TimeCapsule Hard Drive Broke - Can I Resync iPhone music to MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by ghileman, Sep 29, 2010.

1. ghileman macrumors regular

As luck would have it right after transferring my entire iTunes music collection to my Time Capsule *and* importing 150 of my 300 CDs to TimeCapsule, my TC hard drive broke.

(btw, I have a separate question in peripherals on whether I should replace the TC in the U.S. or London, where I'm moving for the next 3-4 years.)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1022618

I'm covered under AppleCare and will get a new Time Capsule. But my non-CD music collection is now housed solely on my iPhone. Nearly all of it was acquired outside of iTunes (e.g, ripping CDs which I no longer have).

Is there a way to resync the music collection back to my laptop? I've unchecked music syncing in iTunes for now as I get a warning message saying that if I do sync music I'll lose all the music on the iPhone.

Thanks.

2. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Time capsule is meant to be a backup drive...Did you delete all your music off your laptop as soon as it was on your TC?

There are many programs that will copy music off your iphone or ipod to hard drive. google it, very easy and quick to do. I'd use your next TC as intended!

3. ghileman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip and yes, that's exactly what I did. Macbook Air has a tiny hard drive and I was running out of space. I will need to buy another 1TB hard drive to backup my TC going forward!

4. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Ah, the air..yes and hard to upgrade to a bigger drive if i remember right. its unfortunate but yeah if its going to be a storage drive then you should back the storage drive too.

I'd back up your music off your iphone ASAP. One cant have enough backups.

5. ghileman thread starter macrumors regular

6. ghileman thread starter macrumors regular

btw...

apologies, looks like i accidentally posted in the wrong sub forum (should have been in trouble shooting). saw the "3GS" and went here.

7. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram