Tip: Swap your iPhone 4's back with an OEM white backplate instead of getting a case!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by wikoogle, Jul 6, 2010.

1. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

I wouldn't mind getting a bumper, but I hate that the bumper doesn't cover up the back of the phone and leaves the back exposed to scratches, cracking and other damage.

I also think the white iPhone looks hideous from the front, but gorgeous from behind, especially when it has a black bumper on it.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/27/white-iphone-4-early-diy-edition-with-a-touch-of-black/

"Replacing the back cover is hardly a challenge -- just remove the two screws at the bottom and then slide the cover up."

So I plan to use that same iPhone 4 OEM parts source engadget used to get the white backplate. And if the back ever gets cracked (or I need to return it to Apple for support), I can always put back the original black backplate on.

All the parts are only 380 yen = $56 dollars. Since all I want to order is the back plate, it should be considerably cheaper than $56.

Any suggestions/recommendations/problems with doing this?

Will it void the warranty? Does apple even have anyway to find out if you did this considering how easy it is to slide the back plate off and put it back on?

2. outphase macrumors 65816

You'll probably be voiding the warranty in the process.

3. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Does apple have any way to find out?

I hear that all you need to do is remove two screws to take off the back. I would save the original back in case the new back gets cracked, or I need to visit the apple store.

How can they void the warranty if they have no way of knowing that I ever did this mod?

Here is a link to engadet doing the same thing...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/27/white-iphone-4-early-diy-edition-with-a-touch-of-black/

Of course, I'll stop after replacing the back...

"Replacing the back cover is hardly a challenge -- just remove the two screws at the bottom and then slide the cover up, but to get to the front cover you'll need to take out most of the components. "

The front looks ugly anyways, where as the white back looks fantastic.

4. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Good luck with that.

5. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Yeah, instead of a knock off. I'm just going to use that source engadget used to get original OEM parts (or ones that look just like it).

All the parts are only 380 yen = $56 dollars.

Since all I want to order is the back plate, it should be considerably cheaper.

6. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Just wondering? But is there anyway at all for apple to find out you did this mod and void your warranty?

It seems all you need to do to swap the back is to unscrew two screws and slide it off.

So as long as you keep the original to put back on as needed, is there anyway for apple to find out?

7. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

the back plate is 800 yuan which is about 120USD and is not complete. there is no camera bezel. the complete rear cover from cnn.cn is 170USD plus shipping and that one comes complete. 380 yuan gets you the front lcd cover which is not complete either as it has no speaker grill etc.

Please do your research before claiming such nonsense...if it was so cheap everybody would do it! Even engadget tells you the pieces they got were not complete finished units and they had to scavenge parts from a broken rear cover to complete the install.

I will spend the $170 on a OEM complete rear white cover when it is available and hopefully cheaper.

8. pumperx macrumors newbie

Actually the white back plate is 1200 RMB instead of 800. That's almost $60 more. Ouch.