Tip Etiquette

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by callmemike20, Jul 4, 2011.

1. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I was watching Curb Your Enthusiasm this morning and there was much discussion about tips. What kind of tip rules do you all follow when it comes to certain services (not just food)?

-Restaurant
    -Bar
    -Food delivery
    -Haircut
    -Moving services
    -Repair technicians
    -Valet parking
    -etc.

For myself, I usually tip 20-25% with a minimum of $5 for most services.

The cable and internet technicians had to come to my house plenty of times in the past and there is always an awkward moment where it becomes obvious that they are expecting a tip. I refuse to tip them because the service is never actually fixed I am being inconvenienced by their service being down in the first place.

I'm a little lost of the etiquette regarding movers. I always offer them water and help them out as much as possible, but what's the rule on tips?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I guess this is country specific. Here in Finland, we don't tip much. Even in restaurants, it's quite rare and mainly done in more expensive restaurants (even then, you leave like 2€). If I was a mover, I wouldn't expect any tip at all, though I have heard it's different in the US.

3. johneaston macrumors regular

4. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I hope you never, ever go out to eat in a restaurant. Ever.

6. johneaston macrumors regular

No please don't - this is a forum not a library.

We should be able to 'chat' without the forum miserys telling us to seach and read instead.

I eat in a restaurant a couple of times a week. And all the people who work there are paid a salary and shouldn't expect me to tip them.

No-one has ever tipped me in my line of work.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Nah, if anything I'd merge the threads or leave this by itself.

Just recalled a thread on it and seeing as how you were looking for others opinions, I knew it would have alot in there:)

My issue with tipping is the mentality of it being a given in the serving industry

Poor service = no tip
    Decent Service = 10%
    Great = 20%

Those that say stay in if you won't tip, I say no. If you want the tip, earn it. Not a terribly hard concept

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I agree. I think it's good to note if there is already an existing thread but it doesn't automatically mean that the "duplicate" should be deleted or merged (and I don't think dukebound85 meant that this should be deleted). In this case, the original thread is a few years old and OP is asking about specific case of tipping in this thread.

Let the discussion flow, this is a good topic :)

9. soco macrumors 68030

soco

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I take it you never tip Mr. Pink;)

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well amount tip is relative to country. As a general rule 15%.
    Good server up it to 20%.

Piss me off and watch your tip drop. 2 places piss me pretty badly. One the server choose to hit on the hostess and complete failed to provide any services my GF and I. I think I tip 2 bucks on a 40 buck meal because I knew the tips were pooled and one of the other servers covered his sorry ass at the end.

The other place I wanted to leave 0.01 as the tip to prove I thought about it and was not being cheap but my GF would not let me and made me leave 0. I was pretty pissed and in hind sight wished I ask to speak to the manager but I just wanted to get out of there because I was PISSED and it takes a lot to get me that pissed. My GF at the time she was pushing me to get out of there because she knew I was holding it in.

I generally tip the person who cuts my hair.
    One place I go to all the time I generally leave a 10-20% tip even if it is take out because the owners are really cool and at this point know what my order is plus give me a hard time if I have not shown up in a week or 2.

12. aristobrat macrumors G5

That's not the usual experience in the US. People waiting tables usually make an hourly wage well below the hourly minimum wage (I think it's US$2.13/hour for waiters vs US$7.25/hour for other jobs). Working on a salary is almost unheard of, unless you're restaurant management.

What country do you live in? :eek:

13. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I want an answer to that question also...

In America, servers and bartenders live on tips.

14. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I envy the servers in that restaurant then. Must be nice knowing you are at least going to make enough to pay your rent when you go in to work.

Must be nice getting that pay check every week/two weeks.

That mentality starts with your government making minimum wage for servers $2.63/hr while everyone else gets $8.00/hr (those are the wages in MA, federal is 2.13/7.25 i believe). I don't know where that started, but I think it's ********. And many people don't understand it. They think that we get minimum like everyone else, and the tips are just bonus. They aren't.

My TIPS are my only pay check. I use them to pay rent, utilities, car, phone, food, and everything else. EVERYTHING. I get a pay check every two weeks for less than $20.

What happens is we have to report the tips we make to the IRS so we can be taxed on them. They take the taxes on your $2.63 and hour and the taxes on your tips and take that all out of your pay check. Usually, you break even, or get a small check. Sometimes, I get a pay check that's negative, meaning the taxes taken out were more than my hourly. Then that amount comes out of my next pay check. My checks average about $20 every two weeks, and the most I EVER made on a check was $45. Keep in mind that these checks are for a two week period for between 70-80 hours worked.

Now, the law says that we have to report for tips at least 12% of our total sales. Keep in mind also, that after I tip out the bartenders 10% and the bus boys 10%, I am leaving with even less money. So even if I got 20% on EVERY table, I would only end up leaving with 16%.

Now I know I am a pretty good server, not like those old ladies or incompetent ones who don't care or don't have a clue, but on average I still only get 15%. That means I am walking out with around 12%. Trust me, it is VERY difficult to live on this, especially when it gets slow. I just worked a 6 hour shift on my holiday.. I don't work near the water, so it's the slow season, and the holiday makes it even worse. I was one of two servers on, and we saw five tables all day. I ended up walking out today with $15. Even if you add in the $2.63 an hour (and don't forget to take out taxes), I'm not even close to minimum wage.

Basically, it comes down to the fact that you are paying for the service of being served in the restaurant. If you don't like to tip, then go to Mcdonalds or another fast food place where you serve yourself. Don't go in to a fancy restaurant and expect a server to serve you for free, because that is essentially what they are doing when you leave no tip.

agree with this post. It's a lot different in Europe in the rest of the world, but in the US it has pretty much become a necessity. blame the cheap ass restaurant owners and managers who try to nickel and dime everyone, not the waiters who are struggling to get by.

15. johneaston macrumors regular

England.

If there's a minimum wage (enforced I assume) how can someone earn less than the minimum wage?

In my opinion, expecting customers to tip should not be an excuse for the proprietor to pay poor salaries to their employees.

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Makes sense then.

We make less than minimum wage because there is a separate minimum wage for "tipped" employees.

And I agree with your opinion. But unfortunately this country is run by a bunch of greedy capitalist pigs who don't.

Remember this if you come visit us across the pond though...you don't want to be one of the "non-tipping foreigners"... most servers really don't like them.

17. johneaston macrumors regular

How odd that the entire popluation of the US actively supports hundreds of thousands of people being paid below the minimum wage.

In the UK the minimum wage is the minimum wage.

18. aristobrat macrumors G5

The end result is that if tipped properly, these hundreds of thousands of people end up making significantly more than the minimum wage. Thus the initial "WTF" when you said you don't tip.

19. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

While tipping here is very different than in the U.S. (similar to how Hellhammer said about Finland) that's exactly how I tip when I visit. I realize that in the U.S. waiters and waitresses get paid less than minimum wage and count on tips to have a livable wage. That being said, if I truly get bad service I won't tip at all.

20. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I am a generous tipper as long as the service is excellent.
    If my food is wrong I don't hold the cook accountable I hold the server.
    Too many times I have a steak cooked wrong and not see the sever for we'll over 5 minutes.
    The server is working for a tip, in my eyes. If they don't show up and provide a service I don't feel obligated to tip well.
    My brother and I went out the other night, the kid was great, attentive, courteous, and timely. The $55 bar tab yielded him a $25 tip.
    The waitress that took 11 minutes to even acknowledge us, over 25 minutes to take our order and well over 30 minutes to bring us the bill did not yield such a sweet tip.
    Cable repair guys and delivery guys I will tip in the amount of a lunch or if it's a quick service $5 for coffee and a donut.

21. zioxide, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011

zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I know some servers in the right restaurants who make upwards of $1000 a week. But that is working 50 hours a week, open to close Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at places along the beach. But remember they ONLY make this Memorial day to Labor day. When it's not summer, they are lucky to pull $300 a week.

That said, the average server in an average restaurant makes around $400 or so for a 40 hour week. This isnt "significantly" more than minimum wage... it's a little bit higher, but still only around 10 bucks an hour. And barely $20,000 a year. That can be extremely tough to live on when you have student loans, are trying to support a family, etc.

That is the wrong attitude. Your server doesn't cook the food.. they didn't screw up. The cook in the kitchen gets paid hourly, half the time they don't even give a ****. Don't penalize your server JUST because your food is wrong.

This is why I bolded "just" in my above statement. That server ****ed up. You are supposed to go back and check on the food within 2 minutes or 2 bites. If they didn't, then they deserve no tip. But if the server makes every effort to try to get the food correct, and its just the kitchen's fault, please don't penalize your server.

sounds about right.

these guys all get paid salary/hourly. they dont need tips. it's just a bonus for them.

22. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

So true. A friend convincingly made the case to me that you shouldn't go to a restaurant unless you can afford to give 20% at it - pick a cheaper one instead. Since then, I've given 20% pretty much across the board unless service has been absolutely dismal.

For example, a server recently didn't pay attention and did the exact opposite of what I asked him to (serious since I'm pretty allergic), but I left a short note with the bill so he could rectify it in the future and gave 15% instead. I caught it in time, and as not-fun as it would have been for me to get sick, his right to a living wage trumps me being annoyed.

Also curious to hear your take on a different situation, zioxide - another place I went to not too long ago had a mandatory "service charge" of 18% for everyone, they wouldn't take more (or less, presumably). They had a whole manifesto on their website about how staff could focus on working efficiently as a team instead of fearing for their tips. As expected some of their online reviews were scathing, claiming it bred mediocre service. Do you think something like this should be applied across the board? Or reform of the industry so you at least get minimum wage?

23. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

IMHO, that is wrong. You don't know what caused the food to come out wrong. Did the waiter/ess write it down incorrectly? Did the chef just put out the food normally out of habit? You just don't know what caused your food to come out wrong. To punish the waiter/ess for it is wrong unless they did nothing about it/had the wrong attitude when you pointed out the mistake.

Have you taken into account how busy the restaurant is at the time?

There are too many variables to your situations.

24. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I agree with the added gratuity in some situations, mostly either when being applied to large parties or parties using coupons. I'll address both.

For large parties, the tip can become a large amount really quick. If I do a party of 15, chances are their bill is going to be at least $300. 20% on that would be $60, which is a good chunk of change. Now what happens if the people are kind of cheap and think "there's no way I should be tipping my server $60" They go and leave $30, and while it's a good amount, it KILLS our pockets. Why?

Restaurants keep track of how many tables and how many heads each server waits on. They do that to try to keep it so everyone waits on about the same amount of people and hopefully make the same amount of money. The problem when you get a big party like that, and they only end up leaving 10%, is that I'm not getting counted for only half of those people. They don't give me more heads in my section because I got a bad tip on that table. I need that tip.. sometimes that big table could be my only one of the night. They are taking up multiple tables in my section, and tend to sit longer than smaller parties do too.

As far as the other case, with coupons, I think you need to add gratuity too. My restaurant ran coupons which were "Buy one entree, get the 2nd for $5". Entrees in my place are around $17-$19, so if a party of two uses a coupon, their bill goes from nearly $40 to around $25. When the parties get bigger (say a 6 top, and my restaurant lets you use more than one coupon), it gets worse. 6 entrees would normally produce a bill somewhere around $120, where you figure you are getting a tip in the $20-$25 range. But when they apply the coupons, the bill drops nearly $30 to around $90. Then the tip is going to be $15 to $20.

The problem here lies in the fact that 99% of people tip on the total AFTER the discount. Now, as a server, I have no problem with people wanting to save some money. In fact, if I really like a table, sometimes I will even buy them an app or give them a free dessert. Or I'll even give them a coupon. The problem is that when they tip on the total AFTER, they are costing me money. Instead of averaging $5 per head, I end up with $3. And like I said before, I'm not getting more heads in my section to make up for this. Then I can't fill my gas tank at the end of the week.

As long as you tip on the original amount, there's no issue, but since most people don't, that's why they add gratuity. My philosophy regarding coupons is different then the masses.. If I go out to eat and use a coupon, I tend to leave an even bigger tip because I am saving money on the bill. I'd rather that extra couple of bucks go to the server (who I know needs it) rather than the restaurant (who won't be hurting over it). But that might just be because I know how hard it is to survive just on tips.

I believe that the industry should be completely reformed. Get rid of the ******** "tipped" minimum wage and pay everyone the same minimum. The current system is just nickel and diming everyone. It's crap. But reforming something like this is A LOT easier said than done.