Tired of "mail app" asking for my iCloud password

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by amnichols10, Mar 29, 2012.

1. amnichols10 macrumors regular

The mail app on my MBP constantly ask for the password for my iCloud account. Every time I save it to my keychain and it's like it doesn't remember it at all. It's so frustrating that I've given up on using the mail app altogether. I know that I'm not the only person that this is happening to and I wanted to know if there was a solution to this or is it something that I just have to deal with and hope that it goes away.

(sidenote I have OSX lion with the latest software update 10.7.3)

thanks and I hope that this makes sense.

2. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There were answers. Read the threads.

4. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Link me, I scanned through them, I actually have the same problem also. Only answer I see is reinstalling the Lion, and for such a small problem, I find that a silly solution.

Also, why not just give him the solution, instead of making him go through 3 threads? only 1 thread has anyone trying to give a solution (which by the looks of things, those don't work)

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's a solution, whether you find it silly or not.

6. WillEH, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

But, in the past I've had to reinstall thanks to certain problems, and I still get the pop up? I just find it more helpful to not link OP to 3 different threads, 2 of them don't even have any answers, just people posting that they have the same problem?!? I feel like you're trying to tell OP not to post a thread for help, and for him just to search for it, and post it in a thread that already exists.

Anyhow, at the end of the day, you're just trying to help. Just the craze lately of people just posting links to other threads is getting silly, and most the time it's to other threads that are just asking the same question without any solution, like they are sick of someone asking a question on a internet forum.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

And where is the help that you offered the OP?

8. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

I never offered any help, I never said I was. But your post you were trying to offer help, and it didn't really come across as help. So yeah, my help isn't being offered. Just trying to find the answer, and getting annoyed at people just linking me and others to countless threads, where the same people have the same issue, with no solution. If you can't help OP, just don't bother posting? I just feel you're trying extremely hard to become noticed, and answer as many threads as possible.. even if the answer doesn't have much quality. I don't know why, could be because you want to be a mod, or you really want to help, or have a big post count.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Exactly. Rather than waste time criticizing those who do offer help, you might consider offering some help yourself.
    I couldn't care less about being noticed, or being a mod or post counts. I'm helping people, whether you like my posting style or not. What are you doing? :rolleyes:

10. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

How dare you just post links and actually expect folks to spend the time reading them. I mean, you're supposed to hold everyone's hand and make nice, and fix stuff for them.

And your denial that you are doing this to pump up your post count...well, we all know that you check your post count at least ten times a day. All of you post whores, with your spam posts, are just ruining things for the rest of us whose posts are intelligent, thoughtful, helpful, and supremely articulate.

You've been outed, GGJ...and for shame!!! :rolleyes: :D :p

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

LOL! The last time I checked (and no, not 10 times a day!) it didn't need "pumping up"! Besides, I haven't found any way to get paid for a high post count, so it's pretty much worthless! Being able to help people and getting criticized by some for the way I do it is reward enough! :D

12. amnichols10 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey, didn't mean to start all of this. But I will say this about posting to other links. In my experience when I go to other threads for answers (and I admit that I didn't thoroughly search this one), they are forgot about and I haven't got any responses when I post to those threads.

I do appreciate the feedback though.

13. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

I really wasn't expecting the arrows to be in my favour, I was hoping I'd get down votes. I know you help a lot, just didn't like the fact you linked people and that was it. Thanks for the interesting debate.

14. strayts macrumors member

yes internet snobbery how original ;)

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Another one chiming in, not to offer any help, but to criticize those who do. It's not snobbery. If someone takes the time to respond to a thread and offer help, even if that help is in the form of links where an answer lies, the least people can do is click and read. There is absolutely no need to re-type the answers that have already been posted. You might want to take a look at the forum rules:

16. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Sorry to keep going on, but 2 of the 3 threads had no answers. The thread that did, it wasn't a solution. One person wanted them to reinstall the whole of Lion?! That doesn't work, as I've done it many times for other unrelated problems, and I still have the password prompt. What I was trying to say, not just to you, but to everyone, if you can't help, don't. Because I can almost guarantee that those threads didn't help OP. Maybe if they would of had a solution, that works, I wouldn't of ever posted, but they don't. It's really that simple. I just didn't understand what OP gained, or what you gained from posting 3 links.

I hate to keep going on, so I won't. I understand you'll reply with something, but if we keep replying to each other, it will go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on (BREATH)

:)

17. GGJstudios, Mar 29, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

While that solution may not have worked for you, it obviously has worked for others, so it's a valid proposed solution for the OP. Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for someone else. Haven't you derailed the thread enough? The OP asked the question, so the answer posted was for them, not for you. If that solution doesn't help you or someone else, keep looking. It doesn't negate the fact that it is a solution for some. Also, that wasn't the only solution offered in those threads.
    I did offer help, by linking to a solution that has worked for others. You didn't offer any help at all, choosing instead to derail the OP's thread by criticizing those who were at least trying to help.

18. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I guess the point is that it would have taken you less time to just type out a quick answer.

I understand completely why you tend to link to other resources or threads, but sometimes it is simpler and even more helpful to just give a short answer that's to the point.

I do like your resources though ;)

19. GGJstudios, Mar 29, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Since people don't click and read, I'll do this one more time. My post:
    From the first link:
    From the second link:
    From the third link:
    There are several proposed solutions that worked for others. It gets really old to be criticized by those who offer NO help, when I DO, especially when those criticizing are too lazy to click and read.
    The point is that it would have taken people less time to just click and read the links I posted than to waste time posting attacks on the help I offered.

20. LaWally macrumors 6502a

+100.

21. CodeBreaker macrumors 6502

None of them worked for me :D :D
    Really.

22. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I posted the "first link" solution and have found that it's not a permanent solution. Yesterday I couldn't access one of my iCloud email accounts from Mail to save my soul yet today I've had no issues at all. My conclusion is that the problem is on Apple's server side and we'll have to suffer with this until Apple fixes this on its end, if ever.

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You never know unless you try. The point is, the links contained solutions that have worked for some, so they're worth trying. There is no guarantee that a solution that worked for one will work for another.