Time to nationalize BP's US Oil Assets?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sdashiki, May 24, 2010.

1. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Is there legal recourse like this available to the American public?

Can we nationalize (i.e. take away from BP and like a little kid stealing the better big wheel on the playground, laugh as you use it while they watch...a tear beginning to well up) the 22,000 or so BP controlled oil/gas wells that just happen to mostly be on Federally controlled lands?

I dont see how the American public, except maybe those with BP stock who should have sold it by now anyway ( :p ), could be against such a thing. If BP can't do it right, we will find someone who can.

http://www.propublica.org/feature/epa-officials-weighing-sanctions-against-bps-us-operations

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I don't think it will be necessary--BP is already on the hook for many billions of dollars and is suffering a tremendous PR disaster.

Anyway, so what if we did sanction them? There will still be oil spills since other oil companies will step in to take their place. As long as we are dependent on massive amounts of oil we have to live with the consequences. In a way, everyone who drives a car is responsible for this oil spill.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well if you pay the fair market price for those assets I see no issue.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. There is no reason to start acting like Hugo Chavez in Venezuela.

5. Queso macrumors G4

Before acting the USA might want to check who some of the major shareholders of BP are. The Saudi and Kuwaiti royal families both have big stakes.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I have read the news and seen it on TV and it is pretty clear that media is not reporting a 10th of the truth.
    Never mind the fact that most of the problems that they are running into is the fact that no one has tried any of these things in 5000ft of water.

Also remember nationalization of it is a quick way to piss off other companies world wide and drive even a greater distrust of the government.

From what I am reading and what I know of deepwater rigs BP is doing everything that they can to solve the problem. The delays are partly that this is a lot of brand new stuff they are trying. Also it is basically construction which a minor thing can really slow down things down a few days. It requires a lot of things to be together and to work.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Anyone hear anything about RUssia saying it would be easier to just blow the well with explosives? That would ruin the well for BP, but screw em.

8. Queso macrumors G4

Russia aren't planning to use just ordinary explosives. Their research indicates the heat from a nuke would weld it shut.

I don't know about you, but that makes me a little bit nervous :eek:

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I am pretty sure the well is already ruined for BP. There is no way they will recover that much out of the well in terms of cost. Personally I think the reason the Russian idea is not being actively looked at is it is long shot and has a the potential of making the problem a lot worse instead of better.

Currently none of the things they are attempting can make things any worse.

10. Mac N Tosh macrumors regular

Only if you buy up its assets comrade...:mad:

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

There is some question about the overall impact of Corexit.

12. unid macrumors regular

Yes I wonder why BP are suppressing the publication of their reasons for refusing EPA directives regarding Nalcos' product.

13. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

As someone from Florida, I'd rather have oil on our beaches than a nuclear bomb detonated in the Gulf.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Because they know there will be no consequences for doing so.

15. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Id rather this disaster ends in an instant than over the course of the next effing decade. While NIMBY for anything nuclear warhead like, youd be surprised how much "ordinance" are just off the Atlantic and Caribbean coasts in FL>

But, silver lining: eventually when all the oil is dispersed across the world's oceans, waterways, seas and everything inbetween...science will have a new way of studying ocean currents and the like.

By testing the nasty fingerprint like chemical makeup of this Gulf crude.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Too late for that. They're still finding oil in Prince William Sound, and that's been 20 years. :mad:

17. unid macrumors regular

Jean-Michel Cousteau was apparently turned away by the USCG, however ABC News have footage of him diving into the toxic soup. The best 'silver lining' that can be hoped for is it's a catalyst for change.

18. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

19. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

No thank you.

In answer to the thread title:

Time to nationalize BP's US Oil Assets?

Cheers,
    OW

20. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

Yes it' time to take over BP. And the well closing job should be given to the US Military...I'm sure they can do it a lot sooner/better...

-J.-

21. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Let alone many Americans in the form of 401Ks

No offense to the OP, but the suggestion is just stupid

22. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Because you say so? And it was a question, not a suggestion.

23. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Well isn't it some form of communism right there?!! Government appropriating itself private resources..

Seriously though, the government has been to easy on BP. As it seems to be on every inch with financial regulation, healthcare, and soon-to-be immigration reform.

24. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I don't understand the leap from debarment to nationalization of a company.
    I also don't understand what the US would benefit from trying to nationalize an international company even if it's the US assets. Seems like it would just make more sense to tax the hell out of them and put bigger fines on them when they are not in compliance with regulations. Maybe everyone in the US should be getting an oil-subsidy check every year.