Tipping the Parcel Handler: Indicative of where you are on their route?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hummer, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

I was wondering if you have tipped your local FedEx or UPS employee in the past, does it mean they will be more likely to show up in your neck of the woods at their earliest convenience, rather than later in the day.

I ask this of course to try to estimate the point of time during the day I will receive my iPhone. I have work at Noon, and I would love to have it before I go in.

Also, in general, do you tip your package handlers?

2. jmo1116 macrumors regular

3. tjb1 macrumors 68000

UPS, Fed-Ex and USPS get paid more than enough to do there job...they dont need tipped.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm pretty sure their route is given to them. They don't pick what they deliver first. And no, I don't tip them.

5. tophat1 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yup, the route is given to them, optimized to save time (fewest lights and mostly right turns)

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Has no effect on their route. Fed ex and UPS tell them their route.
    A quick way to make sure you get on the morning route is have a neighborer who is always getting those 8AM packages delivered. Those control the route more than anything else.

7. saberahul macrumors 68040

Actually the routes are quite "optimal." As an Industrial Engineer, one of the most common jobs for people like me is in the field of logistics and supple chain, but this doesn't matter right now. Basically, companies like UPS and FedEx employ IE's to calculate the most efficient route that will save not only gas but also time and number of drivers. Tipping the driver wouldn't do much other than make him/her either happy or feel cheap (based on how much you tip them by). They aren't simply allowed to choose any random route to deliver the packages.

8. AML225 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

My UPS driver is not allowed to deviate from his route. You might be able to get ahold of the courier and pay extra to have a "by 10am" delivery or whatever FedEx calls it.