Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
2nd half of October is here, and no rumors or announcements of press events in sight. Is it time to give up on refreshes this year? Might Apple kill Macs completely and focus completely on iOS devices?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
2nd half of October is here, and no rumors or announcements of press events in sight. Is it time to give up on refreshes this year? Might Apple kill Macs completely and focus completely on iOS devices?

Maybe?

There are plenty of options out there when it comes to computers. Figure out what your needs and your budget are, and then buy a computer that meets those needs and fits within your budget.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If we don't see any invites or any silent updates this coming week, then yeah, I think the door is closing for a 2016 update

Reactions: Trey M

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
I wonder how Apple expects all the software that runs on iOS to be built? Developers tend to be on the brainy side, and they know the value on current macs are trash.

zaphodb3

macrumors member
May 3, 2015
Giving up on refreshes for the year and it's only October?! :)

Lots of rumors are pointing an event in the last week of October, sometime around the fourth quarter fiscal results on October 25. I imagine they are aiming to calm those who are jittery due to slow sales by releasing a sexy and shiny new slate of products in time for holiday season. Realistically we'll probably get an announcement this month for laptops being available beginning in November.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013

No this is nonsense you are completely over reacting, get a grip it's just a computer update, it'll happen when it happens.

If you need a new computer now go and buy one, if Apple don't make what you want or need buy something else. If you want an apple one then bad luck, you need one when an update is due, that happens and could happen whatever maker you buy.

Reactions: arefbe and jerryk

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Maybe it is purposeful. Apple wants people to buy their products all year long, not hold off buying because of a predictable update schedule. This creates poor sales in previous quarters, which is something no exec or stockholder wants.

If you don't know when the update is coming, you keep buying.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
No this is nonsense you are completely over reacting, get a grip it's just a computer update, it'll happen when it happens.

If you need a new computer now go and buy one, if Apple don't make what you want or need buy something else. If you want an apple one then bad luck, you need one when an update is due, that happens and could happen whatever maker you buy.
Yes, let's just disregard the investment one has in the ecosystem. Sorry, the decision to leave is not as easy as changing the brand of toothpaste you use. That is why there is a lot of passion involved in Apple playing the fiddle, while the state of Mac computers burns.

Why is this so hard for some people to understand?

Reactions: vipergts2207

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yes, let's just disregard the investment one has in the ecosystem. Sorry, the decision to leave is not as easy as changing the brand of toothpaste you use.
I think overall the decision is a lot easier to switch platforms now then it was a few years ago. Thanks to the subscription model, many name brand applications (adobe, MS), allow you to install on PC or Macs. I'm on both, and with the exception of a few apps, have everything I need on both platforms.

Reactions: Queen6

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003
In as much as "there's one more thing" was iconic to Apple... so was the phrase "this is our holiday lineup." Right around the corner so an event needs to happen soon, don't give up hope just yet.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Yes, let's just disregard the investment one has in the ecosystem. Sorry, the decision to leave is not as easy as changing the brand of toothpaste you use. That is why there is a lot of passion involved in Apple playing the fiddle, while the state of Mac computers burns.

Easy to understand (although not true anymore) just irrelevant.

Wait or buy what's available then. You have 2 choices stay with Apple or don't. whinging on about it, ranting raving and being impatient on online forums is not going to change those 2 choices.

There are very obvious reasons why the updates are taking so long this time round and it's all to do with apples suppliers. No one else has iris pro skylake laptops out, no one else has mobile Polaris GPU's out, no one else has 13 inch laptops with iris graphics either even with skylake being released 5 months ago.

Apple are no further behind than anyone else.

Yes others have released skylake and even Kabylake with lesser chips, but Apple will take their time do it right and test them to death before release and will again be producing the best laptops about.

I for one approve of their doing it properly attitude and wish they would move back to that for their OS updates once every two or three years would be far better if they got it right.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

It's a computer. Don't give it too much importance. There will always be a new and better one coming out some day in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: azpekt

NickPhamUK

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013
Are Apple giving up on Macs? They released updated rMacBooks this year.
Why should Apple give up on a product line that helps them generate 5.2 billion USD in a quarter? Makes no sense at all.

I swear, y'all just need to be patient.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
Why should Apple give up on a product line that helps them generate 5.2 billion USD in a quarter? Makes no sense at all.

I swear, y'all just need to be patient.

That's what I mean, they released updated MacBook earlier this year so why are people saying they are giving up... Either you missed my point or I missed yours. :p

jacob_w

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2015
Just noticed something interesting: All of the base model rMBPs are in stock at the stores here in Montreal. However, if you configure any one of them, it shows that they'll be available for pick-up Friday, 28th while shipping takes only 1-3 days.

New MacBook Pros will be coming by the end of the month?? I hope this is not too good to be true. 20161017170505.png

-Update-
Also checked stores in the US. Showing pickup will be available on the 27th.
20161017171231.png

Last edited:
Reactions: topgunn

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
I don't think customised models are held in stores? The additional time likely accounts for delivery from a central storage location or direct from manufacturing. It's the same here in the UK, order today, available 27th. I just think it's a coincidence as its not like they'd send you a different, i.e. newer, notebook than the one you order even if they did announce new hardware between now and the end of the month. :)

Reactions: UltraInstinct

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
It's a computer. Don't give it too much importance. There will always be a new and better one coming out some day in the future.
It's an OS environment with lots of already purchased software. It's not as easy as changing socks.

Why are you purposefully being so dense?

jacob_w

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2015
I don't think customised models are held in stores? The additional time likely accounts for delivery from a central storage location or direct from manufacturing. It's the same here in the UK, order today, available 27th. I just think it's a coincidence as its not like they'd send you a different, i.e. newer, notebook than the one you order even if they did announce new hardware between now and the end of the month. :)

I did check the time frame for iMacs as well. They will be available for pickup on the 25th. It's just me speculating tho. And I agree, it is very likely just a coincidence :(

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
I think overall the decision is a lot easier to switch platforms now then it was a few years ago. Thanks to the subscription model, many name brand applications (adobe, MS), allow you to install on PC or Macs. I'm on both, and with the exception of a few apps, have everything I need on both platforms.
I say no-thanks to subscription models. If there is ANY option available, I'll go that route. I doubt I am alone.

At some point, I'll have no choice, I understand. But until then, no $&@%#'n way.

blahbrah

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2006
I'm not sure I believe new Macs are even coming. The shells, rumors, have all been around for so long with no changes or updates makes me think Cook may have killed the redesign for whatever reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.