Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I'm about to pull the trigger on a titanium AW5 but am getting mixed signals about the free sport band. I've been to 2 Apple stores and multiple reps say you don't get an extra band, you just get the band you choose when you make your own combo. But various articles on the web and people on this forum are saying you get the grey sports band AND whatever band you choose for the price. I'd like to get the titanium with a leather band which lists at $899, so that should come with the leather band I pick AND the grey sports band, or only the leather band?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Awesome thanks guys. I wonder why the Apple reps are so clueless?

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Holiday temp staff. On a side note, everyone be nice to retail employees this holiday season please. They are trying their best with the short notice they have.
Yes indeed.
I have worked in a store. I always appreciated a customer showing or explaining to me what they knew.
Please take them over to a computer and show them. Don’t bust the balls, there is so much to learn working in a store. Surely not as easy at it may appear

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Holiday temp staff. On a side note, everyone be nice to retail employees this holiday season please. They are trying their best with the short notice they have.
Yes indeed.
I have worked in a store. I always appreciated a customer showing or explaining to me what they knew.
Please take them over to a computer and show them. Don’t bust the balls, there is so much to learn working in a store. Surely not as easy at it may appear
This. After working as a fire safety inspector, I always appreciate customers that act nice and do not nitpick what you claim or go angry because of something going wrong. Truly saves everybody’s time and effort.

So, to anyone who is skimming this thread, be nice to workers in those stores And try your best to respect their hand work. Be nice.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009

Apple employees are always awesome and helpful. In the first store the guy was definitely an Apple vet and the 2nd store it was a noob but he asked his supervisor who confirmed no included grey band. Kind of bums me out because I would have had a titanium one on release day.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Apple employees are always awesome and helpful. In the first store the guy was definitely an Apple vet and the 2nd store it was a noob but he asked his supervisor who confirmed no included grey band. Kind of bums me out because I would have had a titanium one on release day.
According to Apple site “what’s in the box”, similar to the ceramic, you can select the band that is on the watch and the dedicated sports band is also included

Reactions: spinedoc77

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I asked the Apple employee if the Ti I ordered online for store pickup came with the sport band. He said he didn’t think So. I accepted that. When I opened the box it contained the sport loop and the gray sport band. I went back to the employee and showed him the box did contain two bands to which he was very appreciative.

Reactions: Mr.C

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2015
My AW Ti did indeed include the grey sports band as others have mentioned, but given the price of the watch the "extra" band ain't exactly "free" LOL.

Reactions: Mr.C

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2015
True but they could also have charged the same without including the extra band.
Actually a pretty good deal for sure, considering the SS is $799 on leather it's only $100 more to get Ti on leather which includes the exclusive sport strap. So really the Ti upgrade is only $50 in the end.

Reactions: rMBP2013 and Mr.C

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Actually a pretty good deal for sure, considering the SS is $799 on leather it's only $100 more to get Ti on leather which includes the exclusive sport strap. So really the Ti upgrade is only $50 in the end.

I agree. Although I wish they had included a different coloured strap like black or dark blue. I may end up selling my extra band anyway as I don’t really use the regular sport bands anymore. My daily band is the black Nike sport loop.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
It’s does yes, but it’s part of the package you pay for, not free. Hence how I answered the question.

Well yes it’s not free but at the same time they had no obligation to include it either. As far as I’m aware this is the first time they’ve included a second band other then the far more expensive Hermes models. Normally an extra band is not included.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Well yes it’s not free but at the same time they had no obligation to include it either. As far as I’m aware this is the first time they’ve included a second band other then the far more expensive Hermes models. Normally an extra band is not included.
It’s worth Apples while to include it though as it helps make an already expensive smartwatch slightly more attractive to the consumer. It’s not generosity at the end of the day, it’s marketing with Apples best interests at heart. Those straps cost Apple less than $5 in the grand scheme.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.