Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I'm tired of fluctuating wifi reception and even poor reception and dropouts.

COME ON APPLE! come out with a 3.0.1 or release 3.1 already

spyda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
haha, agreed. I just hope Apple is aware and working on this issue.

spyda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10285817-233.html?tag=TOCmoreStories.0

Oh there aware. Take a look at the article above. I think Apple is holding off on 3.1 until AT&T is ready for MMS.

Well the article doesn't seem to pertain directly to my wifi problem. My problem is with the 3GS not only dropping/fluctuating signals, but performing at slower speeds all together. The original iphone 3G hits 7-10mb on a 10mb connection just fine, while the 3GS struggles between 1-3mb consistently.

johnjay1776

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2008
Well the article doesn't seem to pertain directly to my wifi problem. My problem is with the 3GS not only dropping/fluctuating signals, but performing at slower speeds all together. The original iphone 3G hits 7-10mb on a 10mb connection just fine, while the 3GS struggles between 1-3mb consistently.

My iPhone 3GS has wifi issues as well. I've got it turned off for now but I'd really like to see it resolved in the near future too. Let's hope they get a solid fix.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007

Really? My iPod touch 2G got 7-10mbps and my new 3GS gets 10-13mbps

iphonetester

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
Here is my test runs using Speed Test app.

iPhoneUpload-1.jpg

As you can see there is a definite fluctuations in download speed. It is strange that after relatively slow speed, it bumps up significantly

By the way if any of you tried using Speed Test for PC try clicking on world results - OH MY GOD - US is on 28 place in both average download and upload speeds behind even Anand Islands and others. It is hard to swallow given how much we get charged for internet in US - Comcast cable is around $40 a month.

So I guess when we report iPhone speeds we need to state the country. Europe on average is faster than US.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008

you are not alone. That describes my 3G vs 3Gs experieince to a tee

Mademan12321

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
IMG_0028.png

Same goes for me my friends. This is based off of a 10mbps download speed. I tried two different phones with the same issues.

timberga

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2009
Yep, I ran the same wifi tests on my 3g and 3gs....3gs just isn't consistent in speed, and appears to always be slower....not good eddie, not good.

thecougher

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2008
Try disabling Bluetooth

Try to disable Bluetooth and see if your WiFi performance stablizes.
I believe they are sharing the same antenna and that might be causing interference.
Just a stab at it but I have had people notice a differences.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Try to disable Bluetooth and see if your WiFi performance stablizes.
I believe they are sharing the same antenna and that might be causing interference.

great advice, if you're using BT. I never have it on and still have a wonky wifi signal.

qpid360

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Pasadena, CA
Not to crush anyone's hopes, but people who have been running 3.1 betas have reported that the wifi issues are still there. I can attest to this as well. Ran beta 1 and now beta 2. I'm still having said wifi issues. Hopefully the next beta/final will fix the problem.

normwood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2008
In a house...duh!
I'm having issues at home with my 3g since 3.0. Used to get full signal out on my deck from my Airport Extreem and now it's typically 2 "bars" and sometimes it takes a while for it to pick it up at all out there.

Steve

MadMacxxx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Newport Beach, CA

iPhoneUpload-1.jpg

As you can see there is a definite fluctuations in download speed. It is strange that after relatively slow speed, it bumps up significantly

By the way if any of you tried using Speed Test for PC try clicking on world results - OH MY GOD - US is on 28 place in both average download and upload speeds behind even Anand Islands and others. It is hard to swallow given how much we get charged for internet in US - Comcast cable is around $40 a month.

So I guess when we report iPhone speeds we need to state the country. Europe on average is faster than US.

spending $60 a month with Cox, waiting on AT&T U-Verse to hit my street so I can have slightly better TV and internet for a slightly lower bundle price.....

My global standing...
Picture1-4.png

MadMacxxx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Newport Beach, CA
I'm having issues at home with my 3g since 3.0. Used to get full signal out on my deck from my Airport Extreem and now it's typically 2 "bars" and sometimes it takes a while for it to pick it up at all out there.

Steve

try running a bandwidth tester like the speedtest.net app and see what bit rate your getting out there is, and use Wi-Fi Track to view the through put. Perhaps 3.0 is displaying your airport extreme's signal strength more accurately now? Until you run those tests, you wont really know... I use a dual band airport extreme and have also noticed significantly reduced signal outside and reduced reception in general. Hoping 3.1 addresses all of this.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Are people with multiple carriers having this same problem? How do you know its not a network issue, rather than a 3GS issue?

pbateman

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
My wifi reception sucks since upgrading to 3.0 in my 3G. It used to connect beautifully at home, after the upgrade it loses connection constantly, cannot find the network, sometimes just gets 1 bar whereas before it was full strength anywhere in the apartment. My laptop connects great, finds the network just fine etc....the only thing that has changed is 3.0 on the phone

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
While mine doesn't fluctuate I do get slower speeds only on download. From the computer I get ~900 kB/s while the 3gs gets ~150kB/s. I'll have to try my old 3g when the other half gets home.

megadon

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008

iPhoneUpload-1.jpg

I don't know why, my network limits uploads

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 72

Oilbrnr

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Both of my 3G's now have WiFi issues since the 3.0 upgrade. Pretty sad that this wasn't caught in testing.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I am having the same WiFi issues on my 3G iPhone. All thanks to the 3.0 upgrade! My wireless router is in a bedroom on the second floor of my house. I used get WiFi all way on the other side of my house, in my garage prior to 3.0. Now I don't even see my home WiFi on my iPhone while in my garage.

Hey Apple, it's bad enough that AT&T has degraded my iPhone features but when you do it, well that really hurts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.