Tiny, insignificant surface scratches on iPhone 5 display

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bacong, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

:(

Any way to get these out? You can't tell when the screen's on, and you have to hold it under light at an angle to see them. But it's disappointing that they're there. I take good care of my things (as everyone says probably) so it's a little disheartening.

All in all not a big deal, but still I'd like to get rid of these if I can.

Also, is it the oleophobic coating that scratches this easily?

2. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

I saw it somewhere before about how to remove light scratch on glass by polishing it...never tried it tho..

3. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

I think everyone gets super protective and anal about any issues with new things when they get them. I certainly do. But eventually I get over it because I realize that wear is normal.

A phone is only useful with its screen turned on, and since you can't see them when you're using the phone does it really matter? I know in the back of your mind you'll know they are there, but it's just something insignificant in terms of the usability of the phone and life itself.

4. Bacong thread starter macrumors 68000

Bacong

not sure if you read the rest of my post where I said it wasn't really a big deal :eek:

5. vistadude macrumors 65816

I think a screen protector will hide tiny scratches. Unfortunately, screen protectors themselves scratch pretty easily.

6. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

I did read it. I wasn't trying to be rude or anything. Just wanted to send some chill vibes your way.

7. Bacong thread starter macrumors 68000

Bacong

I am chill, bruh.

8. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Let's be friends. :cool:

9. Bacong thread starter macrumors 68000

Bacong

:p

10. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

I've found screen protectors to be a far worse experience than hairline scratches.

11. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

It's the oleo phobic coating that is scratched. It's not nearly as hard as glass and will get damaged by all sorts of stuff. Without it, your screen wouldn't feel so slick.

12. AFDoc macrumors 68030

It is obviously a big enough deal to waste time making a thread about it..... Put a screen protector on and they will be hidden.

13. Davejprince macrumors regular

Try putting a screen protector on your screen protector.

14. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Youll probably end up damaging the phone more by trying to take them out rather than just leave them. Besides, there are more important things to worry about!

15. tekkifi macrumors member

Ya, the only thing I could suggest is to get a nice screen shield on there (something like the GLAS.t) that may limit their visibility and prevent more in the future. :)

16. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Unfortunately that doesn't mean anything with regard to scratches. All it takes is a speck of material harder than the screen (or coating) to cause a scratch. If you want to avoid scratches the only option is to use a screen protector. They can scratch as well but they're sacrificial parts and easily replaced.

As stated above, you're likely to just cause more damage by attempting to remove scratches (which you describe as not a big deal).

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

So you take care of your things, congratulations. Please show me something that you use every day and handle over 50 times in that time period that's flawless. It's cool, I can wait.

18. Bacong thread starter macrumors 68000

Bacong

19. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

This.