Tim's "Double Down" on Secrecy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ay_Zimmy, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Ay_Zimmy macrumors 6502

Ok, so we all know that Tim Cook made that statement initially before all the leaks started emerging. A lot of people believe in the "controlled" leaks of the iPhone. We are all expecting an iPhone to be coming out around the fall time, so maybe these leaks will keep us busy while the iOS 6 is being completed as well. The secrecy could be behind other products, like the lightly talked about iPad Mini, and possibly a HDTV that they are working on. This way they could get that boom they got with the iPhone and the smartphone industry. Imagine the Television market changes from an Apple HDTV just like the iPhone did to the cell phone industry? :eek:

I'm thinking we've all seen what the iPhone is going to be, because this will keep us sidetracked from everything else that they may be working on at :apple:.

2. ilpadrino6 macrumors member

This is very true, I mean we all know they are going to release a new iPhone every year until they don't. with all these iPhone leaks keeping us busy, they are distracting us with real new products they may have in the works

3. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I think everyone is taking Tim's secrecy comment way too seriously. The event will be the new iPhone, which will look like what the leaks have shown us. It will be no different than when everyone thought the iPhone 4 was a decoy for something else, and we ended up getting the iPhone 4. Or last year when we kept getting leaked parts that were the iPhone 4S, and everyone cried fake and said it was a controlled leak to hide the "real" new iPhone. But the leaked parts were what we got, and it was the iPhone 4S. This new leaked iPhone is a more radical redesign than what the 4S was, so why wouldn't it be legit?

The event will easily be consumed by just the newly designed iPhone, iOS 6, updated iPods, and maybe some iTunes stuff. Once they go on about the new 4" screen, the improved camera(s), the faster CPU, the increased RAM, the improved GPU, the new dock connector and what new improved stuff it offers (this alone will be a big part of the presentation I think), the new speakers maybe, and the repositioned headphone jack, the event will be halfway over. Not to mention they will go on about features in ios 6 that will be new iPhone only and make you want to upgrade. These could be anything, but if I had to guess it could be NFC related and something to do with that hideous two toned backplate.

Throw in the sales numbers bragging at the beginning, the new iPhone pricing and availability at the end, and the updated iPods and left over stuff, and that's a whole event.

I don't foresee them jamming an iPad Mini or secret new product in there. If any even exist. I'm still not sold on them making a 7.85" iPad. That rumor has been around since the first iPad.

4. specik macrumors 6502

specik

I'm posting this reply from deep underground... I'm in an area of the Apple Campus called "The Bunker". It is approximately 20 stories beneath 1 Infinite Loop. Only a few people within Apple know of this place.

This is where all of Apple's ultra-secret experimental projects are kept and developed. There are accompanying dorms so that the employees that work here do not have to go up to surface. Total isolation from the outside world is a result of the "double down" policy.

I have seen many things down here. One of them being the iPhone 5. The "leaks" you have seen are accurate.... the only thing not shown in the leaks is the vial of something dubbed "The iVirus" contained within each phone. Apple has a remote trigger that will shatter this vial, releasing the toxin into the air.

This toxin has adverse effects on biological matter. The skin begins to swell. Continuing onward, the infected skin actively begins to decompose, despite the victim remaining alive - flesh may fall off entirely as part of autoamputation. People normally complain of a terrible itch or discomfort. The body may exhibit Pallor mortis, the end of capillary circulation, as suggested by Thomas' description as appearing "like the walking dead".

5. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Apple is likely more concerned about keeping the lid on "the next thing" than the next iteration of something already out there.

Still, someone's done a great job, intentionally or not, in persuading the blogosphere to focus on the cosmetics of the next iPhone.

Shock and awe over the internals (hardware or otherwise) still seem possible for those who like keynote surprises.

6. pdutta2000 macrumors regular

After seeing all these leaks I'm finally convinced that we have seen the new iPhone and I like it. I don't love it but it's better than the 4S and I'll be a buyer. That being said I actually think the leaks are very intentional from the suppliers. I think they are testing Tim Cook to see what he will do now that he is CEO. They didn't dare test Steve Jobs for fear of never doing business with Apple again but Tim Cook isn't Steve Jobs and I think the suppliers want to see if they can push him around. This is high stakes business and no response from Tim Cook on these leaks might also mean better rates for the next order. Everyone knows Apple used its cash stockpile to push suppliers around but the King is dead. How Tim Cook responds will give all of us a glimpse into Apples future.

7. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Love it. :D

8. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I agree with the OP. I have been thinking about this myself and I have been surprised we haven't seen anything about the iPad mini. I am very intrigued by the iPad mini and getting excited by the fact that we haven't seen ANYTHING about it. I'm really hoping this is the big surprise for the September media event. Could be Tim's first big "one more thing."

9. Ay_Zimmy thread starter macrumors 6502

I said I thought the new iPhone was real. But it was to keep us side tracked from the rest of the company, because in their eyes we all knew a new iPhone was coming regardless.. But what about other products they are working on? You know they are..

10. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

There are fan sites that stand to make a lot of money through views if they are showcasing new stuff Apple is pushing out. I don't think the iPhone is going to cause people to pay any less attention to the possible other things Apple have up their sleeves. Not enough to matter anyway.

"Doubling down on secrecy" is just something sexy to say to your investors. Product leaks hurt sales of current product, and of course there is the "who copied who" debacle as well, so they want everyone feeling like they have everything tightly under wraps.

11. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Guess this is Tims "big test". We'll see what kind of "secure" leader he is.

If this IS the iphone (the "tall" version), he failed. If not, he da man! (as long as it isnt a iPhone 4S't')......

Regardless, It will be interesting.

I want to feel some excitement this time! I miss that! Come on Tim!
    Dont leave me flat like last time.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Correction. He actually made the statement after the initial leak happened, so he knew it was out and everyone would pile on it.

13. Indy21 macrumors 6502

And then Mila Jokovich (slaughtered her name I'm sure of it) from the Resident Evil series comes and kills us all!

LoL

14. Ay_Zimmy thread starter macrumors 6502

This is a good point, and it's a great thing to say, but it doesn't mean it wasn't a true statement. I'm just saying I think Apple is working on other products anyways, and the iPhone helps draw much attention away from other products

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Well, all they said was "doubling down". That's the thing, there is no real quantification here. I am sure it IS a true statement, but one that is designed to sound more grand than it actually is. That's what I mean by "nice thing to say". So they added some security measures, made it sound like they made huge changes, and everyone is happy. Apple, as a company, is under the microscope and has been for years now. News sites report every possible tidbit of information, be that from the iPhone, iPad, macs, etc. It's all being heavily watched.

16. HKPDW macrumors member

If Timmy didn't show his cards when he did, the Galaxy S III would have
    PHP:
    sold far more units than it has. He had to get the general appearance and release date out there to stem the defections...