Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
iP4 running 4.1 with a baseband of 1.59.00 jailbroken with Pwnage - all blobs saved since 4.0.1. Phone is not unlocked as I had battery issues with the early version of ultrasn0w and just use my iP3 (still running 3.0.1) when overseas.

With jailbreakme.com back up and running, is it time for me to upgrade to iOS 4.3.3 AND upgrade the Baseband so I don't encounter the MMS, VVM, and single signal bar issues? Kind of prefer the ease and options of Pwnage.

I'm figuring I'll gain some new features (honestly don't know if I actually crave them [am I really gaining a lot?]), be able to update a few apps that require 4.2, and only be one rev down when iOS5 is released.

Many thanks.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
If you want to upgrade the baseband, just restore to 4.3.3 with iTunes and then jailbreak with either JBme or Redsn0w.

Honestly though, if you are considering throwing away your unlock-ability, you should sell your iPhone on Craigslist/Kijiji/eBay and then go buy a used iPhone 4 for $400. You will probably pocket 100-125 dollars.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Thanks for the response, awadeee. I'll keep the unlock then.

So if you were in my shoes, what would you do? Stay where I am? Upgrade to 4.2.1? Upgrade to 4.3.3?

Armeniandave

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
San Diego
I had the same dilemma. In the end I just upgraded to the latest and lost the 1.59 baseband. It wasn't worth the hassle of selling it and getting another phone for $100 profit. I've dropped way less calls with the newer baseband also so I guess that's a bonus.

If you want to keep your baseband then don't go above 4.21 or you'll have the issues your talking about.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Thanks for the response, awadeee. I'll keep the unlock then.

So if you were in my shoes, what would you do? Stay where I am? Upgrade to 4.2.1? Upgrade to 4.3.3?

I would just stay where you are, unless you want to experience VVM and MMS issues.

If you want to keep your baseband then don't go above 4.21 or you'll have the issues your talking about.

I don't know if you're suggesting that he go to 4.2.1, or simply stating that anything above 4.2.1 is going to experience the issues, but I just wanted to point out that without SHSH blobs, he will not be able to go to 4.2.1 and will have to update to 4.3.3. :D

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I would suggest if you really want to go up to 4.3.3 to use pwnage or TU to save your unlockable baseband.
It will be well worth it if you decide to sell it later.
That's what I did with my i4.
You will have to install ultrasnow once you're on 4.3.3 with 01.59.00 in order to get the signal bars displaying right. If you have any issues with VV or MMS all you gotta do is pop out your sim tray and stick it back in.
They should work fine after that.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
I would suggest if you really want to go up to 4.3.3 to use pwnage or TU to save your unlockable baseband.
It will be well worth it if you decide to sell it later.
That's what I did with my i4.
You will have to install ultrasnow once you're on 4.3.3 with 01.59.00 in order to get the signal bars displaying right. If you have any issues with VV or MMS all you gotta do is pop out your sim tray and stick it back in.
They should work fine after that.

Is the bump from 4.1 to 4.3.3 worth it for the features gained? Have you personally had issues with the VVM and MMS where the tray had to be ejected?

Thanks, Applejuiced! Always appreciate your insight.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Is the bump from 4.1 to 4.3.3 worth it for the features gained? Have you personally had issues with the VVM and MMS where the tray had to be ejected?

I didn't really notice a whole lot of difference between 4.1 and 4.2.1 and 4.3.3. Personal hotspot being the only thing I've really noticed from 4.3.3. And the double vibrate for a text message. :D

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I didn't really notice a whole lot of difference between 4.1 and 4.2.1 and 4.3.3. Personal hotspot being the only thing I've really noticed from 4.3.3. And the double vibrate for a text message. :D

I agree.
Personal hotspot was worth it to me.
I had the mms and vv issues a few times but the sim tray pop got the job done.

OasisNYK

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2004
I agree.
Personal hotspot was worth it to me.
I had the mms and vv issues a few times but the sim tray pop got the job done.

What do you need personal hotspot for if you are using mywi or some other tethering app?

I am still on 4.1 with 1.59 baseband and I am wondering if I should make the jump to 4.3.3 or not.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
What do you need personal hotspot for if you are using mywi or some other tethering app?

I am still on 4.1 with 1.59 baseband and I am wondering if I should make the jump to 4.3.3 or not.

Infastruction tethering is better than adhoc and supports every wifi enabled device when tethering. Besides that there wasn't much more that excited me either.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada

Just stick with 4.1. The tethering apps you can get from Cydia are better than the native Personal Hotspot anyway.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
In reading the Release Notes, is Safari THAT much faster in 4.3.3?

Also, does TetherMe work fine with 4.1? It's still the better option to MyWi (never upgraded to 4.0), correct? If so, I probably have no need for the Hotspot feature and can simply stay where I'm at and see what happens with iOS 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.