Time to give us more RAM apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Djs621, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Djs621 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Trust me I get it... Apples walled garden and control allows the iPhone to efficiently manage it's memory. With the advent of ios 5.0 and the more intense demand being put on the iPhone 512mb ain't cuttin it. Im not normally someone who stresses about this but I had to see what was going on. I download an app called istat that allows you to monitor the systems. Turns out the memory is down to an average of 5%. C'mon apple. It the sh$& would it kill you to stick a gig of ram in the iPhone 5??

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

He, he.....sounds like the problem is the app and not the phone. The memory is supposed to be used. If it's free it's wasted memory. :cool:

3. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

I agree that the next device should have a gig of ram. With all the features of iOS 5 the phone uses way more memory. I understand clearing out the memory but I get down to 56mb free on a daily basis and I do not have many apps installed but the ones I use put the phone to the test.:confused:

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

5. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Running iOS 5 on my old 3GS has no issues with a fourth of the memory you're requesting.

Moving right along...nothing to see here.

6. Djs621 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

More memory would actually increase battery life by putting less strain on te processors

7. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Not necessarily since it would require more of a voltage draw to help control the memory. It would speed up the system, of course, as the memory in iOS as well as OS X is the main bottleneck of the system, assuming you're running both on flash memory and not spinning drives.

8. mopatops macrumors regular

mopatops

You fail at logic.

9. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Adding more RAM would practically make no difference to battery life.

Regarding RAM, Apple intentionally holds technology so that they can call the next update revolutionary and magical:rolleyes: I wouldn't be surprised if they don't include 1GB RAM in the next update..

10. Djs621 thread starter macrumors regular

Because its all about what YOU are experiencing and if YOU aren't having a problem how could anyone else right??

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

So you know: iStat is over two years out of date, and has't been updated to understand any local hardware past the 3GS. Look at your memory allocations in iStat and you'll see they don't add up to 512MB at all. It's operating under the assumption that your phone only has 128MB of RAM, and will badly underreport how much free RAM you have because of that.

The developer has done a LOUSY job of updating this app, and I've complained to them about it a bnch of times, only to be told a new update is "coming soon. :) " But it never happens.

Everything else is off too: it totally doesn't understand the higher capacity batteries, for instance. And two cores? What's that??

iStat IS still good for monitoring remote systems, like other macs and linux servers, and that's why I still use it. But what it says is happening on your iPhone is completely off.

12. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

You have proof of this?

13. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

No, it's doesn't NEED 1GB of RAM. The problem is that people are downloading these crap stat apps and see the memory "getting low" or jail breaking and seeing the stats. The truth is the average consumer doesn't give a crap about how much RAM the iPhone has nor do they barely even know what RAM is or does. All they care about is if the phone works or not. And it does work. I have a lot of apps on my 4S and haven't had it slow down whatsoever. It's been buttery smooth since day 1 even with graphic intensive games and apps. Stop looking at the stats and worry about if the phone works or not. If the phone runs smooth, why add more RAM? Just because some Android phone claims to have 1GB of RAM? Just because istat says the memory is low? News flash: Apple doesn't list the RAM on its site because it doesn't need to. It's not an Android phone where the specs are the selling point. All the average consumer cares about is if the phone works smoothly or not. Which it does.

14. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

The moment you said you downloaded an out of date app not designed to properly monitor the phone you have it on, is when your comment lost all hope.

First off, before this app gave you incorrect information, you were fine. But when it gave you a number is when the "problem" arose.
    Its like those that have a battery percentage issue. They look at the number and have issues. Removing said number allows them to truly see its value.
    Don't put all your faith in a number, ever.

15. Djs621 thread starter macrumors regular

You know what I apologize the app is actually called "system status" and according to iTunes its up to date

16. Richardgm, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012

Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

Need more RAM because:

Can't keep 4 tabs in Safari active.
    Open one game and everything in the background terminates.

17. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

It would be nice to have more than 8 tabs open on Safari.

18. Djs621 thread starter macrumors regular

I agree with you, most people including myself gleefully don't pay attention to stats, you don't have to the phone just works. However, maybe I should have been more clear in the opening post, the reason I started looking at my memory was because I started experiencing a slow down.

Now just because your experiences are different than mine doesn't mean I'm hallucinating or I'm the only other person in the world who is having a problem. So everyone put your guns down and chill #

19. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Man this is MacRumors. If you say you need something more than Apple already provides you get rotten fruit thrown at you.

20. cynics macrumors G4

Even with a gig of ram you'd still see the majority of ram used. With more you'd be able to have more things in the background stay in a suspended state versus closing. I think we'd benefit from more ram but this memory programs would still show it being low just because that's the nature of the OS. Nothing wrong with that.

21. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'd love 1GB+ of RAM in the iP5 - Safari would just be that more useful, and more apps 'open' at the same time can only be a good thing.

22. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

It's interesting to see the opinion that well utilized RAM is a bad thing and then make the assumption that more ram will benefit the system. I don't want to pay or devote resources for unused RAM. My assumption is that with 1GB of RAM, 95% of it should be utilized and folks will still want more RAM because it's 95% utilized and want still more stuff "open".

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'd like 3-4GB's of ram.
    Is that too much to ask?:D

24. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Not at all. Let's throw in two or three PCI slots and a SATA port while you're at it.

25. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a