Tips on fixing the installation of my screen protector on the iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lsquare, Mar 26, 2012.

1. lsquare macrumors 6502

So I recently bought an iPad 2. I finally opened it up and installed it with a screen protector. The screen protector came with my Incipio Feather case. I'm pretty good installing screen protectors. Bubbles are never really my problem and today was no exception. Everything is almost perfect except for the fact that the screen protector doesn't adequately cover the entire screen. It's also a bit of a challenge to install a screen protector this big. What's bugging me is that the home button hole isn't perfect. While the screen protector isn't covering the home button and it is pressable, it looks a bit ugly as there's a bit of space between the right side of the home button and the screen protector. The left side doesn't have any space and it essentially hugs the border of the home button. What I would like to do is to shift the screen protector 1mm to the left. The only way that I can see myself doing this is to use a piece of tape and pull it out to start all over again. However, then I'm afraid dust will get into the screen and or screen protector. It does seem like a lot of effort for what should be a minor issue, but it's bugging me. As of now, there are no dust between the screen and the screen protector. Any tips on how to do this with the minimum amount of effort?

Thanks!

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Don't bother unless you have a replacement screen protector. You will get dust and bubbles under the current screen protector. The more you mess with an install the more trouble you'll have with it.

3. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Hold the iPad under water while you readjust the film. You shouldn't get any dust this way.

4. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

This will also fix the overheating issue on the new iPad.

5. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Excellent point.

6. trek360 macrumors 6502

I had to reapply my powersupport screen protector recently.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1347202&highlight=reapplying

Here's my advice:

1. If you can live with it as is, don't mess with it.
    Invariably the reapplication is never as smooth or clean. You could very easily trade one problem for another.

2. If you must move it, get some scotch tape and a microfiber cloth ready. Tear off a couple strips of tape and leave them handy so you can access them quickly if you do notice any dust.

3. Use a folded over piece of scotch tape on each side of the home button corners so you'll have better control of the protector as you lift it up and reapply it.

4. If you search the forum you will find other tips. Like letting hot water run in the bathroom and letting the steam help minimize dust. Or doing a wet install. There's more info on that in the thread above.

5. Be prepared for dust and lint and having to lift up the protector a few times to get the particles with the tape.

6. You can always buy a new screen protector if you don't like the outcome.

Good luck.

7. crazycanucks macrumors regular

:rolleyes: Make sure you put this smiley, some people will literally take your word and put the ipads under water. There are alot of dumb people in this world

8. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

after i messed up a 30 zaag one i decided to spend the $10 i think it was and have the geek squad at best buy do it.

no bubbles, and if it starts to come up on the edges it has a warrenty. couldnt be happier

9. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Top thread, I am going to make one in a minute about how to wear my socks tomorrow.

Seriously though, screen protectors are no different to anything in life, some you win, some you lose.

YOU LOSE! GOOD DAY SIR.

10. tzd macrumors newbie

Consider going without the screen protector. iPad's screen is not as easy to scratch as an iPhone if you have a cover on it, since you can't put it in your pocket or drop it as easily as an iPhone. I've used my iPad 2 for a year without screen protector and there's no scratch on it.

11. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

You're right, I decided to just leave it the way it is.