold the message and see the time/date. They can still keep the normal stamping style they have right now. I don't jailbreak. Only thing I use is a third party software to archive my texts (Phoneview) each text is timestamped, so the ability and the function is in there. And I'm pretty sure the phone is doing it as it receives, just show us.