Time to buy a new Apple Laptop, Love this place, advise me please if you will.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ThoseBackPages, Feb 16, 2015.

1. ThoseBackPages macrumors regular

Let me start by saying that i love the open, honesty that the members ive interacted with here. Now that that is out of the way, on with the show!

i am a victim (like many others) of the Late 2011 MBP 15" Debacle. im currently typing this up on it, after preforming all the usual "life support" tricks to get it's heart pumping again. But who knows how long it will live? im not happy about having to replace it, but who would be really?

ok, heres what i do with my laptop

i am a middle aged man who is not computer savvy at all.

i do not play computer games.
    i do not use computer programs like WORD or anything of the sort.
    i do not edit videos, music or anything.
    i do not know what all those fancy terminologies about "specs" mean

i like to have Safari and GoogleChrome/Firefox both open in their own frame, with a bunch of tabs open in each.
    i like iTunes for storing my music and movies
    i like that this machine im on has a nice large display.

other then the fact that this MBP is dying, i have zero complaints about how it runs and how it's treated me as a whole since 2011. its the bare bones "out of the box" version of the 15" MBP from late 2011

2. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

Get a base 15" model.

The specs would be too high for your use, but you said you would like a big display.

Based on your post, I believe you will honestly love it :apple:

EDIT: Consider refurbished 15" models to say some $$$

3. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

You didn't say anything about needing a portable computer or about wanting a retina screen, so a 21.5" iMac could fill your needs nicely. Refurbished models start at under $1,000:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac/21

They have standard hard drives, but that's what you're used to.

Here are some refurbished 15" MBPs:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/15

I have a 13" retina MBP for portable writing. I hook up a 27" monitor to it at home, attach Apple's USB keyboard with the numeric keypad, and use a TrackPad. The monitor has the same resolution as the standard 27" iMac. It's a nice setup.

4. radioking, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015

radioking macrumors regular

How big is your media collection and are you planning on keeping it on your laptop? If you need more than 256GB of hard drive space the latest 15 inch MBP is going to get real expensive real quick.

5. Asher133 macrumors member

Honestly for your needs I would just suggest a Macbook air if you can deal with a 13inch screen but if not w base model 15 inch Mbp would do you justice it doesn't seem like you do a lot on your computer other then googling and YouTube videos

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

7. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

The OP isn't techy by the looks of it. I doubt he'll want to open up his Mac.

OP If you can manage with a smaller screen, then a 13" MBA may be good, otherwise the 15" rMBP base model (possibly consider a refurb late '13 model as it will be cheaper and still be more than powerful enough for your needs).

If you could live with a desktop, then a base model iMac would be the way to go.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

I wasn't talking about him doing it.
    He should just order it with an ssd inside.
    It does not appear like a laptop makes any sense for him. Especially the rmbp 15"

9. bennibeef macrumors 6502

Come on guys, why do you want to get him onto an iMac when he always used a notebook, an 13 pro or air when he loves the big display?

Just get the 15 base model, its a big upgrade from the 15 in 2011 you will love it.

The poster doesnt sound like he wants to save every penny or needs to dont press him down to a 13 inch just because you would save some bucks even if he would not need the processing power. The display is enough to want the 15 inch one.

If his harddrive of the 2011 is pretty full, he could consider upgrading the 15 base 256 ssd to a 512 one.

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

So, why not an iMac?

11. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

Because he's had a notebook his whole life. He might want a desktop, I don't know.

But based on what he's use to, that's why I think a 15" base MBPr makes sense.

A refurb makes even more sense.

12. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

OK fair point. I agree in that a desktop may be more suitable, unless he wants to be portable.

In all fairness an iPad would suit everything except screen size, however it is also what the OP is used to and what he wants.

13. Meister Suspended

Meister

Of course you are right, but with iPads there is always the screen size dilemma.
    Actually for surfing and streaming an :apple:tv might work, too. ;)

14. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

^^^ This

I think you will be more than happy with the base model rMBP for your needs if you are happy to stay with a portable. Unlike your old MBP it will not have an internal disc drive but you can hook up an external drive if you are still using discs. ;)

15. ThoseBackPages thread starter macrumors regular

see, i KNEW id get the good info here. i really love you guys, no joke!

a few things....

i am wanting a laptop for ease of use, anywhere. i dont lug this one around, but if i need to, i do. so that rules out an iMac (which i do own an old one)

while i am not a MUST BE 15" Screen kinda guy, i AM open to the 13", would have to get used to the smaller screen (is that something that is possible?)

Retina? ..... obviously this computer doesnt have a retina display, and it
    looks just fine to me when i watch movies/tv/etc

i upgraded from the iPhone 4S to the iPhone 6+, and the screen DOES blow me away. i am wondering if the same thing would apply to a MPB

i have a lot of music on my iTunes. i have it all backed up on an external hard drive, which would suck up all the flash memory on a new MBP.

is there a way to just keep the music/movies on the external hard drive, and use that as the storage FOR the iTunes. Not sure im wording that correctly.

16. RKO, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015

RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

See link HERE

Edit: I have both the 13" and 15" rMBP. As a middle aged guy, I do appreciate the extra real estate on the 15" over the 13". If you want to save a few dollars/need something more portable and think you can put up with a smaller screen by all means get the 13".

Why don't you try one out instore and see what you think? :)

17. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

If I were you, I'd just subscribe to iTunes Match. No need to back up anything to an external hard drive or anything. It just analyzes your library and matches it with what Apple sells on iTunes (much faster than uploading the files) and if you have some that aren't in the store, those get uploaded. All you'd have to do to access your music is sign in with your Apple ID in iTunes on your new computer and you're off to the races It's $25 a year. I'm in my second year of using it and it's been great have access to my music on all of my devices without having to sync and backup, etc.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/itunes-match/

I have a ton of CDs so thats the reason I subscribe to it.

18. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

This link shows how you can backup your iTunes data, but it does not offer a way to use an external drive for iTunes to access media, which is what it sounded like the OP was after.

19. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

After backing iTunes media up as per instructions if the OP wishes to "play" iTunes Media direct the from External HD they will need to change the location:

With External HD still connected

Open iTunes App
    Select "Preferences" from iTunes menu at top of screen
    Ensure "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" is ticked
    Click on "Advanced" tab
    Click on "Change" button
    Click on "External HD" under devices in Finder menu
    Locate and click on "iTunes" folder then click on "iTunes Media"
    Click on "Open"
    Click on "OK"

If for any reason the iTunes App loses the location of the iTunes Media on the external HD, hold the "option" key at the same time when you are opening the iTunes App and repeat above to locate the "iTunes Media" folder again.

20. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Go Retina

Honestly the display is well worth it over the air simple as that, for me it's more about text than photos and videos, text looks printed onto the screen.

I would look at getting an NAS system just connect it to your router and be able to access your music anywhere in the house, hell you can access it online if you want to.

As for screen size I love my 13 inch rMBP it is a lovely, smal,l light little powerhouse that does everything I need wherever I go, however I do find the screen a little small sometimes. If you go for refurb you can get a 15 inch one fairly cheaply these days...

21. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

OP, reading all your posts, I am sure that a 15" MacBook Pro will meet all your needs. (The screen/display is awesome, btw, you will like it, like your iPhone 6).
    And yes, you can store all your music, movies, pictures on an external harddrive. Actually it is an ideal solution.

Good luck!

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OP, based on what you say, and you're happy with the base 2011 MBP, get the base 15" MBP now. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

23. Asher133 macrumors member

I honestly hate when people make such comments the screen on the Mac book air isn't that bad of a quality its actually quite nice I happen to own both an air and a retina just because something has a better screen doesn't make the other screen inferior the screen on the air is amazing quality just a few years ago you were most likely using a non retina screen for your computing needs and there were no complaints then about how horrible the screen quality is looks, people With 4k screen will say the retina looks crappy compared to it yes that's true but that doesn't make it an inferior screen just a less nicer one but still of great and amazing quality.

24. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

And????

I would fully understand that comment if I had said anything bad about the Airs screen. I didn't. I just pointed out that the retina screen is awesome and as the screen is arguably the most important part of any laptop the extra cash (not a lot for similar specs) is well worth it for that screen.

25. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

Considering the relatively basic needs and a desire to achieve the best price/quality combo, I'd say a 13-inch retina MBP would make a great option; you get the light(er)weight and the awesome screen, you get a full-fledge dual-core processor and more RAM off the shelf, etc. I don't see the point in getting a 15-inch model, the user can rely on an external screen if/when he needs it.

I would however wait until the Broadwell update hits the MBPs, it's a good update to have as far as laptops go.