Tips on Getting No-Contract AT&T iPhone in NYC? + more questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stayblunted, Oct 9, 2012.

1. stayblunted macrumors member

How does availability look for the i5 right now, is it still limited in terms of stock? I'm looking to grab either a 16gb or 32gb At&t no contract model. I haven't had an iPhone since the 3G 8Gb with T-Mobile. I know it's possible to a get an unlocked iPhone straight out the Apple store or unlock via ebay, but I'm not too sure about buying from directly from At&t stores (I hear you just need to restore) or BB or RadioShack in that case. Do you think I should I make a reservation with Apple the night before? I plan to purchase on this Thursday.

My issue is with T-Mobile. Being that nano sims now are available in-store but the only way to get their $30 prepaid plan is online, I'm confused on whether I should purchase a nanosim after I get the phone or going online to get the plan with a regular sim.(which I would have to cut obviously)

Btw any top-rated cases out there? No otter box it's too bulky for my preference.

Lol I'm so sorry for the overwhelming post it's just been so long since I've had a iPhone I feel like you can never research enough. Thanks for reading and contributing.

2. PeterTran macrumors member

The availability of the i5 looks bleak as of right now, well thats the case on the west coast.I hear the east coast is faring better and there are actually some in stores. ATT stores don't sell unlocked ones at all. You have to be under contract with them to get one,even if its device only. You cannot reserve an i5 with apple unless you plan on opening a new plan with the big 3(ATT, Verizon, or Sprint).I also have the tmobile 30 monthly plan so i know. What i am doing is i am going to try to get an att iphone 5 16g full price, device only, unlocked from the apple store, cut my regular sim into a nano sim now and if i butcher it, i can just buy a nano sim from tmobile.

3. krnboy503 macrumors regular

You can pick it up at any apple store and purchase as device only for the 650, 750, 850 price point. My buddy with a tmobile line did this yesterday morning with no problem!

4. PeterTran macrumors member

can i ask where he got it?like west coast or east coast? and specifically which apple store