Time to Vent: AT&T billing address change woes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DeaconGraves, Sep 14, 2012.

1. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

So, like a lot of people on this site, I was very excited about the pre-order launch of the iPhone 5 last night.

Unfortunately, I've stumbled across an issue with my billing address. I moved from Austin to Dallas a few years ago, and while moving signed up with AT&T Uverse. Seeing that it would make things easier I went ahead and combined by Uverse bill with my wireless bill.

This has now created an interesting conflict. Uverse has my current address on file with my billing address, while the phone has my old Austin billing address (meaning that, if I were to pre-order an iPhone today, it would get shipped to Austin).

Realizing that this might be a problem, I got online a few days ago to change the address. While an error message flashed when I submitted the new address, I received a text from AT&T a few seconds later saying my address had changed, so I thought all was well (I was wrong).

Flash forward to last night, and I'm in the weeds. Cannot order the phone from either AT&T or Apple because it will be shipped to Austin. And the online form continues to give me error messages when I try to change my address, so I can't update it to proceed. After about an hour of trying, I give up and go to bed.

I get up this morning and see that AT&T is still saying iPhone preorders will be delivered next Friday. Skeptical, but figure I might as well give it another shot. This time I call up AT&T. First call: takes forever, but they say they got my address changed. But it still hasn't changed. Second call: operator punts me to Uverse, which results in me getting completely disconnected. Third call: says the changes goes through (and I even get a text) but the website still shows my Austin billing adress.

So year, utterly frustrated and defeated. This close to jumping to Verizon but waiting until I've got a bit of a cooler head. Changing a billing address should not be this difficult, especially since I'm just trying to change it to another address already on the account.

So I guess I'll just wait for the reviews to come out and see what people actually think about the phone before making my purchase. :(

2. NightCastle macrumors member

I came across that my billing address (home address) was being used for both billing and shipping despite my default shipping address being my work address. My apartment complex refuses to accept packages. So, I verified my default shipping address and tried to place the order again (this was at approx. 3:15 AM Eastern) and it still reflected my billing address. I placed the order anyway having seen that other orders once processed would allow for address changes (both billing and shipping). At 9:30ish this morning the order went into a state of "Processing" and I was able to change the address and got and e-mail about 15 minutes later confirming the change to the order. so, for future reference, place the order even if the information is wrong and change it once the order in the state of "Processing".

3. DeaconGraves thread starter macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Yeah I saw people mentioning that last night but just didn't want to risk it in case that was some kind of a bug. At least in your cse, if it ended up shipping to your apartment, it would just bounce back to FedEx (or Apple) if you weren't there. Since I have no access to the Austin address anymore I didn't want to risk accidentally gifting someone an iPhone. :D

4. NightCastle macrumors member

Understandable.