Time to stop the soft bigotry of low expectations toward the right wing press

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Jun 2, 2014.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014

jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

A somewhat dismal but provocative article in The Nation about the conservative press:

The mainstream and liberal press’s quixotic search for a ‘good’ conservative merely reinforces the soft bigotry of low expectations.

Rick Perlstein May 29, 2014

(There follows a discussion of conservative writers and journalists of the latter half of the 20th century.)

So, is he right? Is there really no more honest, articulate conservative journalism?

http://www.thenation.com/article/180049/there-are-no-more-honest-conservatives-so-stop-looking-one

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Is there any journalist on the right who will actually have conservative support while being honest and/or non bias?

You can ask the same for any journalist on the left, but the liberal tree seems to have plenty of branches from it's tree. The conservatives seem to only have the "right" and the "extreme right" which many times is hard to tell apart.

3. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I agree with the writer. The right has officially went off the deep end. It's very difficult to find an honest conervative because often times facts don't work in their favor. When facts don't work in their favor, they lie and distract. It's now gotten to the point where they have to lie 99% of the time because if they didn't they'd have nothing to say.

4. FreemanW macrumors 6502

The "Conservative" "Right-Wing" is this country has gone clean 'round the bend. They continually engage in hyperbole, distortion, and lies, that comfortably fit into the definition of insanity on any day of the week.

. . . . and that is when they're tempering themselves.

They are adjectively, thoroughly divorced from facts and reality.

5. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

The right wing reporters have fallen off the deep end and are not really conservative in terms of the original definition but a circus. Sometimes guys like Beck or Rush get it right but the main focus anymore is about smearing liberals. There are some leftists, to be fair, who have done this but the bad journalism awards belong mostly on the right.

6. Keukasmallie macrumors regular

Keukasmallie

Just what are the criteria for a "good" conservative journalist?

How 'bout always agrees with Democratic Congressional leaders;
    Believes Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi have the good of the country at heart;
    Never questions a decision of the current POTUS;
    and....?

7. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I would start with ones that honestly look at data and facts to arrive at conclusions instead of sticking to talking points or try to cherry pick data to fit their world view…

…I can't name any either.

P-Worm

8. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Every media outlet (radio, television, print) deals with that same problem. While the outlet may lean one way or the other they want to try and have some opposing viewpoints. I don't watch a lot of television news but there is a news program on Fox News that I like. One of the reasons that I like it is that they have added a liberal to the mix. It's called "The Five" and it is on during my commute (also on XM Fox News channel). I think that without Bob Beckel, I wouldn't like the show as much. They need that opposing viewpoint to make the conversation interesting. He also doesn't really care who he offends.

I'm at least open minded enough that I can name a liberal person in the media that I like.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The Five. LOL. Probably the best example of low expectations.

I think Jon Stewart said it well.

The biggest problem with the denizens of BS mountain is they act like their **** doesn't stink. If they have success, they built it. If they failed, the government ruined it for them. If they get a break, they deserved it. If you got a break, it's a handout and an entitlement. It's a baffling, willfully blind cognitive dissonance.​

10. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

So, who are some conservative journalists who "honestly look at data and facts to arrive at conclusions"?

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

same is asked of the liberals by conservatives.

everyone looks at data & facts in their own biased way.

12. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

When it comes to issues like climate change, this is certainly not the case. Conservatives tow the party line even in the face of massive evidence and agreement in the scientific community.

The conservative view on quantitative easing, inflation, and austerity also flies against the face of evidence and firmly grounded economics understanding. In a case of high unemployment, the economic consensus ever since the Great Depression was for massive government stimulus to get things rolling again and that doing things like cutting the welfare state causes more harm to the economy. Conservatives completely ignored this and tried to slash things such as food stamps which is a completely unconventional approach to the problem that only fringe economists would agree with. Further, conservatives have been warning about runaway inflation any day now for the past five years. Even when inflation has remained near zero for this long, they refuse to accept the evidence and admit they were wrong.

This is not equivalent on the left side of the political spectrum. New evidence suggesting that one's model may be wrong is actually considered instead of dismissed outright. In many ways, modern conservatism has become a religion where evidence doesn't have an impact on ideas.

This is not a case of "both sides do it equally."

P-Worm

13. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Is it April 1st?

It must be because the right wing journalism has nothing on the left. I listen to NPR, and Fox News on the radio. And CNN and MSNBC (mostly CNN) on the TV. The thing is the right will admit that fox leans to the right, but the left won't admit that NPR, CNN etc lean to the left. You want to talk about party honesty with this president in office, and just after he released 5 terrorists? Timing couldn't be worse for you guys. Shocked CNN even covered this, because NPR and CNN like to leave out anything that shows Obama in a bad light.

----------

Same could be said for liberal journalists.

14. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

CNN and NPR are frequently critical of Obama (NSA, ACA rollout, VA scandal, Drones…). Just because they aren't as critical as Fox News doesn't make these agencies "Left leaning." In fact, I would go as far as to say they give crazy right-wingers too much say in matters when fact contradict the viewpoint out of the misguided notion that they need to be "fair."

Climate change is an example here. CNN or NPR will report on some new scientific study and then say "…but Republican so-and-so disagrees saying…" This is bad journalism because it doesn't matter what someone who isn't qualified (not a scientist) to speak on a subject think about said subject just because they are "from the other side."

Calling CNN or NPR left leaning is pretty crazy. I would accept msNBC or shows like Sam Seder's The Majority Report as examples of left leaning journalism, but CNN and NPR are, if anything, center-right.

P-Worm

15. chown33 macrumors 604

Perspective depends on where one is sitting.

For someone sitting on the far right, everyone to his/her left is left-leaning. From moderate right, to centrist, to moderate-left, and radical left-winger. They're all varying degrees of left-leaning, from that perspective.

This isn't an attack on the right. It's a simple observation. The same is true for any other extreme position. To a radical left-winger, NPR is right-leaning.

16. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

:D:D:D Is good joke, that. Honest journalism.:D:D:D

Grab your lantern and follow Diogenes in his search for an honest man.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Every journalist has an opinion and everything he writes will be skewed towards his view, whether conservative or liberal.

17. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I work in media, and the common thing we hear is how left of center the print media is...

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/02/mitt-romney-climate-change_n_2068608.html

19. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

You're 100% full of crap. NPR news programs do NOT lean..

I dare you to listen to Morning Edition or All Things Considered and find left-leaning bias, or any bias, for that matter.

20. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

NPR has leaned left quite often. They know that their continued funding relies upon it.

21. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

[Citation Needed]

22. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Isn't the very nature of "conservative journalist" or "liberal journalist" loaded with the assumption that they are going to have a partisan slant to their views?

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

There it is.

Very little journalism comes from a vested interest in the current narrative as sold by your average politico.

Instead, a given journalist should be interested in truth and in the complexity of human stories.

I'm a little less enthused about active searching for "opposing viewpoints" first because it's structured in a false dichotomy of sides. Instead, I like seeing staffs where there's a complexity of opinion and the reporters are more interested in breaking news than building up a particular narrative.

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Mara Liasson would disagree with you. Covering the 2004, 2008, and 2012 Republican National Conventions disagree with your statement.

But I'll defer to lannister80's post. Citation, please.

BL.