Tired of wifi issues on 3GS, 3.1 please hurry up!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Jul 15, 2009.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I'm tired of fluctuating wifi reception and even poor reception and dropouts.

COME ON APPLE! come out with a 3.0.1 or release 3.1 already

2. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

haha, agreed. I just hope Apple is aware and working on this issue.

3. Smrtphoneaddict macrumors member

4. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Well the article doesn't seem to pertain directly to my wifi problem. My problem is with the 3GS not only dropping/fluctuating signals, but performing at slower speeds all together. The original iphone 3G hits 7-10mb on a 10mb connection just fine, while the 3GS struggles between 1-3mb consistently.

5. johnjay1776 macrumors member

My iPhone 3GS has wifi issues as well. I've got it turned off for now but I'd really like to see it resolved in the near future too. Let's hope they get a solid fix.

6. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Really? My iPod touch 2G got 7-10mbps and my new 3GS gets 10-13mbps

7. iphonetester macrumors member

Here is my test runs using Speed Test app.

[​IMG]

As you can see there is a definite fluctuations in download speed. It is strange that after relatively slow speed, it bumps up significantly

By the way if any of you tried using Speed Test for PC try clicking on world results - OH MY GOD - US is on 28 place in both average download and upload speeds behind even Anand Islands and others. It is hard to swallow given how much we get charged for internet in US - Comcast cable is around $40 a month.

So I guess when we report iPhone speeds we need to state the country. Europe on average is faster than US.

8. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I swapped out a 3Gs for wifi issues, the new one acted the exact same way.

9. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

you are not alone. That describes my 3G vs 3Gs experieince to a tee

10. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

Same goes for me my friends. This is based off of a 10mbps download speed. I tried two different phones with the same issues.

11. army91c macrumors 6502a

Hmmm I guess I do have the same shoddy results as the 2 of you....

12. timberga macrumors member

Yep, I ran the same wifi tests on my 3g and 3gs....3gs just isn't consistent in speed, and appears to always be slower....not good eddie, not good.

13. thecougher macrumors newbie

Try disabling Bluetooth

Try to disable Bluetooth and see if your WiFi performance stablizes.
    I believe they are sharing the same antenna and that might be causing interference.
    Just a stab at it but I have had people notice a differences.

14. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

great advice, if you're using BT. I never have it on and still have a wonky wifi signal.

15. qpid360 macrumors 6502

qpid360

Not to crush anyone's hopes, but people who have been running 3.1 betas have reported that the wifi issues are still there. I can attest to this as well. Ran beta 1 and now beta 2. I'm still having said wifi issues. Hopefully the next beta/final will fix the problem.

16. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

I'm having issues at home with my 3g since 3.0. Used to get full signal out on my deck from my Airport Extreem and now it's typically 2 "bars" and sometimes it takes a while for it to pick it up at all out there.

Steve

17. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

spending $60 a month with Cox, waiting on AT&T U-Verse to hit my street so I can have slightly better TV and internet for a slightly lower bundle price.....

My global standing...[​IMG]

18. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

try running a bandwidth tester like the speedtest.net app and see what bit rate your getting out there is, and use Wi-Fi Track to view the through put. Perhaps 3.0 is displaying your airport extreme's signal strength more accurately now? Until you run those tests, you wont really know... I use a dual band airport extreme and have also noticed significantly reduced signal outside and reduced reception in general. Hoping 3.1 addresses all of this.

19. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Are people with multiple carriers having this same problem? How do you know its not a network issue, rather than a 3GS issue?

20. pbateman macrumors regular

My wifi reception sucks since upgrading to 3.0 in my 3G. It used to connect beautifully at home, after the upgrade it loses connection constantly, cannot find the network, sometimes just gets 1 bar whereas before it was full strength anywhere in the apartment. My laptop connects great, finds the network just fine etc....the only thing that has changed is 3.0 on the phone

21. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

While mine doesn't fluctuate I do get slower speeds only on download. From the computer I get ~900 kB/s while the 3gs gets ~150kB/s. I'll have to try my old 3g when the other half gets home.

22. megadon macrumors 6502

I don't know why, my network limits uploads

Attached Files:

23. Oilbrnr macrumors 6502

Both of my 3G's now have WiFi issues since the 3.0 upgrade. Pretty sad that this wasn't caught in testing.

24. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

Priority is given to downloads.

25. Resist macrumors 68030

I am having the same WiFi issues on my 3G iPhone. All thanks to the 3.0 upgrade! My wireless router is in a bedroom on the second floor of my house. I used get WiFi all way on the other side of my house, in my garage prior to 3.0. Now I don't even see my home WiFi on my iPhone while in my garage.

Hey Apple, it's bad enough that AT&T has degraded my iPhone features but when you do it, well that really hurts.