Tips on Selling my Macbook (and upgrading to the Aluminum one)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ai4281, Dec 19, 2008.

1. ai4281 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone.

I'm looking to sell my White Macbook (2.4Ghz) I bought in September for school, in order to buy the new 2.0Ghz Aluminum Macbook. I really want the graphic upgrade..

But I've already registered my Whitebook under my name for warranty. Will it be a problem if the Whitebook breaks down and the buyer takes it to the Apple Store? Is there a way to take my name off this product registration?

And also, do you think it's a worthy upgrade? Especially since my Macbook is pretty new...

Thanks.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The AppleCare plan is tied to the computer, not to your name. It will be up to whomever you sell the system to if they want to contact AppleCare over the phone and have the computer registration and the warranty switched over. In regards to the upgrade, the front-side bus on the newer MacBook is faster and you do have two video cards built in that you can switch between for battery life or better graphics. The multi-touch trackpad also includes a new 4-finger gesture. You do lose a FireWire port which could cause issues if you use iMovie with a DV camcorder or use Garageband with a FireWire audio interface. Also the screen has had many complaints due to its glare factor and if you use the system outdoors. I pass along this information not to dissuade you from your purchase, just so you know what you'll be getting with this trade-in.

3. jamin100 macrumors 6502

you would be better off keeping your tried and tested white macbook.
    Remember the aluminum ones are revision A products and there are loads of people who are having problems.

4. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Not exactly... the MB has only one video card (9400). You're thinking of the MBP.

In response to the OP, you have to ask yourself why you want to upgrade your machine. If your current MB does everything you need it to, then there is no real reason to upgrade. If you have no real justification for the upgrade, then once a new version/speed bump comes out, you'll probably get bored of the Alu MB anyway. Try to cut through the marketing ******** and buy according to your needs.

Also, concerning Rev. A products, that is a defunct argument. What is a consumer supposed to do? Wait until they *think* everything has been ironed out? If you need a computer, then go buy one. Every model will have it's own issues and if you're worried about repeated complaints, remember what website you're on... people come here to complain!

5. jshelton macrumors 6502a

I am in the same pickle my friend. I bought a 2.4 white MB in August. I am very happy with it but I can't help but long for the new aluminum beauty.
    I have almost convinced myself to keep this one until the 1 yr warranty expires and then trade. I have a bigger processer now and I feel like $1299 is way too much for the new low end model.

I ordered a wireless keyboard and mStand. That will help keep this one looking new (palmrests and keys) until I sell it next summer. Good luck with your decision.

6. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

I am having the same dilemma. I really would like the 2.4 alu. macbook, however I currently have a 2.4 with close to the same specs so I don't see a huge difference between the two systems for the type of stuff I use them for. However I would like to upgrade, is there still a large market out there for the White Books as well?

7. ai4281 thread starter macrumors newbie

OP here.

I guess the reason I want to upgrade is mainly for the performance boost of the new Nvidia card, and more solid construction.

I really want to play some newer games and watch movies in HD. And I can't help but notice the lags in some graphic intensive programs I run. I can't upgrade to MBP, because I'm a student and it's out of my budget range. And also my plastic macbook is creaking and bending in many places, so I want the new solid aluminum construction.

And the main reason I've chosen this time for selling is because many people are looking for used Macbooks as Christmas presents. I've had 4 or 5 people reply to my craigslist posting in less than 24 hours. I figured, this time would be a good time to sell my Macbook at a decent resale value, since the demand is high.

To sum it up, I like the new features, and the timing is good right now to sell. And I think the new Nvidia chipset is worth a couple hundred bucks more.. (some buyers are willing to buy my Macbook for $1400!!)

I guess I've made my decision. I'm gonna try my best to sell this, but if I can't, I'll still be happy.

8. JediMeister macrumors 68040

@ nope7308: Oops, my bad...you're right, I was thinking about the MacBook Pro...
    Sorry I don't have anything else to add to the discussion at this point.

9. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Well, OP, it sounds like you have some justifiable reasons for selling your MB. This probably is the best time to put it up for sale, so best of luck!

10. ktutt macrumors newbie

i want to upgrade too..

i don't know about all that fancy stuff, but i do know i love my macbook minus the fact that the palmrest has broken twice because of the magnetic strips and I have already had to have that along with my board replaced n i bought it last april..so i just want the aluminum one b/c it'll be more sturdy...that's the ONLY thing i liked about the dell i had originally. so if there's a way for you to sell yours and get the aluminum one i say go for it!!!!

11. philosopherdog macrumors 6502

philosopherdog

You can get a small fortune if you sell the old one. Why not upgrade if that's what you want? As for these machines having tons of problems: I don't think that's quite right. Some people were having a few problems at the beginning, but most of these issues seem to have been cleared up. This machine also runs considerably cooler, and it's lighter, better display, better build quality overall. You will lose very little of the original value of the other one if you try to sell it.

12. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

What do you want to do with the computer? If you feel like playing some games then this computer may be better, but still... Macs aren't gaming computers so don't expect lots of titles... but the performance should be fine for games like Sims 2, Need for Speed, etc.
    AppleCare is registered to your computer, so there will be no problems if you sell it.
    If you actually want to sell it... first list it on craigslist for about 1000-1300. If nobody buys it... list it on eBay, but eBay will take over 8% of your money you earn.

13. wannabe07 macrumors member

I looked into the whole tranferring AppleCare thing when I was considering selling my MB to my mom and according to the AppleCare user agreement, you have to mail/fax in a form to Apple. Another poster said that you could call - that may be true as well.