Time to invest outside of US Markets?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by statik13, Mar 23, 2018.

Tags:
?

Will you start to invest more outside of US Markets?

1. Yes - The party is over, I'm pulling the majority/all of my investments

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. Yes - The party is winding down. I'm diversifying some of my investments

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Yes - The party is slow but not over. I'll pull a bit, but not a large portion of my investments

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. N/A - Nothing to worry about. This is normal, carry on.

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. N/A - I'm already very diversified. Nothing to do.

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. N/A - I don't invest in America

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  7. No - I am adding extra money into US markets

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. No - I am betting on black. Let it ride!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. No - I'm ok with any personal losses if it means MAGA!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

We had a great year last year with the US Markets. A lot of investors made a lot of money.

Is the party over? I watched a small fortune of my own evaporate yesterday thanks to a certain president's twitter storm. It will likely come back, then again, there is just as likely to be yet another twitter tantrum.

So I'll ask the crowd, with Trump now playing fast and loose with policies, tariffs and trade partners is it time to diversify and look for opportunities outside of America?

2. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

I have most (about 75%) of my retirement spread across Vanguard ETF's including international ones. I am just leaving my money there for a 20 year long haul and hoping for the best.

3. chabig macrumors 603

International investing isn’t really diversification. Worldwide financial and economic systems are so intertwined that markets are highly correlated. What you’re seeing this year is normal market behavior. 2017 wasn’t normal, it was an outlier.

4. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

You only lost money if you sold yesterday. Hold for the long term and ride the ups and downs.

5. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Although not the only investment type, regardless of who is in office the majority of the tech industry has been a giant Ponzi scheme for a long time.

6. statik13 thread starter macrumors regular

statik13

The difference being other country's presidents aren't playing silly bugger with the financial markets. Most of my foreign investments are recovering today. My American ones are either staying still or continuing to fall.

We are also overdue for a bear market, so that plays into things.

Good advice. You shouldn't sell on the bumps in the market. However, if this is the start of a downwards trend you'd be further off moving your money offshore or keeping it as cash and then investing it back later.

7. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I'm already diversified international to some degree, at least what I can through US exchanges.

However, a couple of years ago I got out of China. (1) To lock in my gains, and (2) I just don't trust any of the numbers reported there.

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I already do. I mean, Apple is an Irish-based company. ;)

BL.

9. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Japan should be good until Olympics. China is still growing and has a lot more room for growth left. Many countries in Asia actually have room for growth. Highly populated and highly touristic countries are good

10. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Not bailing, just adding some downside protection in the form of PUTS. Market drops, the value of my stocks goes down, but the value of my puts goes up. Sell the puts after the crash, buy some more stocks at depressed prices and wait for it to go back up.

11. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Speaking of PUTS, them SPY PUTS paid off nicely today the last hour of trading. When the market was green this morning I bought some SPY PUTS. I figured that the market would not stay green for too long. Someone wanted to cover their call positions first and sure enough that was what happened pop followed by a bust just like a climax lol.

12. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

If you have a mutual fund like in your 401k, then it's already long advised that it be a diversified portfolio, including some "global funds" (e.g. betting on the growth of foreign markets and companies). This is not new advice.

13. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

14. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Something to keep in mind is how rigged all these markets are. When America tanks all other markets tank with it even in after hours where their futures tank. Who else would be selling when local markets are closed overseas..? Notice how on Friday the Nikkei in Japan tanked the most at around 5%. Keep in mind who owns around 80% of the Nikkei (BOJ). If you paid close attention on Friday is that prior to the US market tanking Japan had already been down over 3% which meant the government already knew what was going to happen so they started selling early. If you know where to look for clues it helps when trading indexes.

Anyone pay attention to what Warren said recently..? If you analyze his words carefully that means to prepare for some carnage or bloodbaths which is a sign to short.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/03/23/heres-what-warren-buffett-says-to-do-when-the-market-tanks.html

32E37E35-A1BF-4047-87AA-946042D5224A.jpeg

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Twitter storm isn't what rocked the market, we have a major tech company diving into a ********, major trade wars looming, and investors know interest rates are going to continue to climb, cheap money will start evaporating.

Add a 1+ trillion bill with no way to pay for it.

Quantitative easing and lowest historical interest rates couldn't stay around forever.

16. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Yes and guess who’s fault the bolded is.

17. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

You didn't lose any money if you sold yesterday and made a profit. What the markets do on Monday is totally irrelevant as soon as you sell. I think what you really mean is if you didn't sell on Friday then you'll wish you had by the end of next week.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Republicans and Dems who wrote and voted for it. President who didn't want to have another shutdown.

19. appleisking macrumors 6502a

I see you ignored the trade war part. That’s squarely on him. As for avoiding the shutdown. He doesn’t give a squat. He almost didn’t sign it because it didn’t find his precious wall enough. He’s just as complicit as the legislators who wrote it.

20. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

He generally does not care what others think and usually does what he wants to do but for his own personal benefits that is.

21. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

You're right. I knew that as soon as I posted, but I couldn't be bothered to correct it.

22. statik13 thread starter macrumors regular

statik13

Your prediction is coming true. :(

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

This seems to me to be a very important point, particularly if some numpty triggers trade wars.